drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

low bar vs high bar squattting

When i squat high bar I lift 50lbs more than when i use low bar. But i have read low bar is supposed to be better for lifting more weight, am I doing it wrong?

lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool story bro
    PBs:
    Oly Squat: 145 kg
    Front Squat: 125 kg
    Strict Overhead Press: 75x2 kg
    Push Press: 90 kg
    Bench Press: 100 kg
    Deadlift: 180 kg
    Power|Full Clean: 95|100 kg
    (Hang) Power Snatch: 72.5 kg
    40-Yard Dash: 4.7s
    3-Cone Drill: 6.8s

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129882473

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew

drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewnorcup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by lwild View Post
    Cool story bro
    strong advice, also correct your deadlift form, that stuff dont look to fun in your avi

CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CWillisA is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    everyone is different, high bar might work for you
    My best lifts

Not in competiton: Squat 300, bench 185, deadlift 335

In competition: Squat 286, bench 148, deadlift 356

All raw

Originally Posted by CWillisA View Post
    everyone is different, high bar might work for you
    but from what i have read low bar is a must for optimal weight lifted

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Final;y!!1

johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by drewnorcup View Post
    but from what i have read low bar is a must for optimal weight lifted
    i've seen 800lb+ low bar squats and i've seen 800lb+ high bar squats.

imo high bar allows you to go deeper (ass touching calves) and low bar allows more of your adductors to get involved (which help me to use my stretch reflexs right below parallel)
    Kuzuri

"All right, pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers in this racket. I myself, I jerk off at least... twice a day."
    -Mark Hanna

Originally Posted by johnsonb90436 View Post
    i've seen 800lb+ low bar squats and i've seen 800lb+ high bar squats.

imo high bar allows you to go deeper (ass touching calves) and low bar allows more of your adductors to get involved (which help me to use my stretch reflexs right below parallel)
    so I must be doing ti wrong, repped

johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnsonb90436 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    no you might just be using a squat technique/bar position that is accustom to your body type.

btw there is a search function. this type of thread has been created before
    Kuzuri

"All right, pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers in this racket. I myself, I jerk off at least... twice a day."
    -Mark Hanna

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea there is another topic like this going around, you could try reading that one for some useful info and a useful link. I know most people aren't going to repost the same stuff, that's why you're getting the annoyed replies. But yea, I always thought low bar was more optimal for a powerlifter to lift maximal weight, whether squat wide or close stance. I always thought only olympic lifters and bodybuilders squatted high bar. But like people have mentioned, there are guys who squat big time numbers whether high or low. And for most of us average lifters who will never be setting a world record squat, its not going to make a big difference. What's going to make the difference is consistency to get use to whatever form you use and picking a good program.

So you might just want to stick with high bar since that's what you are use to.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i thought high and low bar was to accomade different leg;torso ratios n stuff.
    Im a nutbag and have a screw loose but im sstill not as bad as you

Originally Posted by VanKid View Post
    i thought high and low bar was to accomade different leg;torso ratios n stuff.
    ya same

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its like sumo vs conventional deadlift, both work better for different people. If you have been stuck at the same weight with a high bar position for a while maybe try training the low bar and see if it catches up/surpasses. If not I would stick with your more comfortable position. I personally squat more with a low bar position but that doesn't mean I couldn't train the high bar and eventually squat more then I do low bar.

Just pick one and get good at it.