ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000)

Bulking Diet and Optimal Weight gain per week?

Hey everyone, I would really appreciate any advice here

Current Stats
    6'2
    180lbs 14%bf

I just finished a 3 month cutting diet from 210 to 180. Most of the weight I lost was water, fat and a little bit of muscle. Now I feel like i have a better foundation to bulk up from at my current stats

Here is my planned bulking diet.....very simple

3000 Calories per day (500 cal surplus)

Around 200g protein per day

I will try to get less than 100g of fat each day

Now i know that this is not very detailed but I want to stick to a very simple bulking diet at 500 cal surplus.

My main question is this.......how much weight should I expect to gain each month on a 500 cal surplus and assuming I only get around 100g of fat or less each day and 200g of protein each day will I gain alot of body fat on this diet? Or will fat gains be limited and i will put on primarily muscle on this diet?

Basically I want to avoid putting any of the fat back on that I spent 3 months cutting from 210 to 180.

ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000) ShadyGuy is a complete loser! (-2000)
    bump

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ShadyGuy View Post
    how much weight should I expect to gain each month on a 500 cal surplus and assuming I only get around 100g of fat or less each day and 200g of protein each day will I gain alot of body fat on this diet? Or will fat gains be limited and i will put on primarily muscle on this diet?

Basically I want to avoid putting any of the fat back on that I spent 3 months cutting from 210 to 180.
    You seem to think consuming fat makes you fat? The surplus determines that.

You will gain some fat, it's inevitable... how much? That depends on how slow you bulk. If you gain weight too quick just cut calories back a bit
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    You seem to think consuming fat makes you fat? The surplus determines that.

You will gain some fat, it's inevitable... how much? That depends on how slow you bulk. If you gain weight too quick just cut calories back a bit
    so the most important thing in determining fat gain is the total number of calories?

for example a diet of 50 cans of tuna which equals 5000 calories will get you more fat than a diet of mcdonalds hamburgers at only 3500 calories?

sorry for the weird question....i am just trying to understand nutrition better

thanks

pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    so the most important thing in determining fat gain is the total number of calories?

for example a diet of 50 cans of tuna which equals 5000 calories will get you more fat than a diet of mcdonalds hamburgers at only 3500 calories?
    That's right. For the most part, your mix of macronutrients (protein, fats, and carbs) is irrelevant to fat gain.

But you shouldn't ignore the mix of protein, fats, and carbs in your diet. See the stickies to figure out how to set daily targets for calories and for macronutrients.

Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    That's right. For the most part, your mix of macronutrients (protein, fats, and carbs) is irrelevant to fat gain.

But you shouldn't ignore the mix of protein, fats, and carbs in your diet. See the stickies to figure out how to set daily targets for calories and for macronutrients.
    so as long as you don't go to high on the calorie surplus on a bulking diet then you will be safe in terms of fat gain? assuming i get enough protein on a slow bulk the body will use that calorie surplus to build primarily muscle weight?

pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    so as long as you don't go to high on the calorie surplus on a bulking diet then you will be safe in terms of fat gain? assuming i get enough protein on a slow bulk the body will use that calorie surplus to build primarily muscle weight?
    Yes. The rule of thumb seems to be if you're lifting regularly and gaining between .5 and 1 pound per week, you shouldn't be adding too much fat. But a little fat gain is inevitable.

All you need to do is calculate your maintenance, eat around 200 calories above it, follow your weight for a week or two, and increase or decrease your calories depending on how much weight you gain over the first week or two.

Edit: you probably need more calories than I do, so maybe it makes sense for you to start with a higher surplus over your maintenance, like 350.

Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Yes. The rule of thumb seems to be if you're lifting regularly and gaining between .5 and 1 pound per week, you shouldn't be adding too much fat. But a little fat gain is inevitable.

All you need to do is calculate your maintenance, eat around 200 calories above it, follow your weight for a week or two, and increase or decrease your calories depending on how much weight you gain over the first week or two.

Edit: you probably need more calories than I do, so maybe it makes sense for you to start with a higher surplus over your maintenance, like 350.
    alright thanks alot man!