ldarwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out without a gym

I'm currently trying to lose fat and build/keep what muscle I have. I have a high bodyfat %, probably something around 40-45%.

I've lowered my daily calorie intake, and *just* started working out, and in the past I've only done cardio (hiking, walking, elliptical). I'm trying to add more weight training to my weekly work out so I won't lose what muscle I have along with the fat.

Since I can't afford my local gym, I've been doing body weight exercises. Currently my workout includes a circuit of:
    lunges (x20), pushups (x10), squats (x20), dumbbell lifts (~20lbs) x10, jumping jacks (x35), planks (min. 20 seconds)

I try to go through this circuit 3 times without any breaks. And this weekend finally managed to do that. (Before I could only get through it twice without a break.)

I have a lot of fat to lose, so I'm figuring this is enough to at least get me started. But I wanted to get a second opinion... do you think this will at least help me NOT lose muscle and maybe even build some? I am very much in the dark when it comes to muscle workouts, but what little I've done I'm loving it. Any other exercises you can recommend are always helpful too!

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's only recently that I've started going to the gym - previously I was doing everything at home, and I actually found (while I couldn't get great muscle quality) I had really good luck with fat burning. Not counting cardio, I mostly just focused on crunches, squats, my free weights, and anything I could do with a resistance band. The key thing for me was that I split my workout through the day, so I did a few sets, 3 or 4 times a day (the squats I loved because you can do them midday in the office without looking too crazy - things like crunches maybe I could only do in the morning and then evening). The little mini-workouts (none longer than 15 minutes) were *great* for me (although didn't give me the muscle tone that I'm looking for now). You can do amazing things at home, without equipment, if you're determined. Your own body weight is a great tool to use too.

VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VenusVegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't use a gym either. We've just started buying equipment to use at home...it's just so much more convenient! Try going here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

You can choose areas you want to target, then select the exercises that utilize the equipment you do have. i.e. dumbbells, body only, etc. It will then give you a list of exercises, photos, a written description and a video of how to perform the exercises. It's been very helpful in designing programs!

Good luck!
    It's never too late to become what you might have been.

-NASM Certified Personal Trainer-

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am very anti-gym myself.

We have a home gym that we put together from stuff we bought off of craigslist. The squat rack with bar and plates were like $400 which was a lot cheaper then what the two of us pay per year at the gym. But equipment like this isn't necessary at all to get a good workout. I personally love working out outside and try to incorporate things that i find in my yard/shed/garage to get a good workout. Here is a great article on how to workout withotu a gym:

http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem

If you like hiking taking a heavy pack with you is a good way to get an additional workout. Before we go backpacking we always fill up our packs with our gear and go for a hike on the weekend. A good pack should take the weight off of your back and shoulders and place it on your hips so you won't feel like you are carrying around 35lbs but you are!

If you have a playground near your house this is a wonderful piece of equipment. Monkey bars can be good for chin ups is you are able to do those. If not just use them liek you would if you were a kid . You can do step ups on the jungle gym, plyo workouts or just plain have fun.

Climbing trees is a great workout as is wall climbing. If you lvie near an REI and are a member some of the stores have climbing walls that you can use for free on the weekends as a member.

mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, if you want you can check out my log to get some ideas or just go to youtube and you will find out thousands of workouts (also check out bodyweightculture.com - really cool site!).

anyway,good luck w/ your goals!getting started sometimes is the hardest part!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143471063&p=854819153#post854819153
    Cut,cut, cut!

ldarwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks!

Thanks everyone for the links, this definitely points me in the right direction!