Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny fat...would cardio do the trick?

Hi everyone. I have a problem and that problem is that I'm skinny fat. I used to be really fat when I was younger and I went on a low calorie diet about a year ago and now I'm 150lbs and 6'1. I'm really not concerned about becoming muscular or getting really nice abs or anything like that, I just want to lose some of this body fat. I don't care if I become skinnier, I'm just sick of the manboobs and the fat on my stomach. So I'm wondering, would doing cardio such as jogging and swimming help me get rid of it and just become a bit more fit looking? One of my friends doesn't life weights at all but he does cross country and swimming and his body is much nicer than mine. So, with just cardio would I be able to just lose some of this body fat? Pictures are below. Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/2up9ytf/7
    http://tinypic.com/r/2mxe6pe/7

RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10) RCMP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Throw around some dumbbells and bust out some plank/crunches, turn what little fat you have into muscle that will better support any loose skin. I can't stand when people say "Oooh I'll do cardio and lose what tiny bit of fat I have". Not saying this to you, but, to those people I sooooo badly wanna slap them and say Grow A Pair, Pick up some dumbbells, break a sweat and feel the f*cking burn. You'll love the results far more then being a twig without any muscle definition.
    Last edited by RCMP; 05-01-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
    ---> Canadian Light Infantry 8th Brigade 2004 - Now <---

If you like what I've written, toss me a Rep
    I Always Rep Back

Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alkene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RCMP View Post
    Throw around some dumbbells and bust out some plank/crunches, turn what little fat you have into muscle that will better support any loose skin. I can't stand when people say "Oooh I'll do cardio and lose what tiny bit of fat I have". Not saying this to you, but, to those people I sooooo badly wanna slap them and say Grow A Pair, Pick up some dumbbells, break a sweat and feel the f*cking burn. You'll love the results far more then being a twig without any muscle definition.
    Thanks for your opinion but that's not the answer I was looking for.

caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caretaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you stay on a caloric deficit, you'll keep losing the fat, but you'll get very skinny and won't be "fit looking". Adding some muscle mass will help with your look as well as fill out your chest and stomach areas. Cardio isn't generally going to do that for you, it will just increase your calorie deficit. Swimming may be a valid choice for some muscle development, but realistically your best bet is the answer you don't want to hear, weight training.

Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Alkene View Post
    LOL... you don't belong here... this is bodybuilding.com, not bodybreakdown.com. You're already underweight for your height and you're skinny fat because your body used muscle as its energy source during your "low calorie diet" (which I suspect was borderline anorexia looking at your pictures). You need to build more muscle mass to repair the damage you did to your body, THEN worry about getting lean. Otherwise you're just going to make your situation worse.

In Starvation Mode Brklyns_Finest's Avatar
    Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then look elsewhere. Zero muscle mass means you can cut until your dick falls off and you'll still look like a 10 year old. If you want that, then by all means don't lift and keep cutting.
    275->180->248... Next stop, 150

"It ain't about how hard you can hit. Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" ---Rocky Balboa

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

DISCIPLINE + PATIENCE = SUCCESS

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i had more fat than you last year, i lost it by doing cardio, less cals and weighted ab work....and lifting 4 times a week.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50) DefiningMoments will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you just need to lift weights and gain weight. Cutting will make your body look like crap.
    Starting Weight: 190.4 lbs

| 3/02: 190 lbs | 3/09: 188 lbs | 3/16: 183 lbs | 3/23: 180 lbs | 3/30: 178 lbs | MARCH LOSS: 12lbs
    | 4/06: --- lbs | 4/13: --- lbs | 4/20: --- lbs | 4/27: --- lbs | APRIL LOSS: ??
    | 5/04: --- lbs | 5/11: --- lbs | 5/18: --- lbs | 5/25: --- lbs | MAY LOSS: ??

TOTAL LOSS:

xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xHailStone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi everyone. I have a problem and that problem is that I'm skinny fat. I used to be really fat when I was younger and I went on a low calorie diet about a year ago and now I'm 150lbs and 6'1. I'm really not concerned about becoming muscular or getting really nice abs or anything like that, I just want to lose some of this body fat. I don't care if I become skinnier, I'm just sick of the manboobs and the fat on my stomach. So I'm wondering, would doing cardio such as jogging and swimming help me get rid of it and just become a bit more fit looking? One of my friends doesn't life weights at all but he does cross country and swimming and his body is much nicer than mine. So, with just cardio would I be able to just lose some of this body fat? Pictures are below. Thanks!

Save your money up for a benchpress or do some intense pushups every day and eat more protein and stop worrying about your "skinny fat" After a few months of dedication your cross country friend won't have nothing on you.

BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know you don't like the answers you are getting but they are all right. You are really light for your weight. Your buddy only does cardio but that doesn't mean that's why he looks the way he does. Genetics are at play here and some people just gain/maintain more lean body mass then others. You aren't comparing apples to apples, everyone is an individual case. For you most have already said it, pick up the weights man. You will be amazed how quickly things can change.
    June 1 - Sept 1 Cut 2011
    Goal 185
    6-1: 208 | 6-10: xxx | 6-17: xxx | 6-24: 204 | Month Total:
    7-1: xxx | 7-8: 202 | 7-15: 200 | 7-22: 202 | 7-29: 198 | Month Total:
    8-5: 198 | 8-12: 197 | 8-19: xxx | 8-26: xxx | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 9-1: xxx

March to June Fat loss Comp 2011
    3-1: 234
    6-1: 208
    Total loss 26 pounds

Ok, thanks everyone. My point was just that I wasn't looking for someones opinion saying i'd love being muscular than being thin. I just wanted an answer to my question. anyways I guess i can see a trend here so I should start lifting I guess but does that mean I should be getting a caloric surplus (bulking)?

.Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yes to surplus in cals... yes to lifting hevah.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10) brroyal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well to begin with, your body naturally wants to maintain an ammount of fat.

You're really skinny (no lean mass ) so the best thing to do or what I would do, is gain muscle, then cut. The added muscle will make it easier to cut, as well as taking up some of the space of the fat and give you a better look.

Summary:

ETHIOPIAN DIET IS NOT THE WAY TO GO, AND NO CARDIO IS NOT THE ANSWER.

ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by .Geeza View Post
    yes to surplus in cals... yes to lifting hevah.

you're 6 foot 1 and 150 lbs, how the hell are you that tiny for that height?

Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChrisMNilson View Post
    you're 6 foot 1 and 150 lbs, how the hell are you that tiny for that height?
    Pretty sure his stats say he's 180

EDIT: Thought you were referring to .Geeza because of the quote
    Last edited by Brklyns_Finest; 05-01-2011 at 03:47 PM.

"It ain't about how hard you can hit. Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" ---Rocky Balboa

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

That metal guy in the gym RMohio's Avatar
    RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMohio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    True brooklyn. So op which is it? 180 or 150? Do what ever you feel you wanna do. No one is going to agree if you continue to cut. having your caloric deficit will get you were you want. You most likely wont like the end product.
    Injuries are in my past, greatness is in my future.

Originally Posted by RMohio View Post
    True brooklyn. So op which is it? 180 or 150?
    Wait, I thought we were talking about .Geeza lol. Previous poster quoted him asking how he was only 150, so I assumed he was talking about .Geeza. If he was talking about OP, I agree and rescind my previous post.

Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drukqs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brklyns_Finest View Post
    Pretty sure his stats say he's 180
    He says in his OP that he's 150lb.

Originally Posted by Drukqs View Post
    He says in his OP that he's 150lb.
    Again, poster I quoted had just quoted .Geeza, then asked how he was 150, so I assumed he was talking to .Geeza. Mah "B" dawgs.

.Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 206 now, old stats hah... I've never been 150 lol

arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arigra123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think OP is under the impression that if he lifts weights he will get too muscular...

SMH...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    ^^ Magic Thread - Guaranteed to solve over 50% of your problems and questions.

Originally Posted by arigra123 View Post
    I think OP is under the impression that if he lifts weights he will get too muscular...

SMH...
    I'm not sure which is more ridiculous, that fear, or the fear that if you don't have double body weight in grams of protein and take one week off lifting all your muscle will melt off. Muscle is much more stubborn than many think, coming or going.

BTW, you should change your sig to at least 80% lol

SMH...
    Everybody sorta thinks like that until they found out just how hard getting muscular is and ends up wanting to get bigger after seeing minor muscular results.

TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100) TheCreator0115 is not very well liked. (-100)
    the answer to your question is NO.Cardio will not do the trick.A good diet and joining a gym however will do it.

Originally Posted by brroyal View Post
    well to begin with, your body naturally wants to maintain an ammount of fat.

You're really skinny (no lean mass ) so the best thing to do or what I would do, is gain muscle, then cut. The added muscle will make it easier to cut, as well as taking up some of the space of the fat and give you a better look.

Summary:

ETHIOPIAN DIET IS NOT THE WAY TO GO, AND NO CARDIO IS NOT THE ANSWER.
    Lol i'm not dieting anymore, that was almost a year ago. And ok thanks for the advice haha

Originally Posted by RMohio View Post
    True brooklyn. So op which is it? 180 or 150? Do what ever you feel you wanna do. No one is going to agree if you continue to cut. having your caloric deficit will get you were you want. You most likely wont like the end product.
    It's 150 :X

SMH...
    No....it's just that i'm not really concerned about being muscular, my main goal is to get rid of the fat.

Originally Posted by TheCreator0115 View Post
    the answer to your question is NO.Cardio will not do the trick.A good diet and joining a gym however will do it.
    Okay thanks! If anyone used to be like this and has now changed and could give me some advice, that'd be great too!

nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000)
    wow.

OP if you do cardio, based on the little muscle mass you have and your strong reluctance to do lift weight... YES YOU CAN LOSE YOUR FAT without lifting. Dead SRS.

You will have to do calorie deficit and cardio until you hit probably 120-130lbs. Looks like you have 20lbs of fat to lose. Good luck with your fat loss goals in 2011.
    100% 中國人. 1k+.

*** T-Dot Misc Crew

*** T-Dot Misc BBM Crew

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

SMH...
    Heaven forbid.

Uh OP, this is a bodybuilding board, not a lose weight until you are emaciated board. Eat in a caloric surplus and lift weights. Chicks dig muscles.

nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000) nli07 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    Heaven forbid.

Uh OP, this is a bodybuilding board, not a lose weight until you are emaciated board. Eat in a caloric surplus and lift weights. Chicks dig muscles.
    common, tell me im not the only one curious to see OP at 10% bf at a weight of 110. ;P
    100% 中國人. 1k+.

*** T-Dot Misc Crew

*** T-Dot Misc BBM Crew

Originally Posted by nli07 View Post
    common, tell me im not the only one curious to see OP at 10% bf at a weight of 110. ;P
    Lol, I kinda want to, just so we have a reference picture for all the others who insist on cutting with no mass to get to the Holy Grail that is 10% bf.

Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi everyone. I have a problem and that problem is that I'm skinny fat.
    OP, you get unsatisfactory answers because your posts are nonsense. Of course aerobic exercising will help you lose fat. What do you think? "No, lying down on a couch all day is the best way to burn calories."

But it will just make you look worse. You already look sickly. If you change your look by getting even thinner, you certainly won't look better, you'll look like you have some kind of eating disorder. This is a body-building site, not a starvation support website.