Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'7", 155 lbs
    xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit xagent's BodySpace

Unhappy Tore my meniscus, getting knee surgery... what to expect after in terms of lifting?

Tore my meniscus a month ago. I had a locked knee, meaning my leg wouldn't straighten completely, the joint just felt stiff overall, and it wouldn't bend back all the way (to touch my ass). Oddly, no pain, esp when bent, so running and climbing stairs was easy while walking was the most awkward.

Turns out I have a "bucket handle" tear in my medial meniscus, and it is flapped over itself into the joint space. So, I'm getting surgery next week. They said they think it is repairable and are going to try to repair it. Which means crutches for 6 weeks, 3-4 months before returning to normal sport activity (which doc described as running, hiking, biking...).

So my questions are:

1. If they repair it, will I ever be able to squat, deadlift, clean, run, or play high intensity sports like snowboarding or basketball again? Are meniscus repairs more vulnerable to being retorn, even after waiting a couple of months for it to completely heal?

2. If they find they can't repair it during surgery, they'll have to do a partial meniscectomy. Which means no part of my medial meniscus and arthritis later in life. But will this limit my ability bear heavy weights on my knee or do anything high impact? Can you bear couple hundred pounds of weight on a bone-on-bone knee that lacks part of a meniscus?

3. Has anyone ever had meniscus surgery? Was it a repair or partial removal? What was post-surgery pain like? I have no pre-surgery pain as described. What was recovery like before walking normally? Before returning to sports and lifting?

abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) abdus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit abdus's BodySpace
    Damn man, I have the exact same problem i.e a torn meniscus. I have a partial tear and my surgeon told me that after my surgery, I won't be able to have full strength in/on that knee since mine cannot be repaired. Torn bit has to be removed. He also said that if it was a bucket handle type one, it would have healed completely and after full recovery, it would have been as before i.e full strength.

So I guess yours will recover completely and you will be able to continue as usual.

They also saw MCL ligament damage when I did my scan. So atm, I am having to repair my ligament first and then after that, it will be surgery on the meniscus.

I already had a minor surgery to remove my prepatellar bursa last year (same knee)I think it was a side effect of my meniscus and inflammation in my whole knee. The bursitis surgery was a very minor one compared to the meniscus one and it was quite painful post-surgery. Not scaring you but I would suggest you look forward to some pain. lol

All the best mate. Let me know how it goes. Send me a PM when you're done.
    Last edited by abdus; 04-22-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Stats: 5'7", 155 lbs
    xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000) xagent is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit xagent's BodySpace
    bucket handle tears are usually long, and get trapped in the joint space, so from everything i've heard and doc told me, it can't heal on its own. basically it's flipped over. A chunk of the 'C' got cut out along its shape, flipped or moved over, so now imagine a backwards 'D' shape.

That sucks, luckily I only have a problem with my meniscus.

Anyone else here have experience with torn meniscus or surgery?

BodyPoints: 2210
    ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ryansmith09 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit ryansmith09's BodySpace
    I actually got an xray done yesterday as a preliminary test for what the doctor is presuming is a torn meniscus. It seems ridiculous to me they have to do an xray, which really wont diagnose anything however is apparently required as a base test prior to getting an MRI done.

Good Luck with your surgery and recovery, brah. I was wondering the same things about expectations after recovery.