Kajual has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gain muscle but don't lose fat.

I'm a pretty small girl, 4'11 and around 95 pounds. Fair to say I'm pretty skinny whenever I get in a tank top and bathing suit.

Lately I'm just tired of being so lanky and frail looking, and I'd really like to know what exercises I could do to gain some strength, muscle, and bulk to my body. But not overwhelming to where I look way too muscle-y. Everyone I usually talk to that exercises is practically trying to lose weight so they never know how to tell me what I should be doing.

So yeah, any help would be very much appreciated!

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kajual View Post
    I'm a pretty small girl, 4'11 and around 95 pounds. Fair to say I'm pretty skinny whenever I get in a tank top and bathing suit.

Lately I'm just tired of being so lanky and frail looking, and I'd really like to know what exercises I could do to gain some strength, muscle, and bulk to my body. But not overwhelming to where I look way too muscle-y. Everyone I usually talk to that exercises is practically trying to lose weight so they never know how to tell me what I should be doing.

So yeah, any help would be very much appreciated!
    eat more and lift heavy. you won't get "too muscle-y." see the sticky on calculating cals and macro's, figure out maintenance, then eat at a surplus. or, if you're not too concerned w/ that, just eat more than you're eating now. do you know your current cals? find a good lifting prgm. a good place to start is the new rules of lifting for women, but there are lots of programs out there.

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, at 4'11"' you actually have no chance of being "lanky", so don't worry about that.

Also, being female, you don't have to worry about getting too bulky, either. andrerox80 has said it: eat more and lift heavy. The concept is really simple, actually building the mass, that is going to take a lot of time.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm your height & have 7 pounds on you...I think it's all in my butt & my tummy but anyway!!

Do what Andrerox said, lift more weights. Compound exercises are best because they challenge more muscles. (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, row, lunge are my favorites)

Eat more food. The muscle mass you want comes from a combination of challenging your muscles, and giving them more fuel (food). If you eat in a caloric surplus, and lift heavy, you'll get stronger, gain some muscle mass, and maybe a titch of fat, but at our height & YOUR weight, you'll be fine. Use the stickies in the nutritional section to figure out a starting caloric range for maintenance, for gaining, and for losing. Then get yourself into the free weights room and get goin

good luck!
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.