Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

World's Strongest Man question

This has probably been asked before, but since I have a comment to go with it I'll ask...Is the World's Strongest Man competition a drug-tested series of events? I haven't watched it in quite awhile and I watched some of the 2010 qualifiers last night and that dude Derek Poundstone is a beast! He looks like he could switch gears from WSM to bodybuilding pretty easily with a cut and his arms are like caricatures, they're so huge and developed. Anyway, that question immediately popped into my head when I saw the guy. Impressive, for sure.
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post
    ...Is the World's Strongest Man competition a drug-tested series of events?
    No, not even close

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This has probably been asked before, but since I have a comment to go with it I'll ask...Is the World's Strongest Man competition a drug-tested series of events? I haven't watched it in quite awhile and I watched some of the 2010 qualifiers last night and that dude Derek Poundstone is a beast! He looks like he could switch gears from WSM to bodybuilding pretty easily with a cut and his arms are like caricatures, they're so huge and developed. Anyway, that question immediately popped into my head when I saw the guy. Impressive, for sure.
    Not that I've ever heard of.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cozener is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suppose if they drug tested they'd have to rename the event
    No one raindrop believes it is to be blamed for the flood. -anonymous

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    They test for certain drugs like amphetamines, but not steroids. Mariusz was actually banned in 2004, supposedly due to a positive test for *******, but with the politics going on in the sport at the time there is more to the story.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    as mentioned above it was previously tested for some drugs (not steroids) which led to a bit of a rift when someone was given a suspension (if I understand the story correct). ihprop1 do they still do that test or did that go out with the whole IFSA thing?
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    as mentioned above it was previously tested for some drugs (not steroids) which led to a bit of a rift when someone was given a suspension (if I understand the story correct). ihprop1 do they still do that test or did that go out with the whole IFSA thing?
    I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure they still test for stuff like speed, coke, meth, etc.

There was a lot of stuff going on back in 2005 when IFSA and WSM parted ways. Drug testing was only a small part of it. 5 years later, there is no IFSA and WSM is as strong as ever.

Despite the drug allegations, Mariusz still goes through life a mile a minute and does things that would leave most men in awe, bowing at his feet. He got a speeding ticket for some ridiculous speed in his brand new Lamborghini a few weeks ago in Chicago. The man lives the life most 20 year olds dream about.

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dudes are definitely a different breed...but I figured they must juice, the training must be unreal and the recovery demands brutal. Poundstone was a few weeks from a quad pull and the big British guy he was going up against pulled a bicep DURING the competition and they still came in 1 and 2 in the qualifier...pretty amazing.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could see him in Chicago. More Poles there than in Warsaw. Reminds me been ages since I had some real pyrogy not that box pierogi stuff. Anyone that wants to know why there are so many good polish strongmen need to eat some of that and Halushka. My sons are 1/2 Scott, 1/2 Pole hopefully they'll be strong.

Dudes are definitely a different breed...but I figured they must juice, the training must be unreal and the recovery demands brutal. Poundstone was a few weeks from a quad pull and the big British guy he was going up against pulled a bicep DURING the competition and they still came in 1 and 2 in the qualifier...pretty amazing.
    I think Terry Hollands tore his bicep about 6 weeks before at the Giants Live contest in London. Impressive as hell that he competed and made the finals. The best part is from the coverage he just seemed like "Ya, it happend, let's get going" Damn he is tough.

I think Terry Hollands tore his bicep about 6 weeks before at the Giants Live contest in London. Impressive as hell that he competed and made the finals. The best part is from the coverage he just seemed like "Ya, it happend, let's get going" Damn he is tough.
    Terry tore his bicep in mid June at Europe's Strongest Man. WSM was in mid September. But yeah, competing at WSM just 3 months out from a bicep tear and surgery is unreal.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know a few strongmen who claim to have competed drug-free (Phil Pfister and Magnus Samuelsson are two that come to mind).
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    I know a few strongmen who claim to have competed drug-free (Phil Pfister and Magnus Samuelsson are two that come to mind).
    I'm not going to accuse anyone of any kind of drug use unless they openly admit it, but if anyone could compete drug free, it's Phil. He has what they call "tard strength". I'm not saying he didn't have to train to compete at the top level, but even if he never trained a day in his life, he would still be the strongest man most people know.

graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000)
    As to Poundstone, I believe he is a police officer or fireman, so I would say yes at least for him. Definitely a beast though.

