Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking I am 33 years 5 months old and wants to start bodybuilding

Hello,

So here I am at the largest bodybuilding forum. I am a pretty average guy (may be below average) and I want to start bodybuilding. My main goal is not to compete in some contest but to make myself better. My mind is more towards general fitness as well as some shape and mass.
    I haven't done any exercise before and the last time I read something about bodybuilding was around 15 years back when I read "Encyclopedia of bodybuilding" by "Arnold".

While I was reading forum yesterday, I came across that thread by "all pro" which is "A Simple Beginner's Routine"

This seems like a great workout plan, I read it with very interest and now wants to follow this routine. Now something about myself from top off my head. I haven't done recent measurements but these are close figures.

Weight: 83KG - 183 pounds
    Height: 5 feet 10 inches
    Waist: 36 or 37 inches
    No thighs or chest or shoulders nothing just average

I don't know if my weight is appropriate according to my height but I do know my body is not in shape at all which I want to fix.

By the way I was looking at my dashboard and was impressed to see some detailed options there like stats, goals, plans e.t.c. It's like complete software package for bodybuilding you have got there.

Before starting bodybuilding I would like to ask some questions so here they are:

1. Is bodybuilding right for me at this age?
    2. I guess by doing exercises I will get in shape but how do I gain mass? Do I also need to follow some diet?
    3. What is a "rep"?
    4. What is a "set"?

Thanks

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. You aren't too old to get muscular.
    2. You have to eat a surplus of calories, with the right macros, in order to build muscle.
    3. A repetition is the completion of an exercise movement. If you are doing the bench press, for example, and you unrack the weight, bring it down to your chest, and push it out to full extension, you have completed one repetition.
    4. A set is a group of repetitions. If you bench something 10 times, you have done one set of 10 repetitions.

ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ilovejunkfood has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey man, I'm around the same age and been lifting for about one month. I'll let more experienced people answer your questions but just take it easy at first and listen to your body. I injured my back trying to deadlift too heavy too quickly and had to take 2 weeks off. After that I switched to a full body program and am giving the deadlifts a miss until I'm fully recovered. You might have to modify the starting strength program a little, for example squat light one day a week, but aside from that you're not at much of a disadvantage to the young ones in getting started.

Good luck old timer and welcome to the board

ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Never too late to start! Just ease into everything. I recommend reading some of the stuff in the nutrition section. Your diet is just as important as working out, if not more.

BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) BogyBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks everyone for the quick response especially Koaia. Now I understand what rep and set are. One more question. This is what "all pro" said in that thread:

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps
    So if I have understood correctly, in first week I will be doing 32 reps of all exercises? Because 8 rep X 4 set = 32

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I was older than you when I started and so were many people here.

All Pro is a good choice of program. Yes, you will be doing that many reps but there is a rest period between each set (he probably specifies a length of time of around 1-2mins IIRC) so you partially recover in that time.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I was older than you when I started and so were many people here.

All Pro is a good choice of program. Yes, you will be doing that many reps but there is a rest period between each set (he probably specifies a length of time of around 1-2mins IIRC) so you partially recover in that time.
    How do I know how much weight do I have to lift? Like in each case for e.g. sqauts, bench press e.t.c.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You have to work it out by trial and error. I don't know what All Pro recommends for this but you should be able to complete all sets and reps with good form - but the last few reps should be tough going.

The idea is to increase the weight used regularly. Bigger weight = stronger = larger muscles

BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started weight training a few months back at the age of 32, you are never to old to start. I switched to All Pro's Beginner program 3 weeks back and I love it. Work hard on form over heavier weight, it will make things better long run. You can find your 10 rep max needed for his program pretty easy, do a few low weight warmups then load the bar with a weight you can move from 4-14 times in good form then just look online for a conversion program (they are everywhere) to find your 1rep max and from there you can get your 10 rep easy. This is how I found mine at least, probably an easier way but still works. Good luck man its a life changer.
    "Do you remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anyone else" You are the creator of your own destiny!

