Thread: frozen dinners

cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

frozen dinners

my husband is out of town next week for a competition with school, so i'll be a single mom for the week.
    i've been debating picking up some frozen dinners to make my meal prep a little faster and evenings a little easier.
    do you think they could have a temporary place in a good diet? i would probably supplement the meals with additional veggies/salad.
    i will try to prep some foods over the weekend while he is still home, but i think those could add a little variety to flavors and textures since i won't really have the time to make a fresh meal every evening.
    I'm gonna be one to watch in 2012. Just wait and see.

Dirty Old Uncle Sam Likes His Women Fit and Trim
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136368681&page=1

*Team Amazon* Sisterhood of Iron

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I make and freeze my own meals, but I prep protein once or twice a week. If you marinate some salmon or chicken breasts and grill/roast, cook taco seasoned turkey to scramble with eggs & vegs, make turkey/lean beef meatballs to freeze....you should be good to go if you have some veggies to add in. I make a big batch of chili (eye of round steak is really lean, or I use chicken and turkey with white beans) and freeze for fast meals. Most pre-made frozen dinners seriously skimp on protein since they are trying to keep it cheap.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Becca89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I definitely agree with the above post. Frozen dinners also have a lot of additives and preservatives in them. It's easy to make your own frozen meals though. You can find recipes online or get books at the library.

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do the same as Rowyn. There's always something I can pull out for a quick dinner. One of my faves is turkey burgers. I cook them and then individually wrap and freeze them.

Still, I have a stockpile of one kind of Lean Cusine (steak tips and broccoli) that actually has decent macros and doesn't taste terrible. They're only 150 cals, but I add extra broccoli and a salad. I don't live on them by any means, but those are my "Crap, I'm in a hurry and have nothing prepared" meal. In fact, I think I've only eaten one in the last 4 weeks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I make and freeze my own meals, but I prep protein once or twice a week. If you marinate some salmon or chicken breasts and grill/roast, cook taco seasoned turkey to scramble with eggs & vegs, make turkey/lean beef meatballs to freeze....you should be good to go if you have some veggies to add in. I make a big batch of chili (eye of round steak is really lean, or I use chicken and turkey with white beans) and freeze for fast meals. Most pre-made frozen dinners seriously skimp on protein since they are trying to keep it cheap.
    Ditto. Frozen dinners are pure crap (to me anyway) the amount of sodium, and preservatives is kind of gross. Those things just don't seem natural to me.

I love using my slow-cooker and then freezing meals. Mostly stews, soups, chili. Rice dishes and meat are always good too. Or, you could always resort to the good 'ol can 'o tuna and veggies! Boring and bland, but damn quick!
    The sexiest parts of my body? My brain, my spine, and my guts.

"Don’t be afraid to go after your dreams and goals. You only fail if you quit on them. Everything else is just a setback. But don’t be like 98% of the world who complains about their lives but are too cowardly to do anything about it. If you want something, GO TAKE IT. Nothing will be handed to most of you." - Layne Norton

cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cynthia_waz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kait123 View Post
    Ditto. Frozen dinners are pure crap (to me anyway) the amount of sodium, and preservatives is kind of gross. Those things just don't seem natural to me.

I love using my slow-cooker and then freezing meals. Mostly stews, soups, chili. Rice dishes and meat are always good too. Or, you could always resort to the good 'ol can 'o tuna and veggies! Boring and bland, but damn quick!
    alright, alright. i knew that the frozen dinners were really not the best option... i guess i just got over concerned about not having time all week. my husband and i always take turns making dinner / keeping baby happy. this will be my first time at it alone for this long! maybe i'll make a big pot of chili for the week...
    I'm gonna be one to watch in 2012. Just wait and see.

Dirty Old Uncle Sam Likes His Women Fit and Trim
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136368681&page=1

*Team Amazon* Sisterhood of Iron

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you have a Trader Joe's they have some good frozen things that are easy and healthy. I like the chili lime chicken burgers especially. They're 150 calories and 19g protein each, and 8 minutes to cook from frozen.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up This is the Way to Go!

