Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dm2mcintyre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smith Machine Squats

Hi Guys, I am at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack. I use Rippetoe's program to work out so I am obviously facing a dilemma. Can I use the smith machine? I've heard its not a great exercise but at the moment there is no alternative. Thanks in advance for any help.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    In.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    In.
    lulz

Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000) Justin Buchana is just really nice. (+1000)
    Something is better than nothing.... But seriously ask your self what other gyms and options are around and how bad you want to be the best you can be.

Look into switching gyms or perhaps even seeing if your local collage/hs leaves there weight rooms open to the public for certain hours.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dm2mcintyre View Post
    Hi Guys, I am at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack. I use Rippetoe's program to work out so I am obviously facing a dilemma. Can I use the smith machine? I've heard its not a great exercise but at the moment there is no alternative. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Your "gym" doesn't have a squat rack? I'm sorry, but you're not in a gym and unless you live in the Australian outback or are stationed on an Antarctic research outpost, there should be more gyms available to you in your area. Look around.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Hi Guys, I am at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack. I use Rippetoe's program to work out so I am obviously facing a dilemma. Can I use the smith machine?
    Probably.

Maybe.

No.

^ One of those is the right answer.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hmm, can you make a pizza without sauce? Yes, but it wouldnt be very good. Can you substitute ketchup for tomatoe sauce? Yes, but it wouldnt be as good.

Seriously do a routine that doesent revolve around the freeweight squat if you cant freeweight squat.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    Hmm, can you make a pizza without sauce? Yes, but it wouldnt be very good. Can you substitute ketchup for tomatoe sauce? Yes, but it wouldnt be as good.

Seriously do a routine that doesent revolve around the freeweight squat if you cant freeweight squat.
    I beg to differ with the first point.. I have had pizza with no marinara sauce and it taste damn good.

liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    smith squats are no way equal to regular back squats...BUT, if thats all you have use it.
    My 5/3/1 progress can be found here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142870321&p

Uncut LOG...check it out here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152706323

{{**ORIGINAL DSC**}}

I lift one rep at a time.

Thanks for the serious reply's. I am a poor university student (aren't we all) who cant afford to get a gym membership at the moment. I use the gym at college and its all I've got. Its really disappointing as squats were a 3x a week thing for me before hand. Sounds like I will just have to make do with the smith machine or possibly employ some lunges? Deadlifts and calf raises hit my hams, gluteals and calves but my quadriceps are obviously getting left out if I don't do SOMETHING!

This is a major dilemma as I am training in part for road cycling and of course to gain muscle mass before I cut down and do some serious cardio and sprint work.

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the serious reply's. I am a poor university student (aren't we all) who cant afford to get a gym membership at the moment. I use the gym at college and its all I've got. Its really disappointing as squats were a 3x a week thing for me before hand. Sounds like I will just have to make do with the smith machine or possibly employ some lunges? Deadlifts and calf raises hit my hams, gluteals and calves but my quadriceps are obviously getting left out if I don't do SOMETHING!

This is a major dilemma as I am training in part for road cycling and of course to gain muscle mass before I cut down and do some serious cardio and sprint work.
    If lack of money is a problem personally I would save money for correct nutrition.

Also if you feel only your quads are missing out why not just include front squats into your routine. With the lighter weight you can just clean it into the starting position and dump the weight when done. Front squats also hit your quads harder than regular squats iirc

Also if you are training for competitive cycling do you really want massive leg mass? Cyclists always seem skinny as hell
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆

I am 81kg's... was 63 way back in the day. Put on a lot of mass after 18 months off and most of it is muscle. Basically I can only target the flatter faster events in which case the extra strength may help. I will attempt front squats but just for clarification are lunges okay and are smith machine squats really that bad? Thanks again.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post

In.

I made a pizza without tomato sauce the other day. I mixed my cheese with Alfredo sauce and topped it with diced chicken breast, minced garlic and spinach. You jelly?

EAT BIG LIFT BIG GET BIG mistabigstuff19's Avatar
    mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mistabigstuff19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need to find a new gym.

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What about single leg training?

Smith machine squats don't compare to barbell back squats. I wouldn't use a Smith machine at all.

How about doing some single-leg work with dumbbells? For example, Bulgarian split squats or lunges. The lunge is a fantastic full body exercise.
    Alis
    Women's Weightlifting
    Site: www.womensweightlifting.co.uk
    Twitter: @alisthelioness

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Anthony21 View Post
    I have had pizza with no marinara sauce
    That's not really pizza.
    Who was this love of yours?

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

who cares.
    I enjoy the way you have formatted your username.

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    That's not really pizza.
    I think Cici's pretty well established that a pizza can still be a pizza with alfredo sauce instead of maranira sauce. This is one of the finer points we might need to hash out however for the sake of this thread. It is critical to the debate.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    I think Cici's pretty well established that a pizza can still be a pizza with alfredo sauce instead of maranira sauce. This is one of the finer points we might need to hash out however for the sake of this thread. It is critical to the debate.
    Anyone referring to whatever crap Cici's calls pizza clearly doesn't belong in a debate about good pizza.

Maybe that's the best you can do in Tejas though. How unfortunate.
    Who was this love of yours?

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Anyone referring to whatever crap Cici's calls pizza clearly doesn't belong in a debate about good pizza.

Maybe that's the best you can do in Tejas though. How unfortunate.
    Having been to Chicago, and having New York pizza once... I can say Tejas is coming up short on the pizza. Cici's is our best frame of reference in Texas culture sadly.

Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You guys are really straying far afield in this thread with all your pizza talk.

This is a serious thread for serious people. The Smith machine squat is in serious need of a debate. This subject never comes up on the board and I think it is in serious need of our full attention. I'm sure using the "search" feature would not have uncovered this exact same serious subject asked a thousand times in, oh, say the last........................week. So let's stay on topic.

Seriously........
    Semper Fidelis

Originally Posted by Birddog6424 View Post
    You guys are really straying far afield in this thread with all your pizza talk.

This is a serious thread for serious people. The Smith machine squat is in serious need of a debate. This subject never comes up on the board and I think it is in serious need of our full attention. I'm sure using the "search" feature would not have uncovered this exact same serious subject asked a thousand times in, oh, say the last........................week. So let's stay on topic.

Seriously........
    Fine get in the debate... can a pizza be a pizza without a tomato based sauce? Explain your reasons why or why not.

Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Fine get in the debate... can a pizza be a pizza without a tomato based sauce? Explain your reasons why or why not.
    I'm Irish. We cook pizza in bacon grease and put sliced potatoes on top. And we'll call it pizza if we want to. Then we wash it down at the local pub.

Why? Because we're Irish, and we do whatever the f*ck we want
    Semper Fidelis

Originally Posted by Birddog6424 View Post
    I'm Irish. We cook pizza in bacon grease and put sliced potatoes on top. And we'll call it pizza if we want to. Then we wash it down at the local pub.

Why? Because we're Irish, and we do whatever the f*ck we want
    I'm Bohemian and I swear that sounds like an authentic Bohemian recipie. You fry the bread in bacon grease first right? Other than I am sure a Czech beer is used and not an Irish beer.

I'm Bohemian and I swear that sounds like an authentic Bohemian recipie. You fry the bread in bacon grease first right? Other than I am sure a Czech beer is used and not an Irish beer.
    Anything involving bacon grease and beer is bound to be good
    Semper Fidelis

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you grow great quads without normal barbell squats? Yes (take this with a pinch of salt because even though I believe its possible it is argued by many that it is not the ideal method thus you will honestly just have to try it for yourself..the mirror will not lie.)

Can you become great at doing barbell squats without doing barbell squats? No
    Can you powerlift in a smith machine? yes but only if there was a smith machine event...(lol)

Honestly I do both and it really just depends on the goals. If your trying for power then the smith machine's controlled motion is very unnatural thus any "real carry over" function will be low. If that makes any sense.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000) Dan62 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This thread is now about pizza

Originally Posted by Dan62 View Post
    This thread is now about pizza
    Which is a vast improvement over yet another "squatting in the Smith rack" thread......
    Semper Fidelis

THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    u dont necessarily need a squat rack to squat... Go lighter on the weight and do squats or see if you can get someone to spot you.

I hate those excuses about "No squat racks" if anything most of them are always being used as Curl Racks... GRR lol

But OP really, Smith Squats will work as an alternative, but i do suggest option A before b
    Ubby 86

I eat, sleep, train, and work hard everyday

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bread, sauce and cheese = pizza, but not necessarily good pizza.

+If all you have to squat with is a smith, then put your feet a little more forward and use it like a hack squat. You could also clean a bar and front squat like someone else mentioned.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973