COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Powerlifting and Cardio

Lately i have been doing very little cardio. How important is cardio in relation to Powerlifting?

I train like an animal when lifting which gets the heart pumping...But is it still necessary to go for a quick run or whatever a few days/week?

Just want to know if I am actually meant to include some kind of cardiovascular exercise...
    Strength is more useful than weakness.

█──█ U Sqwot m8 █──█

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on your goals, but not being a fat bastard and being able to run a mile or three can't be a bad thing.
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by COBBER View Post
    Lately i have been doing very little cardio. How important is cardio in relation to Powerlifting?

I train like an animal when lifting which gets the heart pumping...But is it still necessary to go for a quick run or whatever a few days/week?

Just want to know if I am actually meant to include some kind of cardiovascular exercise...
    Cardiovascular exercise is not important for powerlifting but it is important for your health and well being.

Don't just run though, running sucks. Do a sport that benefits from strength training like Judo for example. Chris Jenkins is a pretty strong powerlifter that does Judo.

The guy with the white belt is Chris Jenkins.
    Last edited by Heavy_Beats; 05-03-2011 at 02:22 AM.

slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slothguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To repeat what was said, find a sport you enjoy doing and play that at least a couple times a week. If you aren't playing sports, I'd do some running or biking or something a few times a week to prevent yourself from becoming completely out of shape. Endurance can help with powerlifting anyways.

IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you enjoy doing cardiovascular training, who the fck cares... As stated above, its not necessarily going to help, but it certainly doesn't hurt as long as you're doing cardio in moderation. For the obvious reasons, cross-country distance running would not be beneficial to weight-training. Specifically in terms of growth and recovery. But there are many benefits to having a couple 20-30 minutes sessions, several times a week.
    I respect those who actually go to the gym and work their ass off, regardless of whether or not I agree with their methods of training.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lately I've switched over to no cardio. Need to recover as much as possible. Plus I've always been skinny and its hard to eat alot so the less calories I burn from cardio the better. Don't really get winded during workouts so its fine for now.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) IggMonster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One thing I should mention as another benefit to cardio, specifically PWO; I've noticed overall better recovery from just doing a 15-20min session on the elliptical. Again, this is PWO. Research would support that this can be beneficial by opening the capillaries and allowing blood/nutrients to flow a little easier.

With that being said, I trained for a long time without doing any cardio and I did fine, but now I notice better recovery. Although stretching and foam rolling work as well.
    Last edited by IggMonster; 05-03-2011 at 06:00 AM.
    I respect those who actually go to the gym and work their ass off, regardless of whether or not I agree with their methods of training.

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like to walk for 20-30mins on the treadmill on my off days, I also love using the exercise Bike.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corozco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would say that cardio IS important for powerlifting. A perfect example would be my last meet.

Instead of getting my first attempt overturned the ****gy judges gave me a fourth attempt. Usual procedure is to take a 4th attempt after having the the entire flight go over again. I was last in flight anyways and was given 4 minutes between 3rd and 4th attempts instead of having a flight take their lifts.

Got under 705 and breathing heavy as fuk while setting up fuked me up bad. Have been doing cardio ever since in case a stupid scenario like this shows up again.
    Florida Gulf Coast University Powerlifting

**MISC Strength Crew**
    **MISC Firearms Crew***
    **MISC Anti-*******ry Crew**
    ***Brings Pen and Paper to the Gym Crew***

1k+

SQUATZ AND OATZ

theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by corozco View Post
    I would say that cardio IS important for powerlifting. A perfect example would be my last meet.

Instead of getting my first attempt overturned the ****gy judges gave me a fourth attempt. Usual procedure is to take a 4th attempt after having the the entire flight go over again. I was last in flight anyways and was given 4 minutes between 3rd and 4th attempts instead of having a flight take their lifts.

Got under 705 and breathing heavy as fuk while setting up fuked me up bad. Have been doing cardio ever since in case a stupid scenario like this shows up again.
    tru dat. Being in good shape can definitely help in powerlifting. If you have better conditioning, you can recover faster from your workouts, and cardio can function as active recovery so that you can work out again with higher intensity faster. It also can improve your muscular endurance, as well as your general conditioning, and there are two main benefits to this
    a) you can do more reps which even at a low rep level increases neural efficiency (will make you stronger)
    b) You need to have good conditioning so that by the end of your meet, you still have some gas left for deadlifting. This is why a good deadlift in a full meet (without token lifts) is so much more impressive than a deadlift only meet.

blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blastbeats_stl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    look better and get sponsored by muscletech

COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COBBER is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cheers guys. Before the earthquake (I live in Christchurch) I used to go to the swimming pool and do some HIIT training on my off days with resistance paddles (murders your shoulders). But now that pool/stadium is destroyed. Don't wanna waste more petrol driving accross town so i suppose i'll have to start running again.

Would you say doing 20 minutes x 2-3 days/week is enough?

Also is it better to do a form of HIIT rather than just a consistent light run?
    Strength is more useful than weakness.

█──█ U Sqwot m8 █──█

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by COBBER View Post
    Cheers guys. Before the earthquake (I live in Christchurch) I used to go to the swimming pool and do some HIIT training on my off days with resistance paddles (murders your shoulders). But now that pool/stadium is destroyed. Don't wanna waste more petrol driving accross town so i suppose i'll have to start running again.

Would you say doing 20 minutes x 2-3 days/week is enough?

Also is it better to do a form of HIIT rather than just a consistent light run?
    In my opinion HIIT would be better, but it is also normally sport specific. It is definitely a more athletic exercise.

A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i think it's important, i don't like having to take huge breaks between sets because i can't catch my breath.

recently i've been doing barbell complexes at the end of my upper body workouts 2x a week. don't do much, usually 2 rounds of back squat->deadlift->bent over row->clean and press. 10 reps each exercise with 65 lbs

very intense cardio

GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tire drags/sled drags..heavy and moderate..Prowler too if you have access

DB Swings

those 2 will bring up your conditioning..guarantee

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    do 20 rep squats

best cardio I've done

excessive cardio can have a negative effect on strength and muscle size a bit. Yet I still do cardio from time to time-mostly sports based cardio, grappling, kickboxing, swimming, basketball ext- I like to be all around athletic.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber