Thread: Greyskull LP

Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Greyskull LP

Anyone tried this out? I had a beginner friend of mine get on it a couple of months ago and he's seen great gains strength and body composition wise. I definitely think it's a better beginner program than SS. Plus the diet advice over there is much more sensible than GOMAD etc. Here's the link:

http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89

Monday
    Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
    Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness

Wednesday
    Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
    Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
    Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
    Neck Harness

Friday
    Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
    Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
    5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift
    2.5lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
    When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

I'd definitely advise getting the ebook if you want to give it a shot. Way more detail in there.
    Live dangerously and you live right.

inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50) inebriate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started my own variation of GSLP last week. I put the squats and deadlifts at the beginning of the session and I added dips and rows. I'm not doing the neck harness or the frequency chins.

Time will tell.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like the 2x5, 1x5+ rep scheme on the main lifts. I like the more sensible amounts of weight added to the bar each session (compared to SS; I remember the first time I ran SS, I started most of the exercises far below the point at which the book says you should start, and I'm certain that if I progressed in 10lb jumps on squats up front, I would have stalled by the end of the first month). I like the option of using power cleans as warm ups for deadlifts. I don't like putting squats towards the end of a session, and I doubt that most rank novices can do weighted chins (but if they can, super!). Not sure that neck exercises are all that important for most trainees, but there certainly are sports that call for it.

Over all, not a bad program. I'd prefer squats at the start rather than towards the end, but either way the program's fairly well balanced, and I can see people making plenty of progress on it over a long time. And that's what counts, ultimately.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The reason the squats are at the end is that the last 5+ set is pretty much done to failure and most people wont feel like doing much else afterwards. I think this is a good add on to have in the program, it lets you really test yourself on the last set. You start the program with a weight you can do for around 8-10 reps and then the first two sets of 5 act as heavy warm up sets then as you increase the weight the reps on the third set begin to drop until all 3 are heavy sets then once the reps drop below 5 on the last set you reset. It actually enables you to make progress for a pretty long period of time which is good for beginner.

Plus the fact that you're doing frequent chins and pushups/dips everyday along with a couple of conditioning workouts i think people are less likely to end up a lard ass because of being scared of 'overtraining'

The progress might be slightly slower than the SS LP but i do like the programming far more with this setup.
    Live dangerously and you live right.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^ Fair enough reasoning.

Bump, cus more noobs need to read this.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

phillypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    Anyone tried this out? I had a beginner friend of mine get on it a couple of months ago and he's seen great gains strength and body composition wise. I definitely think it's a better beginner program than SS. Plus the diet advice over there is much more sensible than GOMAD etc.

I'd definitely advise getting the ebook if you want to give it a shot. Way more detail in there.
    The Greyskull LP is a great program and I think it holds up way better than SS. I'd recommend it to anyone. I was on a SS style program for awhile and really hit a wall with it. I also felt like a centaur cause i was only gaining mass in my legs and ass. I wasn't gaining any upper body mass. I switched to the Greyskull LP and made huge gains, and put a lot of mass on my upper body. I like the reset style much better and haven't felt like I've really hit a wall since switching over. The book is definitely worth a read and the site has tons of great advice.

Pete
    Last edited by phillypete; 05-22-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: double signature

vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vkk1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've been on the program since December and here's what i gained so far:

Squat: 135x6 -> 240x5
    Bench: 120x8 -> 165x5
    Deadlift: 275x8 -> 405x1
    Press: 80x10 -> 120x5

BW: 181 -> 197
    Pant size: 32x32 -> 30x32

Everything is still gaining with no signs of stall. Form on squats could be better, but it will improve over resets.

What makes this program work REALLY well is the resets. They aren't seen as a bad thing. Resets are your chance to set rep PRs and are a great indicator of progress. If you repped 200 on squats for 8, your first time around, and after a reset at 245, you rep 200 for 15 or so, you've gotten much stronger. Its not like on SS in which you take a reset, and hit the 3x5 and move on. I never really saw the point of stopping at some number just because the program says so. After each reset, I've noticed that I've gotten significantly bigger, as well.

