AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Unhappy Is this scale wrong?

I weighed myself at the gym's scale today and it said I was 195lbs. At my height, that makes me borderline obese. Umm...I know I've gained some muscle, but 20lbs of it?!

I've just posted recent pics of me here...do I really look that heavy? http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/An...n=progresspics

Then again, the last time I used a gym scale it said I was 186lbs when I looked like this, lol --> http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...QSV31768p.jpeg
    Cutting from 175lbs to 135lbs, see my journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133641461

"Ordinary people evade facts, become inconsistent, or systematically defend themselves against the threat of new information relevant to issues [about which they have preconceived ideas]." - Cognitive Psychologist Peter Wason, 1981

Come join me: http://www.********.com/TheWellnessChick

bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AnnieOlson View Post
    I weighed myself at the gym's scale today and it said I was 195lbs. At my height, that makes me borderline obese. Umm...I know I've gained some muscle, but 20lbs of it?!

I've just posted recent pics of me here...do I really look that heavy? http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/An...n=progresspics

Then again, the last time I used a gym scale it said I was 186lbs when I looked like this, lol --> http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...QSV31768p.jpeg
    I'd use the same scale all the time. That way it doesn't really matter what the number is, just how the number changes over weeks. When I first started on this site I was 142 by my home scale and 168 by the gym scale. I haven't weighed 168 since I was 7 mos pregnant, lol..it was way off.

sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Gym scale puts me at 160. That's a full 20 pounds heavier than I am on my home scale. Even after I've eaten everything for the day, with shoes on, the most I'll be at home is 147. So basically, I think it's rigged! Just use the same scale and pay attention to the flux of numbers, as opposed to the number itself (if that makes sense?).

KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some scales are really off. My gym has two scales which differ by around 10lbs. If you're looking slimmer in your progress photos, don't even worry about what the scale says!
    Competition Wilks: 406

Powerlifting log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146773603

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentLunacy
    http://www.youtube.com/TeamWildIron

dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dyannkkuevas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

It might be wrong. I'm in the same situation.... I measured my fat% and it said 33% = borderline OBESE????? but if you look at my pictures I'm not like that, I feel ya girll..

I'd say don't focus on that but on the way you look. If I focused on my weight/fat% I would feel obese and would be depressed hahaha.... but in a serious note here, I think seeing that should encourage you to work super hard at the gym. And remember: what matters the most is what you see -those numbers could be muscle or water or like you said: the scale might be wrong -it happens!. But w/e it is, you're not obese!!!!!!

Keep it up!!! =)

hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have to say you look way better now. Please dont use the scale to see if your making progress. There is so many variables that can change your weight. It seems like your making progress but slowly. I don't mean to be blunt, I am only trying to help. In your case as many others, you might want to consider losing some body fat then building muscle. When people are new to this, they tend to gain muscle/strength even when losing fat. Please dont take all this to heart, only my opinion. You have wonderful potential, need help just hit me up, good luck with your goals and hope to see more progress

Heather
    [100K 2012 Transformation Challenge Participant]

Executive Transvestite JillSlap's Avatar
    JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000) JillSlap is just really nice. (+1000)
    One more with a huge home-scale to gym-scale difference. Almost 10 pounds different! I'm terrible at guesstimating how much people weigh, but based on your pics, you're clearly making progress, so don't panic.

I try to gauge my progress based on how my clothes fit and how my progress pics look because the scale can be a bastard. Especially at certain times of the month. As others have said, if the scale trends downward, regardless of the actual numbers, you're headed in the right direction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Humorless Prude Since 1978!

Don't let the bastards grind you down!

AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hurricane211 View Post
    I have to say you look way better now. Please dont use the scale to see if your making progress. There is so many variables that can change your weight. It seems like your making progress but slowly. I don't mean to be blunt, I am only trying to help. In your case as many others, you might want to consider losing some body fat then building muscle. When people are new to this, they tend to gain muscle/strength even when losing fat. Please dont take all this to heart, only my opinion. You have wonderful potential, need help just hit me up, good luck with your goals and hope to see more progress

Heather
    Uh, that's what I'm trying to do...am I doing it wrong or something? o_O Trying to reduce my body fat as much as possible and then will start focusing on muscle gains.
    Cutting from 175lbs to 135lbs, see my journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133641461

"Ordinary people evade facts, become inconsistent, or systematically defend themselves against the threat of new information relevant to issues [about which they have preconceived ideas]." - Cognitive Psychologist Peter Wason, 1981

Originally Posted by KimValentine View Post
    Some scales are really off. My gym has two scales which differ by around 10lbs. If you're looking slimmer in your progress photos, don't even worry about what the scale says!
    I'm trying not to. I rarely weigh myself because it seems like I could drink like 2 oz of water and my weight will go up by 2-3lbs lol. I don't think I'm weighing myself again for a long time!

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)

Pay no attention to the scale, its only a number. pay attention to the mirror. That being said, if you have weighed in on the same scale and gained 20lbs.... your overeating. This is a common problem among women when the first start training, they are hungrier and eat more without even knowing it. Start keeping ACCURATE track of your calories, you will be surprised...write down EVERY SINGLE gram you put in your body.

I always think its funny how peoples home scales are lighter, its kinda funny how that is often "adjusted" in favor of the client. LOL
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

Originally Posted by mavrick77 View Post
    Pay no attention to the scale, its only a number. pay attention to the mirror. That being said, if you have weighed in on the same scale and gained 20lbs.... your overeating. This is a common problem among women when the first start training, they are hungrier and eat more without even knowing it. Start keeping ACCURATE track of your calories, you will be surprised...write down EVERY SINGLE gram you put in your body.

I always think its funny how peoples home scales are lighter, its kinda funny how that is often "adjusted" in favor of the client. LOL
    I guess I should clarify, my first weight (175lbs) was done on my home scale, but this new weight (195) was done on a gym scale. It wasn't the same scale. But my husband weighed himself on that scale today and it has him weighing at 220, so I know it has to be overestimating. And overeating is not a problem for me,I already keep accurate track of my calories, I measure and weigh everything I eat and keep a detailed food journal. I'm actually making adjustments to my diet right now because I have trouble eating enough fat.

born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah use same scale....and weight is nothing other than an estimate....im slightly taller than you ...i weigh 170, I look good LOL thats all that matters to me and should to you you look great, no worries, keep working hard!
    ~ Christie ~
    Military vet, and working mama to a troop

Nutrition fanatic/ISSA CPT

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop, NEVER QUIT!!" " GET IT GIRL!"

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I guess I should clarify, my first weight (175lbs) was done on my home scale, but this new weight (195) was done on a gym scale. It wasn't the same scale. But my husband weighed himself on that scale today and it has him weighing at 220, so I know it has to be overestimating. And overeating is not a problem for me,I already keep accurate track of my calories, I measure and weigh everything I eat and keep a detailed food journal. I'm actually making adjustments to my diet right now because I have trouble eating enough fat.
    Ok... just looked at your pics, first and foremost, the most important thing is what the mirror says. Sadly, I looked at your pictures though, and I have to say, you have gained fat. I know people are gonna flame me, but your came to this board seeking the truth (I hope).. and yes you have gained a bit. I think your eating to much, even if you are keeping track...its too high.

Now if you came to this board looking for a compliment and to not hear the truth, I am sorrry then. I hope you wanted honesty. I know I am far from perfect and I have my flaws too.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynnbrigh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't judge yourself by the scale. Go by how your clothes feel and what you see in the mirror. Also at my old gym they intentionally made the scale off by 10lbs. Perhaps it was to make people either think they needed hire one of the trainers or that their trainer was doing an awesome job not sure which one.

Ok... just looked at your pics, first and foremost, the most important thing is what the mirror says. Sadly, I looked at your pictures though, and I have to say, you have gained fat. I know people are gonna flame me, but your came to this board seeking the truth (I hope).. and yes you have gained a bit. I think your eating to much, even if you are keeping track...its too high.

