Page 1 of 145 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    CEO - Vandelay Industries viennafat's Avatar
    viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

★ Tom's BTK Training Journal and Entertainment Center ★

Are you ready for this?

Welcome to my training journal.
    I decided to finally put one up to log my progress, get some motivation, post some cool stuff, have some fun, get some feedback/input, and hopefully learn a thing or two.
    So come on in and have a seat.

About Me
    My real name is Tom and I'm 28 years old.
    I'm married and have two kids aged 3 and 1.
    I work a regular office job, 5 days a week.

I have been training (seriously) since around July/August of 2010.
    Before that, I was active on and off (mostly off) since high school. I lifted weights in the past but in all honesty, I didn't know what the **** I was doing. So although I was no stranger to the gym and knew some basic stuff, I barely knew anything.

I decided to get serious really out of the blue. I was not happy with my body's appearance and just felt weak overall. So I decided to change that. I slowly started working out here and there and eventually got everything in order and started to bust ass. I was skinny fat. So initially I shed around 8-10 of fat and from then on I started working for mass.

Goals
    - Get stronger
    - Get bigger
    - Get leaner
    - Kill it each time I'm in the gym.

Let's go.
    It's time to do some work.
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Architect, Marine Biologist, Importer-Exporter, Latex Manufacturing.

viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Specifics

Routine
    At the moment I'm on a routine that I have put together after some trial and error, research, and personal preferences.
    I'm doing low volume at the moment. Focus is on compounds with some accessory moves. Looking to increase strength and of course add mass.

I workout at home. I only do free weight exercises and I only have the bare essentials when it comes to equipment. But I have all I need.

4 day split, 1 day on/1 day off.

1 - Flat Bench BB Press, Chinups/Pullups, Rows
    2 - Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raises (if I'm in the mood)
    3 - Incline DB Press, Flat Bench BB, Flyes, Curls, CGBP
    4 - Seated BB Shoulder Press, Seated DB Shoulder Press, Lateral Raises, BB Shrugs

I ended up with this routine for various reasons and as I progress in the journal I will discuss them.

Diet
    Diet is not standard but after counting calories for a while I have a good idea of my intake. I try to eat more on training days, less on off days. High protein of course but I don't go too much over my caloric maintenance number.
    I practice IF (Intermittent Fasting) on most days. 16 hours fasted and 8 hours fed. However, since I train after work I do not train fasted. I do have a small lunch to break my fast.

Supplements: Whey protein, Multi, Fish Oil.
    From time to time I do use Intrabolic to aid with recovery.

* I took the liberty to use the "BTK" term (Bleed Time Krew for those unaware) even though neither my physique nor my training (volume or numbers) is that impressive.
    But to me, BTK is a general philosophy/outlook on training and life.
    Always do your best, never give up, and bust ass every day.
    I get a lot of motivation and inspiration by Manu (PBateman2) and all the other BTKers.
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.

May 3

Day #1 (Primary bodyparts are Chest & Back with some good Bicep and Tricep involvement)

Flat Bench BB Press
    205x6
    205x4
    205x4
    205x4
    160x13 <--- last rep on that hurt.

My bench is really really weak. So I'm currently focusing on that to improve by doing a 4x5. Then my 5th set I drop the weight and try to do like 10-15 as a burnout set.
    Then on Day 3, I hit flat bench BB again but only do 3X5.

Chin ups @ BW
    6, 5, 5

Another exercise I'm weak at. I'm trying to improve this by doing chin ups on my off days. Suggestions on how to improve are welcome.

One arm DB Rows
    3x12 @ 100lbs

DB on the floor, knee on bench, and free arm supporting me.
    I could've squeezed out a few more reps on this one but I just recently started doing this exercise consistently so I want to work my way up and get a good feel for it.
    I do this exercise more explosively than others. I pull that weight as hard as I can as if I'm trying to start a lawnmower but with a little more control.

I consider myself fairly weak for my size. But I believe I'm still a beginner so I'm workin on it.

PS: If anyone makes fun of my lifting stats, you're getting negged.

semiserious

The jam:
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-04-2011 at 02:35 PM.

May 5

Day #4 (Bodyparts: Shoulders & Traps)
    I just realized my schedule is all out of whack.....