Second, i think the chins everyday idea is pure genius. People that go to prison do chinups all the time, and they don't have access to the food that you have yet they still come out huge once they get released. I've added quite a bit of arm and back size from doing chinups everyday. It doesn't even have to be that many chins. I've been doing like 15 chin ups a day, 6 days a week whenever i pass by the chinup bar i rigged up at home. Only thing id advise is that you need to work up to lots of chins a day. Otherwise, you are going to end up backing off for a bit before continuing.

I recently purchased the Greyskull LP ebook, and Id say it was the best investment i've made towards my lifting career. After reading that book, all you need is this base program. It can be adapted towards anything. Need to lose bodyfat? well, add some of the plugins and tweak your diet a bit, and you'll be well on your way to doing that. Need to gain mass? the books got exactly what you need to do it. Starting out a bit on the chubby side and want to get leaner and have more muscle? The book will get you there as well. ive also found, with the help of the book, that the program is one of the most adaptable programs ever. If you've stalled out on adding weight every workout, despite resets, the book instructs you on what to do as well. Its a basic template that can be tweaked well into your advanced years of lifting, whether your goal is to compete in bodybuilding or to compete in powerlifting or just look good and be strong, this book has everything you need to get there.

1 last thing. The owner of Strengthvillain, Johnny Pain, is one of the nicest people i've ever interacted with. When i was 177, i was afraid to gain weight. This wasn't a eating disorder thing, it was more of a "I don't want to end up a fat mess" kinda thing. I consulted with him, and he set me up on the right track. Id say his advice is the reason i gained weight and dropped a pant size. His advice is very direct, and its amazing how open he is to help you out. As stated earlier in this thread, Johnny Pain's diet advice is extremely simple. If you need to gain weight, he'll get you there. If you need to lean out, he'll help you put together a plan that will get you lean at a pace that you will be able to keep up with.

Registered User LifeBeginsAt10k's Avatar
    LifeBeginsAt10k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bumping this for a quick question..

"Bodyweight Chins are done every day."

I'm assuming every day means 7 days a weak and not only on workout days?

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I haven't read the e-book, so I can't speak to the "gospel," but I assume he means 7 days a week. That said, here's what I would do. Take 40-50% of the max bw chins you can do and perform that amount many times a day (try to hit 20-30+ reps total if you can), don't do extra chins on the days they are programmed (eg Weds), and take another day (or two) off from chins completely (maybe Tues). So just 5-6 days a week. Same advice for pushups, but try to hit 70-100+ reps per day if you can.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Registered User bulkinseasonbro's Avatar
    bulkinseasonbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    The reason the squats are at the end is that the last 5+ set is pretty much done to failure and most people wont feel like doing much else afterwards. I think this is a good add on to have in the program, it lets you really test yourself on the last set. You start the program with a weight you can do for around 8-10 reps and then the first two sets of 5 act as heavy warm up sets then as you increase the weight the reps on the third set begin to drop until all 3 are heavy sets then once the reps drop below 5 on the last set you reset. It actually enables you to make progress for a pretty long period of time which is good for beginner.

Plus the fact that you're doing frequent chins and pushups/dips everyday along with a couple of conditioning workouts i think people are less likely to end up a lard ass because of being scared of 'overtraining'

The progress might be slightly slower than the SS LP but i do like the programming far more with this setup.
    Sorry for this response but where does it say to do pushups/dips everyday. I only see the chins.
    Is there something that can be done instead of the neckharness? (could you do the ICF 5x5 accessories instead)?

Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great routine. bump!

Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blainex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vpac View Post
    Great routine. bump!

Definitely run Phraks if you're going to GSLP.

It's a good program, and I feel like it has a lot more flexibility and lasting power than SS. I hopped on it for a little bit after my last cut to help rebuild my squats.

Steffen1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do the 2 day version of it, and i really like the program.
    looking to turn it into a 2-split, since i prefer 2 rest days between full body workouts.
    =each excersise only once a week.

machrx5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by inebriate View Post
    I started my own variation of GSLP last week. I put the squats and deadlifts at the beginning of the session and I added dips and rows. I'm not doing the neck harness or the frequency chins.

Time will tell.
    What has time told?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by machrx5 View Post
    What has time told?
    You just bumped a thread to ask someone(who hasnt posted since 2013) about a program they started 7 years ago...

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    You just bumped a thread to ask someone(who hasnt posted since 2013) about a program they started 7 years ago...
    but did time speak?

Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blitzilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    but did time speak?
    known pôwerlifter program