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    Terry tore his bicep in mid June at Europe's Strongest Man. WSM was in mid September. But yeah, competing at WSM just 3 months out from a bicep tear and surgery is unreal.
    Sorry, I probably missed some of the commentary (happens when WSM is on and wife's trying to sleep) He grabbed it a few times like it was killing him, but you're right...no whining, pretty cool stuff.

I'm not going to accuse anyone of any kind of drug use unless they openly admit it, but if anyone could compete drug free, it's Phil. He has what they call "tard strength". I'm not saying he didn't have to train to compete at the top level, but even if he never trained a day in his life, he would still be the strongest man most people know.
    That's impressive, I'll have to check him out. My cousin is like that and he was unbelievable when I took him to Judo class as a teen, he outwrangled everyone with brute strength and even gave the instructor a run for his money. Hmmm...strength may actually have some carryover to real life...

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This thread needs some Poundstone

Originally Posted by socket View Post

I think him throwing around the Inch is as impressive as the big benches, nice!

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think him throwing around the Inch is as impressive as the big benches, nice!
    As somebody who sucks at overhead movements, I was particularly impressed with the 414 lb axle presses.

Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure they still test for stuff like speed, coke, meth, etc.

There was a lot of stuff going on back in 2005 when IFSA and WSM parted ways. Drug testing was only a small part of it. 5 years later, there is no IFSA and WSM is as strong as ever.

Despite the drug allegations, Mariusz still goes through life a mile a minute and does things that would leave most men in awe, bowing at his feet. He got a speeding ticket for some ridiculous speed in his brand new Lamborghini a few weeks ago in Chicago. The man lives the life most 20 year olds dream about.
    Yeah there's not enough ******* in the world that would allow me to pull a giant cargo plane down a runway behind me !!!

Drugs or no drugs those guys are amazing. I love watching those competitions.

I always think, how great would it be to live next door to one of those guys? Hey Thor von Thorson ! Can you help me move the furniture around?

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    As to Poundstone, I believe he is a police officer or fireman, so I would say yes at least for him. Definitely a beast though.
    Since when did police and firemen get tested for hgh or roids? I know a few firemen who juice.

Originally Posted by flat6nut View Post
    Since when did police and firemen get tested for hgh or roids? I know a few firemen who juice.
    Yeah....wasn't Ronnie Coleman a cop??

Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000)

Remember....

Even Jack La Lanne was an admitted "juicer".

Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000)
    Poundstone is a beast no question, but this years WSM is going to "Big Baby" Brian Shaw!!
    "Is it REALLY a passion if it gets abandoned the first time things get tough?

If it is then I suggest finding another passion because things will be tough MUCH more than they will be easy."

-Dave Tate

I'm agreeing with Mike. He's going to take it to a new level.

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    After reading this thread last night I spent an hour watching youtube videos of Poundstone....incredible to say the least. It takes huge stones to push your body that hard.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by socket View Post
    Never ceases to amaze the hell out of me. Unbelievable.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    .but I figured they must juice,
    They don't all juice. The pro strongman I train with says he was clean when he won his most impressive title. I believe him, he has no reason to lie to me.

the big British guy he was going up against pulled a bicep DURING the competition
    Bicep tears are the most common injury in strongman. I tore mine at masters nationals last September.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Bicep tears are the most common injury in strongman. I tore mine at masters nationals last September.
    OUCH BTO. What were you doing when you tore it? Is it avoidable or just a result of how hard you guys push? The heaviest rocks I ever pick up are those I dig up out of my yard when I plant something.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Originally Posted by Hikemike View Post
    but this years WSM is going to "Big Baby" Brian Shaw!!
    Yup. It was his last year if he hadn't dropped that sandbag. He's a hell of a guy, always friendly, always helpful, and never boastful (unlike some other prominent guys). He will be a very deserving champion.

Originally Posted by Hikemike View Post
    Poundstone is a beast no question, but this years WSM is going to "Big Baby" Brian Shaw!!
    Wow, I just saw him pull 430 kg...had to look it up and it's right at 948 lbs. Ummmm, yeah...