OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000)

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training

Could use some help on this.
    Did my first bjj training two days ago and was worn out, have another one today.
    There's a lot of cardio involved and strength in body parts i've never really had to use.
    Having to move my hips completely from one side of a guys body to the other while he's on top of you...I wasn't able to do it. Not even sure where the strength needs to be for that.

Could use some help building a training program in the gym to help me in bjj.
    One that would build my cardio, leg strength, and and athleticism. (Obviously i'd like to build some strength all over too.)

One thing I want to make sure I don't do in this process is lose weight though.
    I'm already at 155lbs and I can't afford to get any skinnier or i'll look like lindsay lohan when she was having an eating disorder.

moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000) moetstylesbrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    strong core !!!

also strong muscles all over, try something like madcows 5x5

Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll be fine. Extra strength training is good but your problem lies with lack of experience in BJJ not with strength. Don't worry, you'll pick it up a lot faster once you get the basic mechanics. If you didn't get owned in your first class, I'd recommend you find a different school, haha.

Gaining weight can be helpful in grappling and will allow you to compete a bit better against heavier people. Grappling with someone who outweighs you by 30 lbs is very challenging.

Trianglecity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Huke View Post
    You'll be fine. Extra strength training is good but your problem lies with lack of experience in BJJ not with strength. Don't worry, you'll pick it up a lot faster once you get the basic mechanics. If you didn't get owned in your first class, I'd recommend you find a different school, haha.

Gaining weight can be helpful in grappling and will allow you to compete a bit better against heavier people. Grappling with someone who outweighs you by 30 lbs is very challenging.
    so you have to get owned your first class to be at a good bjj school?... that doesnt make sense at all lol. we never go hard on the new guys.

but to answer the OP's question BJJ/Wrestling is alot of core strength

Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Trianglecity View Post
    so you have to get owned your first class to be at a good bjj school?... that doesnt make sense at all lol. we never go hard on the new guys.

I was just kidding around. Its not so much about going hard on new guys. People were generally pretty cool in my first grappling class, but I still left feeling like I had the fighting ability of a 4 year old. I just meant that it takes time to learn the system a bit before you can make a fair judgement on how big of a role your strength is actually playing.

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Trianglecity View Post

I agree with him. Sounds like your gym is pretty soft.

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I did BJJ and boxing for a year before I had to give it up for a variety of reasons but I entered my first tournament my 5th month in to help a friend who needed one more member to enter as a team. I not only won my division but never had a point scored on me. But in practice I was still getting my ass whooped my marines and people with more experience. BJJ is a mix of technique and strength. But the things helped me get better were running a mix of long miles and HIIT, explosive lifts, practice, and eating right. For the first year accept that you will not get many points. Be humble and learn. But practice, practice, practice, more than anything. THe more you do it the more your mind and body will develop.
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.

OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks guys especially night I will run more now.

DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrilledCheese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best way to condition yourself for jiu jitsu is more jiu jitsu. I recommend training as much as you can. You will soon learn how to relax in bad positions to breathe when mounted and gain a feeling for the game. If you never rode a bike before I would not recommend workouts to make your legs stronger if you can’t even balance. Simply put roll as often as you can and don’t be a spaz. If you are a cool dude higher belts and even skilled white belts will show you what to do.
    That being said my jiu jitsu conditioning consists primarily of yoga, kettlebell swings, Turkish getups, burpees and even sprinting hills. Once you figure out your game then you can figure out your training regimen.
    Good luck with the training and remember jiu jitsu is a fun sport/ hobby and nothing more. If you take it to seriously you will most likely quit.

GracieBarraPTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Drilled Cheese to a point.

For experienced grapplers you start to do a lot of cross fit geared towards your fighting style. For example, guard players work a lot on their leg development so they can sweep better or defend better, while a passer will focus a lot on pulling and pushing drills to help him/her while passing someone’s guard. Everyone does core work. Now this is common among really high level bjj players. If you compete on a regular basis then these types of drills are a common thing amongst comp teams.

For new people I suggest lots and lots of YOGA. Learn to breath and learn to go with the flow. I got owned by Flavio Almeida last week simply because he didn’t fight my guard pass, he just used it against me. I'm an aggressive grappler, I like to push the pace, like Jacare or Andre Galvao but you'll still find me doing the basics and working on my Deep Half Guard and Butterfly Guard and Turtle Guard even if it's not my style.

BJJ is a lifelong partner which will teach you many things about yourself. That being said the best training you could do at this point is mental; forget everything that happens in the world at the door and try to absorb as much info as possible. Afterwards write the class techs down in a book so you won’t forget.

Cheers bro and welcome to the BJJ family.