I got tied up at work so I was a little late today. Was pissed off, so I just blasted through this session.

Seated BB Shoulder Press
    155x6
    155x5
    155x5

I aim for 3x5 as I'm looking to increase strength with this one.
    Due to some recent pain in my left shoulder I hadn't done this exercise in a few weeks.
    The pain was still present but not as noticeable.
    I used to hit shoulders directly twice a week. But between benching twice a week and that, I was starting to feel that it wasn't the best choice. Sticking to 1 direct shoulder day for now.

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    70x8
    70x7
    70x7

I just started doing DB shoulder presses a few weeks ago. Need some more time to get comfortable with the exercise and get stronger. Light weight for now.

DB Lateral Raises
    3x12 @ 25lbs

Slow reps with good form.
    This was easy as fuk. Again, due to the shoulder issue I tried taking it easy as this exercise hurt the most. Felt pretty decent today. Increase in weight next week.

BB Shrugs

3x15 @ 205lbs

A while back I had hurt my lower back really really bad. I hadn't DL'ed, Squated, or Shrugged, in over a month. This was my second time. I'm taking it very slow and increasing the weight each week. Don't want to re-injure.

Today's track:

May 7

Chest, tris, bis

Today was not a great day. Physically felt great but mentally was not there and it really affected my training. I miscounted reps a few times, wasn't paying attention, and my head just wasnt in the game.
    Totally proved to myself what a big part the mental aspect plays.

Flat Bench BB Press
    210x5
    210x4
    210x3
    ^ does not include like 3-4 warm up sets.

Incline DB Press
    85x10
    85x5
    85x5

Was shocked how much the reps dropped from the 1st set.

Flat DB Flyes
    40x12
    40x11
    40x10

DB Curls (alternating)
    50x12
    50x12
    50x12

First set was comfortable. 2nd and 3rd just managed to hit 12.
    Will increase weight next time doing this.
    *I also want to try simultaneous DB curls (both arms at the same time) as per my man SupaaJ.

I attempted to go for some CGBP but I just was not feeling it. Tried 1 set and just did not feel right so I said forget it.

BB Curls
    85x11
    85x9
    85x8

Was mentally done by the time I reached this exercise but I went for it anyway. Nothing too heavy though.
    Then I just threw in some bench dips. Put some weight on my lap and did a couple of sets to hit the tris.

Will come back way stronger and focused next time.
    You can behlee dat!

Skip to around 1:00

EDIT: Almost forgot.
    Dinner: Kick-ass pizza. Toppings were: Extra cheese, Bacon, Sausage, and Green peppers.
    Washed it down with a can of Coke. (first time I've had Coke in a month)
    COME. AT. ME!
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Weighed myself today and I was 222lbs.
    I haven't gained any weight in 3 weeks I believe.
    Strength has increased a little and I do seem a little leaner, but I think I need to increase food intake.

Although I'm going away in 3 weeks so don't want to look any less lean than currently.
    (not even that lean to begin with so I really don't want to gain any fat)
    Will have to try my best to lean-gain it.

brb don't know what I'm going to do

A thing I wanted to add, is that I'm a big sports fan. (watching, not playing )
    Basketball, MMA, Soccer, Hockey, and some Football.

Lakers yesterday.........
    First San Antonio gets bounced by Memphis then the Lakers get swept by Dallas.
    isthisreallife?

That series summed up in one play:

I don't even know what that was supposed to be.

May 9

Legs.
    kind of.....

Eventually, this day will consist of Squats & Deadlifts.
    Due to a pretty bad back injury I suffered about a month ago, deadlifts are a no-go and this is only my 2nd time squatting.
    Ok, history lesson over.

Squats
    3x8 @ 155

Every week I will increase the weight until I'm back to a respectable weight.
    Back felt pretty good during, but it did feel a little "off" afterwards.

Standing Calf Raises
    3x13 with 30lb DB

These are pretty simple. I just use a step, stand on one leg with only the ball of my foot on it, I hold a dumbell, and do the motion. I go as high as I can on the ball of my foot and then pretty low for a good stretch.

Weighted Sit ups
    3x15 w/ 25lb plate on my chest

Hanging Leg Raises
    Did a couple of sets of 10 reps.

Not the best or most intense workout, but I gotta be patient and mind the lower back for just a little longer.

And don't even front guys, I know you mirin my squat numbers.

*Sports Update*

Red Wings coming back from 0-3 to tie the series and force a game 7.
    Crazy!!

If they win this series, oh boy.....
    It will be an amazing comeback and yet another (mind you, the biggest) choke for the SJ Sharks.

May 11

Chest & Back

Flat Bench BB Press
    210x5
    210x4
    210x4
    210x3
    160x14

It really bother me that my bench is so weak. It's funny because it's one my favourite exercises. I guess that's a good thing cuz I won't mind working on it as much.

Chin ups @ BW
    6, 5, 5

I also really want to improve in this exercise. I might start doing a specific program to increase the # of pull ups/chin ups. As long as it doesn't interfere with my regular training.

One arm DB Rows
    3x12 @ 105lbs

DB on the floor, knee on bench, and free arm supporting me.
    Today was pretty hard to hit 12 on the last 2 sets. Still increasing the weight next week.

I kicked it old school today:

That's right!
    Some of you younger bros may not feel this one.

*Sports update*

So Miami closed the deal last night to eliminate the Celtics in 5 as Boston just couldn't keep up.
    Impressive.
    They're looking pretty good.

Training video

Here's some footage of me attempting a 1 rep max squat:

Note for next time: Decrease weight.

So after blowing out Atlanta last night, the stage is set for the Heat-Bulls final.
    Dis gun be good.

Hopefully the'll be none of this (below) and the series will be good one.

lol

Training later today and I'm going to go hard.

No excuses.

SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dood I lol'd @ the pics/gifs! Chicago one was priceless! I'm from IL, so you know how I feel about the Bulls series win!

You no tell no ones about this thur log. What the hellz bellz dood? Yes, mad. :/

Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    4 day split, 1 day on/1 day off.

1 - Flat Bench BB Press, Chinups/Pullups, Rows
    2 - Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raises (if I'm in the mood)
    3 - Incline DB Press, Flat Bench BB, Flyes, Curls, CGBP
    4 - Seated BB Shoulder Press, Seated DB Shoulder Press, Lateral Raises, BB Shrugs
    Approved. STAMP!

Good ish, get at it.

SupaaJ is the first to post in my journal! What an honour.
    I was holding some reps for the 1st one in here, but I already repped you like an hour ago.

Yeah I haven't really mentioned anything about having a journal. I just make my posts and if someone likes to come in and post, then great.

Thanks for the stamp of approval on the routine.
    It's pretty simple and not too sexy, but I figure that I have the basics covered.
    Athough I always welcome suggestions and criticism.

May 13

Shoulders & Traps

Friday the 13th. How appropriate, cuz I was ready to murder it....

Seated BB Shoulder Press
    160x6
    160x5
    160x5

After the final rep of the 1st set, I realized that I could've got one more.
    It's all good, will save that one for next time.

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    70x9
    70x8
    70x7

Same weight as last week, but increase in reps for the 1st 2 sets.

DB Lateral Raises
    3x12 @ 30lbs

I try to go slow and controlled with these. Will increase weight next week.

BB Shrugs
    1x15 @ 195lbs
    3x15 @ 215lbs

Again, due to lower back injury, I'm careful with these and building up to higher weights.
    Felt good today although my back is a little tender. (not just from the shrugs though)

I have to say that by the end of the session, I felt like I could've done more. I wasn't that exhausted and the shoulders didn't feel that fatigued. But I don't want to increase volume just for the sake of it. During the exercises, I definitely went all out and found the weights challenging. So I'm not sure if should add anything (like another exercise or drop sets) or just leave it as is.

No music today. I trained in silence.

Dinner - Homemade pizza and baked chicken wings.
    Pizza toppings were mozzarella, green peppers, some feta cheese, and chicken chunks.

And a snack. "General Tao's chicken" flavour potato chips.
    Oh yes, I went there.

I had more wings and chips than what is pictured.

May 15

Chest, bis

Was planning on killin it today, but got some bad news to start the day as there was a death in the family. I didn't even think I'd get a chance to lift, but luckily I was able to put something together. In the interest of time, I decided to skip Tricep specific exercises.

The day went as follows:
    Flat Bench BB Press
    215x4
    215x3
    215x3
    ^ does not include like 3-4 warm up sets.

