ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlifting For Bodybuilding

Hey,
    I'm familiar with a lot of routines placing deadlifts being in the 4-6 rep range
    due to a largely strength based approach. I've been using this approach for a
    long time and now feel like I have a fairly adequate dl / understaning of the lift.
    Now, in terms of bodybuilding goals would a more hypertrophy based approach be more beneficial?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ttownrepre; 04-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    THat is an endless debate.

Most feel to keep conventional deads in lower rep ranges and then use variations in other rep ranges.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I actually always preferred deads in the kind of 10 rep area. Anything too heavy just fried me and didn't feel good or make me stronger, but ~10 reps felt solid.

The thing is not to go to failure or get too fatigued during the set, you must keep good form throughout. Deadlifts will rape you in the ****ing face if you start to lose them for the last few reps. Leave several reps "in the tank" when you're doing them, and don't push up the weight too quickly.

If you don't feel safe or strong through that range (I perform better with higher reps anyway) then as mentioned above, just do some low-rep deads and then pump&tone with other exercises.

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by juhneticks View Post
    I actually always preferred deads in the kind of 10 rep area. Anything too heavy just fried me and didn't feel good or make me stronger, but ~10 reps felt solid.

The thing is not to go to failure or get too fatigued during the set, you must keep good form throughout. Deadlifts will rape you in the ****ing face if you start to lose them for the last few reps. Leave several reps "in the tank" when you're doing them, and don't push up the weight too quickly.

If you don't feel safe or strong through that range (I perform better with higher reps anyway) then as mentioned above, just do some low-rep deads and then pump&tone with other exercises.
    I disagree with about half of what you said. Yes, form is extremely important, but you should definitely be going 100% (going to fail). And providing you're doing it with good form, you definitely should be trying to pull up as fast as you can (just not in a jerking motion, but a smooth pulling motion).

Also, you used the word "tone". Please, never do that again or I'll punch you in the face through my monitor and out yours.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juhneticks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by __Iceman__ View Post
    I disagree with about half of what you said. Yes, form is extremely important, but you should definitely be going 100% (going to fail). And providing you're doing it with good form,
    Well which is it, failure or good form? It can't be both, son. If you think it can then I guess we have different ideas about what these terms mean, that's all.

you definitely should be trying to pull up as fast as you can (just not in a jerking motion, but a smooth pulling motion).
    I meant don't increase the weight on the bar too quickly, don't get greedy with gains. Just let the strength come.

Also, you used the word "tone". Please, never do that again or I'll punch you in the face through my monitor and out yours.
    u mad at my fine tone brah?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well which is it, failure or good form? It can't be both, son. If you think it can then I guess we have different ideas about what these terms mean, that's all.
    I'm guessing iceman is using positive failure, where you are using absolute failure.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    I'm guessing iceman is using positive failure, where you are using absolute failure.
    u also mad at my fine tone brah?

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    This. I always do my last deadlift set to failure, but I make sure I don't sacrifice form. If I notice I am unable to pull more without form breaking down too much then that's where I stop.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

u also mad at my fine tone brah?
    Uhhh.... no.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Uhhh.... no.
    Well you should be.

Well you should be.
    I'll work on it.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well which is it, failure or good form? It can't be both, son. ?
    ^ ?? I am pretty sure you can maintain good form and still take a set of deads, or any other move, to failure. Sure you can break form and cheat a little on certain moves to force out a couple more reps but it is still possible to reach positive failure with good form. If it was not possible then basically everyone who ever takes any set to failure is not using good form?

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you truly go to failure, your form will suffer. This is even more true if the rep ranges are higher. If you are quitting because you think your form will be bad, you aren't going to failure. That is why I never do high reps.

High reps can be good but don't go too heavy. I realize that is arbitrary so just take notes on the feel and then once you have a foundation, start to progress.

Also, if you want to just get a lot out of deadlifts by not lifting much, Lee Haney recommends to do them at the end of the set when you are fatigued.

Originally Posted by chrisboudreaux View Post
    If you truly go to failure, your form will suffer. This is even more true if the rep ranges are higher. If you are quitting because you think your form will be bad, you aren't going to failure. That is why I never do high reps.
    I disagree. I did 14 reps of 270 last back day for my final set, each rep from full-stop, back straight, chest out, shoulders back and I definitely went to fail. If you cannot go to fail without breaking your technique, your technique isn't good.

Originally Posted by __Iceman__ View Post
    I disagree. I did 14 reps of 270 last back day for my final set, each rep from full-stop, back straight, chest out, shoulders back and I definitely went to fail. If you cannot go to fail without breaking your technique, your technique isn't good.
    This is all just semanitcs, idiot. Your idea of "failiure" is a lesser version than the other dude's.

noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100) noobboon is not very well liked. (-100)
    sadfsdfafd

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=chrisboudreaux;672031531]If you truly go to failure, your form will suffer. This is even more true if the rep ranges are higher. If you are quitting because you think your form will be bad, you aren't going to failure. That is why I never do high reps.

QUOTE]

^Yeah, I disagree. Imagine doing a set of bb curls with super strict form and repping til u just can't get the weight past the sticking point. You are taking it to failure without breaking form. Now if you cheat the weight past the sticking point then you are going past positive failure but positive failure is very much possible without compromising technique or form.

NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Positive failure (form not suffering) = one rep short from complete/absolute failure (form suffering). Isn't the topic about Deadlifts for Bodybuilding?

ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    THat is an endless debate.

Most feel to keep conventional deads in lower rep ranges and then use variations in other rep ranges.
    Oh okay. I couldn't really think of ant clear benefit of hitting higher reps, though I think I'll try out 6-8 reps for a few months then report back - at least this way my lower back won't be under too much unneeded stress. Also I feel like alternating to a strength day once every 3 weeks will suffice.
    As a sidenote I'd just like to say thank you. I've made a handful of threads throughout the past and nearly each and everytime time you have taken time out to answer it not only on a technical aspect but also from the experience of practice too. I am always glad to see you in post in my topics and grateful you still post in this section..just thought I'd give some props where it was due. Hope to see you still regularly post in the future.
    </****gytime>

I understand what your getting at though the only issue I see is grip, as I'd have to go at a much lower weight just for the last few reps. I'm going to try a 8 rep scheme and see how I go.

Thanks for all the replies guys