Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

One-time clients

Hey guys, I'm a new trainer here, and just looking for some advice and to see how you guys do things.

What do you do with a one-time client, say someone who's using their complimentary training session included with a membership, or someone who buys one session just to see what it's like?

If I had someone sign up for two or three months for example, I would spend a decent amount of time doing movement screens and testing, writing a very customized program, finding out all the details about their medical history, injury history, training goals, occupation, etc... as well as baseline stats (HR, Bodyfat, Cardio levels, all that).

Now with a first time client, discussing goals and doing basic movement and fitness tests could take up to 30 minutes easily - if they only have an hour, is that a waste of time? Just curious to see what you guys do with one-time clients to make the best impression and try to get them coming back.

If you do just a basic, 1 hour workout, how do you do it? Warm up, stretch, full body routine, then finished? Or is it still customized to whatever their goals may be? Just want everyone's opinion or their methods - thanks a bunch!
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."

Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you independent?

What I do is a fitness assessment plus 3 sessions for $60. This way they can sample my training for a small financial commitment which is less threatening to them.
    Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.

Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Terpsfan8489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jbonito View Post
    Are you independent?

What I do is a fitness assessment plus 3 sessions for $60. This way they can sample my training for a small financial commitment which is less threatening to them.
    Not yet, I'm going to be working at a commercial gym. I know most commercial gyms give you a free session when you sign up, so if I get those clients I'm not sure how to make that session effective and personalized without spending half the time getting to know the client's goals and history, and doing assessments.

Someday I will be independent, but since it's my first training job at a commercial gym, starting out I'm sure I'll get a lot of people who just want to try out training once. I guess maybe a cookie-cutter one-hour workout would work good for that, I would just much rather customize a plan for each client based on their body. I guess that's hard to do when it could be your only session though...

sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Terpsfan8489 View Post
    Not yet, I'm going to be working at a commercial gym. I know most commercial gyms give you a free session when you sign up, so if I get those clients I'm not sure how to make that session effective and personalized without spending half the time getting to know the client's goals and history, and doing assessments.

Someday I will be independent, but since it's my first training job at a commercial gym, starting out I'm sure I'll get a lot of people who just want to try out training once. I guess maybe a cookie-cutter one-hour workout would work good for that, I would just much rather customize a plan for each client based on their body. I guess that's hard to do when it could be your only session though...
    Well im assuming the goal of both you and the club is to turn them into a long term client. This is one of the most difficult challenges for personal trainers.

I would recommend spending at least the first 15-20 minutes collecting information from them about WHY they are exercising and what their goals are. Yes, everyone says this but most people don't do it right. You need to find deep root emotional WHY.

Example: So Sally why did you decide to join the gym?
    "Well I want to lose 20 lbs". - This is where most people stop. Don't make that mistake.
    "Sally, well why do you want to lose 20 lbs".
    "I want to look better, I have a high school reunion coming up".
    "Well why is losing 20 lbs important to you for this reunion".
    "Well I was overweight in highschool and I really want to look good for it."
    "So is it fair to say, that looking better for your high school reunion would make you feel good about yourself and give you better self esteem."
    "Yes".

Then the part of the time I would give them an evaluation of their current physical status and tell them that joining with your you will put together a road map for their success. If they don't buy training, set them up with a 4 week started and then follow up with them in 4 weeks. most likely they haven't been coming in, and your value will be greater and you can pick them up as a client then.

We sell 12 month PT deals all day. it's all about raising the client's value system on your service and you do this by attaching a feeling to your service. I had an expert come in and teach this evaluation process to all my trainers.

fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good thread. There are so many things you have to be good at to be a good or great trainer. Sanman pointed out some very good interpersonal things you have to be aware of and listening is key to them telling you, when its their time to buy into you.

Spend a little bit assessing their fitness level both in health questions, history, etc and also doing a couple actual fit tests. Ask a lot of questions to gauge their motivation level. You are right, I'd give them a taste of working out without going over the edge. That's why they are there, right? They've cleared the first hurdle of getting in the gym to see you.

Now is your chance to get them motivated and let them hear themselves tell you what their goals are. Let them say it out loud to you and advise what's necessary to reach those goals...from their standpoint and yours. Be specific if you can and turn the question on them if they balk at taking additional sessions..."In your opinion, do you feel you can stay in the gym, follow the program, stay motivated and on track, ...on your own?" I've had that deer in the head lights look when I said that, for a good reason. They realize without a trainer there to do all the things needed to reach their goal, they'll be wondering in the dark without some assistance. If that answer is no, or I'm not sure...your golden egg was just dropped in your lap.

You are basically qualifying your potential client. I realize you may be new at it and sometimes, you gotta take what you can get. As you get better at it, you can tell if someone is blowing you smoke, or doesn't want to put the time in, or balks at everything you try to help them with. Its your career to. We want to help everyone, but we have to get them to the point that they want, desire and are motivated to put in work.

I'm lucky...this is not my full-time job, so I can be picky with clients.
    AFAA Personal Fitness Trainer

Specialize in Sports Related Fitness and Weight Training
    Collegiate Athlete

Great advice guys, thanks. I like the advice about giving them four weeks and then following up, or asking them if they can do it alone.

I've taken courses in Exercise Psychology in college with tons of hands on practice on motivational interviewing, motivation theories, getting to root causes with deeper questions like sanman said, unfortunately I've never taken any sales classes.

Great advice though, I'll definitely try some of those things. Just want to start off well and get clients to come back to train with me.