Progress is all the motivation I need and motivation is high

screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BogyBuilder View Post
    How do I know how much weight do I have to lift? Like in each case for e.g. sqauts, bench press e.t.c.
    The advice here has been good, but I think you should go to a trainer too. At least for one session so the trainer can check form on your lifts(good form helps prevent injuries). Alot of gyms offer free training sessions if you join so it might even be free.

Great advice everybody. I am planning on taking measurements today or tomorrow when I am free. I also plan on taking pictures of my body to give you an idea of my current shape.

MOJO_ERASER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am 33 and lifting for 3 months and seeing nice gains. I also had a lower back sprain (which is still lingering) I took off 5 days . My advice to you would be to go slow at first and dont lift so heavy get your form down on the back exercises they are not so forgiving.

MOJO_ERASER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MOJO_ERASER View Post
    I am 33 and lifting for 3 months and seeing nice gains. I also had a lower back sprain (which is still lingering) I took off 5 days . My advice to you would be to go slow at first and dont lift so heavy get your form down on the back exercises they are not so forgiving.
    I recommend Jim Stoppani 12 week shorcut plan. Its on the website. It stars you off slow and workd you up to advanced in 12 weeks.

I have been reading term "cardio" here. What does it mean? Is it some kind of specific exercise?

I have been reading term "cardio" here. What does it mean? Is it some kind of specific exercise?
    Cardiovascular exercise

Running, cycling, rowing. Basically anything that trains heart and lungs. This includes certain types of weight training by the way.

People often see 'cardio' as some kind of magic nutrient partitioning method which allows you to gain mass and lose fat at the same time. I have seen no evidence to suggest this is true, it simply burns a few more calories (much easier to not eat them in the first place) and potentially interferes with recovery from weight training.

If you like it and/or have a reason for needing cardio conditioning then do it and eat your way to recovery. If you don't like it, you can still reach your goals of body recomposition without it.

NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) NoJunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    41 here and feel like I am in the best shape of my life so I will throw in my 2 cents.

Start out with the basics and keep it simple.
    Twice a week do a full body routine for now to get the hang of it. Something like Bench Press, Rows, Squats, Deadlifts, Shoulder Press and some ab work like Leg Raises and Crunches. 5 sets each exercise, 10 reps each set. Check out some details on youtube. Also go for a run a couple of days per week and get your diet in order. You won't see any muscle gains unless you get rid of the fat. After a while progress to heavier weights and fewer reps and keep the INTENSITY HIGH.

@SuffolkPunch
    Ok I got it now. But initially I won't be doing any cardio because first I will concentrate on exercise and then later on I will also add cardio.

@NoJunk
    You are right. I will start simple and focus on diet also.

osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) osher24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You never too old for BodyBuilding

Here are some pics that I took just now. I want to get rid of that fat and reduce my waist. Also I won't mind increasing mass around chest and shoulders.
    Attached Images

Today was my first day at gym. It was very hard and I could only complete first 4 exercises lol
    I felt like today is my last day and I will die now. The gym is at 2 mins walking distance from home and walking back it felt like eternity. I thought I will drop right there. Then with very difficulty I walked up stairs at home and dropped on sofa haha
    Couldn't speak for like 10 minutes. I felt like my pulse is very low and I won't survive. I was answering my family question by saying "hmmm...." and by shaking head and could barely say "yes" and "no"
    It literally felt like puking and pooing at the same time and I am not lying.
    Then after 10 or 15 minutes I drank some water and banana milk shake. Then I started feeling better. I think my blood sugar level was low and that I didn't have proper diet before exercise because of which it happened. My grand father and father are both diabetic and so I have a high chance too although I don't have currently but may be sugar level was low. Plus I didn't drink enough water.
    So next time i.e. on Monday I plan on eating and drinking enough before exercise.

Thumbs up

Congrats on getting through it. It should start to feel easier soon especially if you eat to have enough energy in your system. Your body has a lot of adapting to do at first. Don't thrash yourself every time you go or you may never get to the stage where it becomes habit to keep going to the gym.

Keep it up but stay safe, keep good form always. One thing that took me about 5 years to realise - taking a video of more complex lifts like squats is a very very good idea.

pumpedup1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Today was my first day at gym. It was very hard and I could only complete first 4 exercises lol
    I felt like today is my last day and I will die now. The gym is at 2 mins walking distance from home and walking back it felt like eternity. I thought I will drop right there. Then with very difficulty I walked up stairs at home and dropped on sofa haha
    Couldn't speak for like 10 minutes. I felt like my pulse is very low and I won't survive. I was answering my family question by saying "hmmm...." and by shaking head and could barely say "yes" and "no"
    It literally felt like puking and pooing at the same time and I am not lying.
    Then after 10 or 15 minutes I drank some water and banana milk shake. Then I started feeling better. I think my blood sugar level was low and that I didn't have proper diet before exercise because of which it happened. My grand father and father are both diabetic and so I have a high chance too although I don't have currently but may be sugar level was low. Plus I didn't drink enough water.
    So next time i.e. on Monday I plan on eating and drinking enough before exercise.
    Dont give up man im starting monday with all pros guide and am 26 6'1 205 i work as a electrician so i get a good excersise everyday and am planing on bulking up chest biceps and triceps the most this stuff is very confusing at time and my diet isnt the freatest bc i really dont eat that much so i know im gonna have to do better but gl with ur training hope all goes well

@SuffolkPunch and pumpedup1
    Thanks for the encouraging words. When I was coming back I was thinking **** it BB is not my cup of team but then I thought I will not give up. I will come back again and do it next time.
    One good thing that came out of it is I don't feel any pain in back or lower back. Before going I was dreading about Squats as they look the most difficult and I was thinking that I might injure myself and get back pain. But that didn't happen and my back is perfect. The only problem is legs which are stiff which is natural because today was my first day and to some extent my arms too.

Registered User of Peace MaximosJ's Avatar
    MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just some quick clarifications about all pro's program, if that's the one you're doing. I'm not assuming that you're confused about these things, but a lot of people do seem to end up confused.

First, when it says to do 4 sets of 8 reps (etc.), keep in mind that the first 2 of those sets are warm-up sets; you do the first set with 25% of your target weight, you do the second set with 50% of your target weight, and then you do the remaining 2 sets (the "work sets") with the full weight. If you try to do all 4 sets at full weight, you will likely not make it very far with the program.

Second, you do not really need to do all 4 sets (2 warm-up sets plus 2 work sets) for all of the exercises. All pro has said that the warm-up sets are really only necessary for the first 3 or 4 exercises. For the remaining 4 or 3 exercises, you can do just the 2 work sets.

Originally Posted by MaximosJ View Post
    Just some quick clarifications about all pro's program, if that's the one you're doing. I'm not assuming that you're confused about these things, but a lot of people do seem to end up confused.

First, when it says to do 4 sets of 8 reps (etc.), keep in mind that the first 2 of those sets are warm-up sets; you do the first set with 25% of your target weight, you do the second set with 50% of your target weight, and then you do the remaining 2 sets (the "work sets") with the full weight. If you try to do all 4 sets at full weight, you will likely not make it very far with the program.

Second, you do not really need to do all 4 sets (2 warm-up sets plus 2 work sets) for all of the exercises. All pro has said that the warm-up sets are really only necessary for the first 3 or 4 exercises. For the remaining 4 or 3 exercises, you can do just the 2 work sets.
    Yes I kept that in mind. My gym has 4 weights:

2.5KG
    5KG
    10KG
    20KG

The bar for "bench press" weighs 12 KGs while the bar for all other exercises weighs 9KG.

So for warm up I started with just bar and did 1 set of 8 reps.
    Then for second warm up I put on 2.5KG weight on each side.
    Then I did 2 sets and for Bent Over Rows I guess only 1 set with 5KG weights on each side.

I went not to start program but to find 1RM. I plan on starting properly from Monday and I guess I will need to use 5KG as full weight while 2.5KG and only bar for warm ups.