Now if you came to this board looking for a compliment and to not hear the truth, I am sorrry then. I hope you wanted honesty. I know I am far from perfect and I have my flaws too.
    Are you talking about my overall pics? I stopped in August and recently came back in March, so yeah, I am aware I became a tubbo. I've only been cutting for a month. I'm afraid I don't see how I looked like I've gained fat, because all of my measurements are down and I'm down a pant size.

JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally, I think you will do so much better if you put on more muscle mass, THEN cut. The more muscle you have, the easier cutting will be because you will burn more calories and the better your body will look due to having shapely muscle. From experience, it is incredibly hard to cut before you gain muscle and it just leaves you looking flabby. Just some friendly advice!!! I wish you the best!!

Solid at room temperature l3al3yJane's Avatar
    l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are eating in the correct calorie range for your activity level, then it is definitely an issue with the scale. Possibly both scales are a little off. Your scale could be a little low and the gym one a little too high. I've always thought that gym scales are set a little higher so that people are more "motivated" and women, especially, keep up their gym memberships and attendance. If you want the definitive answer because the number is that important to you, then go to the dr's office and get weighed. Otherwise, use a different method of measuring like tape, looseness of clothes, or compliments from people who have known you.

Other than that, if you gained 20 lbs of muscle in that time frame, then I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like to know your secret!

Keep up the good work!

BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BEATR1XK1DDO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=AnnieOlson;674286061]I weighed myself at the gym's scale today and it said I was 195lbs. At my height, that makes me borderline obese. Umm...I know I've gained some muscle, but 20lbs of it?!

Like the poster above, I'm going to be honest. You're the only one that knows if youre really sticking to your diet like you need to or not. If you're busting ass, and have a meal plan that is accurately tailored to your body, and you're sticking to it, there should be no need to be worried.

I do vary on scales, sometimes up to 6 or 8 pounds throughout the day, but I'm consuming over a gallon of water daily.

But, once again, as stated above, the scale shouldnt be your number one base of judgement. You should try to get your bodyfat accurately calibrated. What I like to do personally is take progress pictures, in the same few poses once every week to compare changes.

Good luck.
    -Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tlam12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sorry, I don't know what 195 lbs looks like, however, I could agree with many to say that you must use the same scale when assessing how much you've gained or lost. You shouldn't use the scale as much to assess how much fat loss there is, though, because you may gain muscle as well and that throws the scale out of proportion for assessment.

crutch60 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Scales

Originally Posted by tlam12 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what 195 lbs looks like, however, I could agree with many to say that you must use the same scale when assessing how much you've gained or lost. You shouldn't use the scale as much to assess how much fat loss there is, though, because you may gain muscle as well and that throws the scale out of proportion for assessment.
    Annie remember a scale places doubt so dont let rule:-)). TRANSFORM INTO MUSCLELADY

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    use tape measures, scales can lie and are subject to water weight.

priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10) priceor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Are you talking about my overall pics? I stopped in August and recently came back in March, so yeah, I am aware I became a tubbo. I've only been cutting for a month. I'm afraid I don't see how I looked like I've gained fat, because all of my measurements are down and I'm down a pant size.
    I think he must have compared your original progress with your current state. You look like you are making great progress, keep up the great work and ignore your gym scale!
    ~Olivia~

We are what we repeatedly do, Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. -- Aristotle

tinagross09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add muscle then lose fat.

Yes you are easily 195...but dont let it get ya down, its just a number, and like you said..you just got back to it..(before I had looked at your overall, that was my fault). Your also 5'8..so your tall. You have been bulking and put on a bit of fat, not much..so it will be higher, but its really not as high as you think...
    There are alot of women that claim they are 130lbs, that are far flabby'er so dont let it get ya down.

trust me, my wife has problems with the scale, This is her at 5'6 @ 156lbs. Most women hear 160lbs and freak out...she is the same.