bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question Question about squats..

Morning gals..

I've been trying to increase my squat weight, but not sure if I'm going about it the right way.

First of all, I can squat, say 4 sets of 10-12 reps with 135-155lbs and feel fine. I either do parrallel, or box squats. I added box squats b/c I thought that might help with powering out of the "hole". The box is slightly below parallel for me. And the box squats are more difficult than the standard.

I also do front squats. I'm at 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps with 105 lbs., ATG. These seem much easier.

Now, when I say I feel fine...I mean I don't feel like Im going to collapse under the weight...It's very hard work but manageable..

I'd like to get the weights heavier. The problem seems to be it takes me a while to get comfortable, so I feel like I can't jump into a heavy set of say 5 reps or something. I do warm up with bodyweight squats. I think I get scared of the heavier weight..scared of dropping it (I do lift in one of those squat rack things, so it would be safe but embarrassing). It's like I have a mini panic attack when I feel the weight on my back and it's heavier than 155..

A trainer friend suggested I keep doing my 4 sets with 10-12 reps and add weight very slowly. My goal is to build up mass in my glutes/hams. I finish this workout (I do both reg. and front squats first)with weighted lunges, reverse hyperextensions, goodmornings, and weighted glutes bridges.

I do another leg/lower body circuit later in the week with different exercises.

Soooo..to get to my question Im wondering if my higher rep lower weight squats are good enough to build some mass, if I supplement with the other lifts. Or am I wasting time adding weight very slowly? If I can do that much weight for those sets/reps I assume my 1 rep max could be a lot more..

am I the only one afraid of squats, lol??

Soundtrack Always Playing DanceDiva's Avatar
    DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Add weight slowly, but you also need to warm-up with more than bodyweight squats.

Read these articles:

Warming Up For the Weight Room Part 1
    Warming Up for the Weight Room Part 2

Particularly the 2nd where he gives an example of weight on the bar warm ups.
    -- Keep the Faith Baby (Adam Clayton Powell)

-- "If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come
    up with a Plan B."

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you ever actually failed on a squat and had to rely on the safety bars OP? If not, I suggest you intentionally try it (not failing, but I mean, practice dumping the weight at the bottom position and getting out.) After you do it once and know you'll live lol and probably no one will even notice you shouldn't be as freaked out. I always practice the bail out on anything like that just so I know what will happen in advance, because even in a power rack when you realize you're stuck you do get that moment of panic.

As for the weight, I agree you need to REALLY warm up. I do a warm up on the exercise bike, body weight squats, then just like the bar, 65lbs, etc, and that seems to be fine. I hate high rep squats/DL, just not worth it for me really. I find 4 sets of 4 to be pretty helpful though. If you can do 10 reps for 155 of course you can manage 4x4 at 160, easy. Add 5lbs a workout and see where you get.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bosgirlin09 View Post
    The problem seems to be it takes me a while to get comfortable, so I feel like I can't jump into a heavy set of say 5 reps or something. I do warm up with bodyweight squats. I think I get scared of the heavier weight..scared of dropping it (I do lift in one of those squat rack things, so it would be safe but embarrassing). It's like I have a mini panic attack when I feel the weight on my back and it's heavier than 155..
    I got over that fear using the Advanced German Volume thing. You start with 10x5 at a weight you can do 10 times, read the program, try it, and you'll be amazed with how you progress.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]