Incline DB Press
    85x10
    85x8
    85x7
    DROPSET - 80x8

Flat DB Flys
    42.5x3x12

I've been reading a lot lately about Decline Bench. I haven't done that in about 3 months.
    I think I might start doing it here and there.
    So I threw in a set just to get a feel for it. I really liked it.
    Went light:
    155x13

BB Curls
    90x12
    90x12
    90x10

Then threw in a set of pushups to failure. Got about a dozen or just over that.
    Wasn't as good a session as I was hoping, but I'm just happy I was able to do anything period.

RIP Grandma
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-16-2011 at 08:24 AM.

*Sports Update*

The Bulls picked up right where they left off during the regular season against Miami: Winning.

I left the game tied at half time. Came back to it in the 4th quarter and the Heat were blown out.

Wade and Lebron were not on top of their game.
    And to add insult to injury, D-Wade got crowned:

Last edited by viennafat; 05-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.

irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250) irish.red has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bulls definitely brought their A game...my prediction is for a 4-2 series finish with Bulls coming out with the W, but anythin is possible (Captain obvious...). Some of the moves Rose pulls off just leave my jaw dropped...

best of luck with coming back from your injuries- I've got my fair share of em too. Subbed

Also, no more food pics. That pizza is killin me...nothing even close down here!
    [My Log -->> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170247221]

Each set, every rep is a gift...

Current Supps: sacha inchi oil upon waking up, whey isolate powder, Peruvian Maca, 2k IU vitamin D prebed, occasional probiotic, cup of coffee preworkout sometimes

Yeah, I think the Bulls have their number. Or so it seems.

Thanks man. Good luck to you too with your injuries.
    I'm actually going on Wednesday to get a physiotherapy assessment about my back and to then start treatments. Letting it heal on its own is not quite doing it.
    I will post updates in here.

lol
    Sorry bro, but there will be more food pics posted in the future.

SupaaJ isn't the only one rocking the ab wheel to get dat 6 pack.

yeah, that's Justin Bieber.
    He taking lessons from Justin (our Justin, SupaaJ).

inb4 Bieber CGBP's like 225.
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbed!

In for training inspiration and Beiber talk, LOL!

Kill it Tom!

EDIT: Is that gif of the guy getting handled by the squat rack as it falls, really you? If so, gjtm! That was intense.
    Last edited by braggable; 05-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

Nice to have you, Tom.
    That will most likely be the last Justin Bieber reference ever in this journal.

lol
    No, luckily that wasn't me in that squat rack fail gif.

braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    Nice to have you, Tom.
    That will most likely be the last Justin Bieber reference ever in this journal.

lol
    No, luckily that wasn't me in that squat rack fail gif.
    LOL. Good!.... On both accounts.
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

May 17

Legs.

Again, due to bad back injury I suffered a while ago deadlifts are a no-go.
    Today however, I was planning on deadlifting for the first time. But because I was really short on time today (personal stuff this week) and tomorrow I am going for a physio assessment for my back, I decided to hold off.

Squats (below parallel but not ATG)
    3x8 @ 175
    Also did a bunch of warm up sets and then a 4th set of 10 @135lbs.

Every week I will increase the weight until I'm back to a respectable weight.
    Low back felt pretty good today. No issues.

Weighted Sit ups
    w/ 35lb plate on my chest
    1st set - 16 reps
    2nd set - 13
    3rd set - 12

Then I did a few sets of neutral grip (also called parallel grip) pull ups just for the hell of it. I suck ass at pull ups so those sets only consisted of a handfull each.

I look forward to starting therapy for my back.
    Kind of a lame day, but I was lucky to get anything done. So this was better than nothing.
    Last edited by viennafat; 05-17-2011 at 06:16 PM.

SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000) SupaaJ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lulz, just noticed the Bieber Ab Wheel SupaaJ comparo. I'm sure he CGBP'es 315, not the paltry 225 I rep. lol.

Nice sessions going on, keep it up man.

I seriously approve of pizza, chips and the Bulls! All my Illinois favs!!!!!

lol
    Thanks J!

I had to fix that one gif a few posts up cuz it was broken.
    D Wade getting dunked on has been restored.

Good session bro! Way to truck through injury and personal issues and still make the gym. Strong persistence Tom!

Keep rockin it.