Ok I managed to do all exercises yesterday on my second day. Here is what happened.

Squats
    I was dreading to do this as my legs were hurting since last exercise two days back. But I said to myself **** it and 1 warm up set of 8 reps with 9KG weight
    Then I did another set of 8 with 14KG weight.
    Then finally 2 sets of 8 with 19KG weight.

And after that my legs now feel less painful. It seems like all the stiffness and pain is slowly going away now and it feels great.

Bench Press
    First I did warm up of 8 with 12KG
    Then another warm up of 8 with 17KG
    Then finally 2 sets of 8 with 22KG

When I was doing first set of full weight which is 22KG then it looked easy. I thought to myself that in final set I can do more weights but boy was it difficult in final set!!

Bend Over Rows
    This was easy. I think I can lift more weights. Here is what I did.

Warm up set of 8 with 14KG
    Warm up set of 8 with 19KG
    Full set of 8 with 24KG
    Full set of 8 with 24KG

Standing Military Press
    This is another exercise which I felt that is very easy and I can do without any problems. But when I started to do it, then in last set I could barely lift weight and did it till failure.

First warm up set of 8 with 9KG
    Second warm up of 8 with 14KG
    Full set of 8 with 19KG
    Full set of 8 with 19KG

The last rep I did in final set was very difficult and I was screaming haha

Stiff Legged Dead Lift
    I forgot how to do this exercise properly. I had memorized its video but there I forgot so I did it based on what ever I could recall. I don't think I did totally wrong but still I will watch its video again to confirm if I did correctly.
    The exercise was easy and I think I could lift more weights next time.

First warm up of 8 with 14KG
    Second warm up of 8 with 14KG
    Full set of 8 with 19KG
    Full set of 8 with 19KG

Barbell Curls
    This one also was VERY tough totally different than what I expected. I thought this will be the easiest one. But boy was I wrong!
    Or may be my form was not good!? The thing is in barbell curls you have to keep your shoulder straight and only move the part from below your elbow if I am right. And I think you need to put your hands in front rather than on sideways or may be sideways but just a little bit on front. Mine were sideways and I couldn't finish final set and could only manage 4. Then I cheated and moved my hands from above shoulder

First warm up set of 8 - 9KG
    Second warm up set of 8 - 14KG
    Full set of 8 - Don't remember how much weight either 14KG or 19KG.
    Final Full set of 8 - Don't remember how much weight either 14KG or 19KG.

Calf Raises
    This was difficult to perform because I didn't have any smooth surface to put feet on. So I used the weights but the surface was uneven and it was very difficult without the shoes (shoes not allowed in gym). So I guess from next time I will need to get my own wooden plank or something.

Warm up set of 8 - 14KG
    Warm up set of 8 - 19KG
    Full set of 8 - 24KG
    Full set of 8 - 24KG

One thing I forgot to add that when doing Bent Over Barbell Rows or other exercises in which knees are slightly bent, my legs were shaking. They are not firm or still. Could it be due to that I have just started doing exercise and after a few days it will be fine?

Could it be due to that I have just started doing exercise and after a few days it will be fine?
    Exactly.

Seems fine so far.

swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One thing I forgot to add that when doing Bent Over Barbell Rows or other exercises in which knees are slightly bent, my legs were shaking. They are not firm or still. Could it be due to that I have just started doing exercise and after a few days it will be fine?
    your stablizer muscles arent fully developed, give your self 2-3 months. Take it slowly and enjoy yourself in the gym

schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) schnitzer31 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    first of all congratulations for deciding to start a healthy lifestyle and bb.
    if you concentrate on compound lifts (lifts which work multiple muscles) then you will strengthen your core which is the first important thing you need to do when starting off.
    I suggest that at this stage you do not eat a surplus of calories since you want to lose some of that body fat.Just continue what youve described so far but eating around 500 calories below maintenance.you can calculate your BMR from the search function on here to know how many calories you need to eat.also drink plenty of water (1 gallon minimum).
    good luck!