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    ^^^^^
    This is what I do as well, every Sunday!
    "Eating to lose is a mind Fawk, but there is science and logic behind it, then we'll get you bulking and mess with your mind some more" - Freebird
    "I lift heavy things, then put them back down...seriously, it's not rocket science..." -Kimm4
    "My two cents, not everyone wants to hear it though... If doing this was easy, everyone would be fit." - Rowyn
    Success is relative...Define Your Own! - Soopamyko

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cynthia_waz View Post
    alright, alright. i knew that the frozen dinners were really not the best option... i guess i just got over concerned about not having time all week. my husband and i always take turns making dinner / keeping baby happy. this will be my first time at it alone for this long! maybe i'll make a big pot of chili for the week...
    Cook when the baby is napping I have three kids and husband is usually not home before 8, I sympathize.

Oh, Amy's, Smart Chicken and Jennie O make turkey and chicken bratwursts, italian sausages, that sorta stuff. I prefer Amy's since its nitrate free, but most of them are perfect for fast meals. I open up the Italian sausages and make meatballs or toppings for pizza with them. I make salmon patties with canned (or fresh) salmon, those are great on a bed of cooked spinach or as a sandwich.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Shantess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to eat way too many of these things and since beginning eating clean, I look back in horror at my past nutritional habits. With a little bit of planning and prep before hubby leaves, you definitely get by without them. The tips above about crockpots, soups, chili, etc. are great. Also, never forget the option of just plain' ol cooking in bulk. We usually bake about a dozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in one shot at the start of the week then we just take 'em out of the fridge and reheat as needed with some different spices or healthy sauces on top. You can do this with a pork loin or fish fillets, too. I usually pair this with some frozen veggies nuked for a few minutes in the microwave...same amount of time as a frozen dinner and way better for you

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cynthia_waz View Post
    my husband is out of town next week for a competition with school, so i'll be a single mom for the week.
    i've been debating picking up some frozen dinners to make my meal prep a little faster and evenings a little easier.
    do you think they could have a temporary place in a good diet? i would probably supplement the meals with additional veggies/salad.
    i will try to prep some foods over the weekend while he is still home, but i think those could add a little variety to flavors and textures since i won't really have the time to make a fresh meal every evening.
    Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!
    Of course you can make them fit into an otherwise healthy diet, but they suck!
    It's up to you, but really, it's not hard at all to eat healthy, satisfying meals for one (or one and a half). My husband is frequently gone for a week at a time for business. Usually on Sunday, I'll plan my meals for the week, get my shopping done before he leaves, and make a big batch of something that will last me at least a couple days at a time.

Suggestions:
    a big batch of turkey chili and blueberry bran muffins. Freeze the muffins, freeze the chili into individual servings, and you've got several easy servings of a hearty, healthy meal.

family pack of chicken breasts - cut into thin strips, marinate in italian dressing, broil. Use in cobb salad, on sandwiches, in chicken salad, etc.

taco salad - saute lean ground beef/buffalo/turkey, throw in can of nonfat refried beans. Dress with salsa, light sour cream, avocado, etc. Make tacos/nachos/taco salad. Enough for several meals.

Gourmet sandwiches and soup - get yourself the fixin's for some great sandwiches. Really good bread, good cheese, deli meats, assorted veggies, etc. and some good soup. Have a nice side salad or some fresh fruit.

I use the time that my husband is gone to eat simply and purely according to my own dietary needs and wants. It's a nice break :-)
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm w/ rowyn and the others on frozen meals. my father really likes frozen meals, and he adds more veggies to them, so at the very least, do that. probably need more protein too. i'd say kashi and amy's are the "best" brands. but, really, this weekend just make stuff for the week and freeze it. and your idea for chili is a good one. and do you have a crockpot? that would be easy. also, drea mentioned t joe's - they have salmon patties that are nothing but salmon. they also have precooked chicken (the rosemary balsamic and lemon pepper are both yummy). they have other stuff too. and rowyn mentioned jennie-o - they have good turkey burgers. that's a good option too. but, really, if you plan ahead of time, you can totally make meals for the week.