OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What weight dumbbells should I buy?

Found some on craigslist for .50 cents a pound, he has these for weights:
    2 x 8 lbs.
    2 x 10 lbs.
    2 x 12 lbs.
    2 x 15 lbs.
    2 x 20 lbs.
    2 x 25 lbs.
    2 x 30 lbs.
    2 x 35 lbs.
    2 x 35 lbs.
    2 x 40 lbs.
    2 x 45 lbs.
    2 x 50 lbs.
    2 x 75 lbs.

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but right now I only have bench/squat set and want to start incorporating dumbbells into my workouts. I squat about 160, bench 135 just for reference but I want to be lifting much heavier in the future I'm 6"3

Squating in the curl rack OutKlast's Avatar
    OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000)
    All of them. If you don't have the space get adjustables. Don't make the mistake of just getting a few pairs. That's the best way to set yourself up for failure; unless you're a girl just looking to get toned and stay "fit".

OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50) OatmealRaisin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No definitely looking to bulk, I just wondering how light is too light and if I wont be using it after a while and just lose money.

Squating in the curl rack OutKlast's Avatar
    OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by OatmealRaisin View Post
    No definitely looking to bulk, I just wondering how light is too light and if I wont be using it after a while and just lose money.
    The thing is there are so many exercises that you can do with free weights. 8lbs is a pretty decent amount for things like a lateral raise. When you're buying a set of fixed weights there are going to be some that may collect dust. The trouble is at one point that set probably didn't collect dust. You had to earn the right to put that set on the back burner by progressing through it and increasing your strength. If you're worried about not using every set I'd look at an adjustable pair.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Eh, if I was just starting out, I wouldn't mess with anything below the 20lbs.
    But, if you wanted the 10s and 15s that's cool...I just wouldn't waste the money on the 8s and 12s....
    From there buy as heavy as you think you'll need/want/can afford.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You've got a couple of options and both will require a decent chunk of change. If you have the cash and the space then you can go with a set like you're looking at and just try to fill in the gap between 50lbs and 75lbs. Then as you get stronger you may have to add on up to the 100 or 120lb range. Not as expensive but still nothing to sneeze at you can go the adjustable dumbbell route. If you do a search here you will come up with hundreds of threads on the subject but to save you some time you just need to remember two names Powerblock and Ironmaster. If your budget is limited and you are patient then you can cruise your local craigslist where powerblocks should show up every now and then and individuals and sets show up pretty regularly depending on your market.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Also...don't be married to the idea of fixed weights too. Depending on the deal (and your needs) buying handles and pancake plates might be a good route to look into....
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Also...don't be married to the idea of fixed weights too. Depending on the deal (and your needs) buying handles and pancake plates might be a good route to look into....
    Yeah I will look for some of those. I have weights from my bench press, but those weights don't fit the handles! It sucks, they are too big for the handle

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Unless you have a lot of money and space your better off in the long run with adjustable dumbbells IMO.

You can get some cheap spin lock handles for $5 a piece at Walmart. If you get three sets then you don't have to change weights very often during your workouts. You can also get some used weights off Craig's list or look for a deal at a local store.

Alternatively, get some ironmasters or power blocks. Just make sure the PB are upgradeable in case you want to increase their weight capacity later on. Both can be upgraded to over 120lbs which is great.

Good luck.

The list of dumbbells your looking at goes up to 50lbs and then jumps to 75lbs.

VeganBodyBuilding.com Alchematron's Avatar
    Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you can afford it, I would go with Ironmaster

http://ironmaster.com/store/Quick-Lo...Rack-pr-2.html

Saves space

2.5 lb increments

I would much rather jump 2.5 than 5.0 when increasing weight

And gradually increasing weight is the name of the game

Appreciate the help guys. Man, those adjustable dumbbells are sweet, but a little too expensive for me. I would love to just buy some handles and use the weights that came with my bench press, but they don't fit. I have boughten handles and both walmart and target but the handles from both places were too small for the weights that fit on the bench press bar. And like you guys said, the weights on the craigslist ad jump from 50-70.

Would I even need that high of weight though? I can use the barbell for bench press and squats, so I would only need the dumbbells for flys and raises, maybe I could just buy up to 35?

Registered User WorkingOnTheDream's Avatar
    WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
    If you can afford it, I would go with Ironmaster

http://ironmaster.com/store/Quick-Lo...Rack-pr-2.html

Saves space

2.5 lb increments

I would much rather jump 2.5 than 5.0 when increasing weight

And gradually increasing weight is the name of the game

Isn't it 2.5 lbs/side (each plate is 2.5 lbs), so 5 lb increments?
    No matter where you go, there you are.

VeganBodyBuilding.com Alchematron's Avatar
    Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000) Alchematron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WorkingOnTheDream View Post
    Isn't it 2.5 lbs/side (each plate is 2.5 lbs), so 5 lb increments?
    From their website

Adjust from 5-75 lbs each in 2.5 lb increments in just seconds. (75 lbs each dumbell = 150 lbs total)

Set includes two handles with four locking screws, 24 ea. 5 lb plates and 4 ea. 2.5 lb plates. Handles weigh 5 lbs empty and each locking screw weighs 2.5 lbs so the starting weight is 10 lbs each dumbbell before plates are added. 65 lbs of plates can be put loaded on each handle.

So expensive though! there is one of those on craigslist right now for 300 it goes up to 50 lbs, I just don't know if I need that high of weight do I? I would be using dumbbells for what? Flys and raises right? I haven't done them before so I don't know how heavy it genearlly goes, I just don't want to waste money I dont have much, and I have barbell for other exercises! What do you think?

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by OatmealRaisin View Post
    So expensive though! there is one of those on craigslist right now for 300 it goes up to 50 lbs, I just don't know if I need that high of weight do I? I would be using dumbbells for what? Flys and raises right? I haven't done them before so I don't know how heavy it genearlly goes, I just don't want to waste money I dont have much, and I have barbell for other exercises! What do you think?
    It depends how serious you are with your workouts and how far your going to take them. It's true you don't need the ironmaster and could get away with spin lock dumbbells. It's just that the ironmasters are more convenient and faster to use and more weight can be used among other benefits. The thing about dumbbells are they are one of the best investments you can make for a home gym. The number of exercises you can perform and the muscles you can work with them make them the most versatile piece of equipment you can have which is why most people here spend the money on nice ones.

Dumbbells are also good because they require you to use stabilizing muscles when you do certain things such as benching. I like having the ironmasters because when you start doing things like lawnmowers and other back exercises you quickly go up in the weight you can do and it soon becomes necessary to upgrade to the 120lb kit.

It's all up to you though. If your a very, very casual lifter then stick with the cheapest thing possible but if you are trying to put on some muscle mass or get stronger and are going to spend a good amount of time over the next two years or more lifting weights then the investment would be worth it. Just look into different routines you can do with dumbbells.

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are so many exercises that can be done with dumbbells not just raises and flys. Too many to list. You could do a pretty respectable full body routine with just dumbbells if need be. Two exercises that I do where a heavier dumbbell is needed are single arm bent rows and shrugs. There are others of course especially if you decide to use them as a variation or supplement to barbell exercises like squats or deads. Just try to get the best you can afford and keep in mind that whatever you get you will want to expand it in the future.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the long run it's going to be much cheaper to get adjustables. For the most part - no matter what sizes you get, you will eventually out grow them.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    In the long run it's going to be much cheaper to get adjustables. For the most part - no matter what sizes you get, you will eventually out grow them.
    So adjustables are cheaper than single dumbbells? Because I figured I could just re sell the weights when I outgrew them, but I couldnt do that with the adjustable

alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion, judging by your situation you should pick up some standard spinlock dumbbell handles and 10/5/2.5 lb standard plates.

Buying this guys dumbbells, even up to 35 lbs, is going to cost you ~$150 already.

You can pick some cheap handles up at Walmart for ~$5. The $5 handles should allow you to go at least up to ~80 lbs per dumbbell, and the thing is is, you can just buy as many standard plates as you want right now, and as you "outgrow" them and get stronger, just buy more to make heavier dumbbells. You can also invest in better dumbbell handles in the future; they sell longer ones that would hold more weight than the $5 ones, so when you exceed the limits of the $5 handles you can just buy a longer handle and still put all those weights you bought to good use. You may even want to buy multiple sets of handles and have them all set up with different weights so you don't have to bother with switching weights between exercises.

Here is a link to the dumbbell handles at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...-Ends/11089965

With Walmart's return policy you could always just return them if you find out it's something you don't want. You may also want to try to look around craigslist for people selling their handles (often comes with weight).

As for the standard plates, you can usually find them cheap on craigslist, and I believe Walmart may also sell them (not sure on prices though). You may want to try a local used sports store like Play It Again Sports.

Anyways, you would be $5 into $150, so even if you bought standard plates @ $1/lb (you should be able to find them way cheaper though) you can get at least 140 lbs of standard plates, which would be an adjustable 70 lbs per dumbbell for the price you would have spent on fixed dumbbells up to 35 lbs.

Ultimately it is your decision, but this is what I would do in your situation. It saves time and money, and will be very upgradeable in the future.

feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) feelsg00dmayne is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Eh, if I was just starting out, I wouldn't mess with anything below the 20lbs.
    But, if you wanted the 10s and 15s that's cool...I just wouldn't waste the money on the 8s and 12s....
    From there buy as heavy as you think you'll need/want/can afford.
    no brah, get all of them except the 8s. For shoulders (ie lateral raise and reverse flies) a beginner WILL NEED 10s.

Registered User WorkingOnTheDream's Avatar
    WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
    From their website

Adjust from 5-75 lbs each in 2.5 lb increments in just seconds. (75 lbs each dumbell = 150 lbs total)

Set includes two handles with four locking screws, 24 ea. 5 lb plates and 4 ea. 2.5 lb plates. Handles weigh 5 lbs empty and each locking screw weighs 2.5 lbs so the starting weight is 10 lbs each dumbbell before plates are added. 65 lbs of plates can be put loaded on each handle.
    Yeah, not quite honest of them saying it adjusts in 2.5 # increments, unless you don't mind off-balance dumbbells.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alt214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is what they say about it in the manual:

3. It is possible to use the dumbells with an uneven number of plates on either end of a handle. It is not recommended to use more than 5 lbs offset. To make a small 2 ½ lb incremental weight change, simply add one 2 ½ lb plate to one end of the handle and position your hand slightly closer to the heavier end of the dumbell for good balance.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Using one 2.5lb weight on one side of the handle works fine. If its that big of a deal, buy some 1.25lbs weights, throw them on there when you want to adjust in 2.5lb increments. it isn't really necessary, but it will work and you won't have to worry about using unbalanced weights....lol.
    Last edited by Keetman; 05-01-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by feelsg00dmayne View Post
    no brah, get all of them except the 8s. For shoulders (ie lateral raise and reverse flies) a beginner WILL NEED 10s.
    Depending on the person, a beginner may need to do 2.5lb lateral raises to start with. But for anything up to 10lbs it's pretty easy to just grab some weight plates in each hand rather than actually needing dumbbells.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Cbass001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Don't Do What I Did!

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago. I purchased a rack of dumbbells that went up to 50lbs thinking that would be sufficient for a while. If you are training with the right techniques, and feeding your body to build mass/strength, you will quickly get stronger - especially if you are 6'3" and only benching 135lbs.

Don't purchase a set of dumbbells based on what you are able to lift now, but on what you hope to be lifting in the future. Your best option is to pay for adjustable dumbbells that go up to 90 or 100lbs. That will cost you around the same amount and will give you much more resistance for when you grow stronger. Not to mention they will save you a ton of space!

If you need larger dumbbells than that in the future, you can just buy dumbbells one set at a time. For instance, I am now doing bent over rows with 100lb dumbbells. I just went out and bought a set of 100lb dumbbells when I needed them.

You are better off over-planning than under-preparing!
    Get Ripped Now - http://Rip****ut.com

"People seldom improve when they have no other model but themselves to copy after."

ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Cbass001 View Post
    I was in the same situation as you a few years ago. I purchased a rack of dumbbells that went up to 50lbs thinking that would be sufficient for a while. If you are training with the right techniques, and feeding your body to build mass/strength, you will quickly get stronger - especially if you are 6'3" and only benching 135lbs.

Don't purchase a set of dumbbells based on what you are able to lift now, but on what you hope to be lifting in the future. Your best option is to pay for adjustable dumbbells that go up to 90 or 100lbs. That will cost you around the same amount and will give you much more resistance for when you grow stronger. Not to mention they will save you a ton of space!

If you need larger dumbbells than that in the future, you can just buy dumbbells one set at a time. For instance, I am now doing bent over rows with 100lb dumbbells. I just went out and bought a set of 100lb dumbbells when I needed them.

You are better off over-planning than under-preparing!

Powerblocks or Bowflex select tech. I bought my 5 lb-50 lb for 275 for a pair. Best investment i've spent in the past 2 years. Also you could pick up some push stands that are decent and pump out some pushup variations.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChrisMNilson View Post
    Powerblocks......

Yes.

Originally Posted by ChrisMNilson View Post
    ................ or Bowflex select tech. .....

No.

If anybody reads this and doesn't understand why....search it, there's plenty of info out there. They suck.

Your advice on adjustable db's is good advice, the selectecs are just junk though. Powerblocks, Ironmasters, or spinlocks are all viable options.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Yes.

No.

If anybody reads this and doesn't understand why....search it, there's plenty of info out there. They suck.

Your advice on adjustable db's is good advice, the selectecs are just junk though. Powerblocks, Ironmasters, or spinlocks are all viable options.

Never tried out select tech. but ive have outgrown my powerblocks and wished i had bought the upgradeable version.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am probably too late but based on your strength levels I would pick up a pair of 20's and 40's. This would be a $60 investment and would allow you to perform the majority of the exercises that you will need, while staying in an effective rep range. The 20's can be used for things like curls, triceps extensions, side raises, and military press. The 40's can be used for bench, incline bench, and rows. Assuming that you will be working your lower body you can also do lunges and stiff-leg deadlifts with the 40's.

At $.50/lb that is a good price but is not unheard of, you can pick up a pair of 50's or 60's once the 40's are too light (or look at other options like plate load dumbbells - depending on what is available).
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs