ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulders 3x per week? is this ok?

I'm really trying to build up my deltoids (something I've been lacking in)... I've been training my shoulders twice a week for the last four months, and was curious if I could bump it up to 3 times / week. What would your suggestions be if this were ok to do?... Front, mid and rear (3 different days?)...or hit all 3 parts each of the three days?

Trying to get a more symmetrical figure for my first figure comp.
    "Go big or go home"...

rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ktkoch View Post
    I'm really trying to build up my deltoids (something I've been lacking in)... I've been training my shoulders twice a week for the last four months, and was curious if I could bump it up to 3 times / week. What would your suggestions be if this were ok to do?... Front, mid and rear (3 different days?)...or hit all 3 parts each of the three days?

Trying to get a more symmetrical figure for my first figure comp.
    That seems a bit overkill. Don't forget that your shoulder muscles are still activating during other movements, e.g. when working chest.

How many exercises/sets are you doing for each shoulder workout? I work my shoulders twice a week, but only one exercise per workout and it's done using a Rest-Pause style for one giant set.
    Coached by one of the best ~ off season and contest prep!http://www.prepbyalex.com

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rcswent View Post
    That seems a bit overkill. Don't forget that your shoulder muscles are still activating during other movements, e.g. when working chest.
    ^^^Exactly. I wouldn't kill them with 3 days of direct shoulder work per week. If you're doing any chest lifts on an incline you're hitting them, and on back day you're hitting your rear delts with things like rows. Face pulls are a great one to throw in on back day that hit those shoulders too. They're getting a lot of work, but no I wouldn't do actual shoulder presses 3x a week.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How many exercises/sets are you doing for each shoulder workout? I work my shoulders twice a week, but only one exercise per workout and it's done using a Rest-Pause style for one giant set.
    I am currently doing them with my chest day and my back day. I'll do my full chest or back exercises...then move on to shoulders. Usually 3-4 exercises, at 3 sets each...and around 20 reps.

I've noticed them changing and my rear delts are starting to come in... I just want them so bad...i don't want to get to show day, and have my shoulders under sized. I'm 18 weeks out right now. So, still plenty of time.
    "Go big or go home"...

TI work my shoulders twice a week, but only one exercise per workout and it's done using a Rest-Pause style for one giant set.
    I like the idea of one giant set... totally burning them out and getting a ton of blood flow going.
    "Go big or go home"...

Toymachine2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    3 times a week is definitely overkill! Since doing chest works shoulders as well! Your muscles need time to recover and their is NO WAY your muscles can recover that fast unless taking steroids. If you are not you are actually doing more harm than good to your muscles and may in fact weaken them and loose muscle their because your not allowing them time to Recover and Grow you just keep working them down and down..

Personally I wont workout the same muscle group for 7 days. Until its 100% recovered otherwise you will either see results very very very slowly.. or not see them at all if you dont give your muscle the proper time to recover and grow.

For example Ill do shoulders really hard on a Thursday.. and may not do them again till next Thursday! That way they recovered and grew and then I broke them down all over again!

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bad idea, IMO.
    Move more weight on compounds, and your shoulders eventually will get bigger.
    And 20 reps all the time is not good, you are not building up strength which is conducive to growth. Work in 5-15 reps range.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Agreed with everyone else.

You're not going to build anything during contest prep. The focus is to retain the muscle you have now and lose body fat. Building and bringing up lagging body parts, etc...is done in the off season.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Agreed with everyone else.

You're not going to build anything during contest prep. The focus is to retain the muscle you have now and lose body fat. Building and bringing up lagging body parts, etc...is done in the off season.
    My bad, I did not even realize she was dieting.
    OP, absolutely what Kim said. Muscles are built while bulking, when cutting the focus is on retaining whatever you have.

hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hurricane211 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    agree with all the ladies above^ they know what there talking about
    [100K 2012 Transformation Challenge Participant]

Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    My bad, I did not even realize she was dieting.
    OP, absolutely what Kim said. Muscles are built while bulking, when cutting the focus is on retaining whatever you have.
    I haven't started dieting quite yet...just eating clean foods, and a lot of them. My BF has gone down 4% since Jan 1, but weight around the same... Hopefully I can continue that until I start cutting calories.

Thanks for all the help Gals... My gut told me NO on the 3x per week, but just thought I'd check in. My current schedule is below.

Sat - Legs
    Sun - Back Shoulders
    Monday - Arms
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Rest
    "Go big or go home"...

I haven't started dieting quite yet...just eating clean foods, and a lot of them. My BF has gone down 4% since Jan 1, but weight around the same... Hopefully I can continue that until I start cutting calories.
    Sorry, not meaning to preach, but there are a few things that do not really make sense to me.

Clean foods, lots of them - do you track your calories/macros at all?
    How could you body fat go down 4% and weight stay the same, doesn't sound realistic. What method do you use to track bodyfat?

Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Sorry, not meaning to preach, but there are a few things that do not really make sense to me.

Clean foods, lots of them - do you track your calories/macros at all?
    How could you body fat go down 4% and weight stay the same, doesn't sound realistic. What method do you use to track bodyfat?
    I just looked at my progress... it went down from 21% in Jan. to 19% in April... I was 23% back in 2009. (For some reason the 23% stuck in my mind). So, yes...I was off. The 21% to 19% drop...I did stay the same weight...I'm using the caliper method (with a certified trainer...she's done my BF% for years....) I've stayed around 140-143 depending on the day...dropped to 136 briefly... My lean mass has gone up from 109lbs in Jan to 114lbs a couple weeks ago...

I'm tracking cals, eating around 1800 cals / day... 40 40 20 approx. Some days I'm not exactly clean, and cals can reach above 2,000... not worried too too much until I start dieting. I guess I sound like I'm contradicting myself a bit huh?.. I appreciate the advice

I'm going to start cutting around 16 weeks out, and then 12 weeks out I'll be very strict and assess with my trainer weekly.

Current Goal Diet =
    M1 - egg whites and oatmeal
    M2 - 4-6 oz protein, 1/2 C b rice and 1 C broccoli
    M3 - 1/2 oatmeal, 6oz almond milk, and 1 scoop whey
    M4 - same as meal 2 (approx)
    M5 - same as meal 3
    M6 - same as meal 2 (approx)
    "Go big or go home"...

rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just looked at my progress... it went down from 21% in Jan. to 19% in April... I was 23% back in 2009. (For some reason the 23% stuck in my mind). So, yes...I was off. The 21% to 19% drop...I did stay the same weight...I'm using the caliper method (with a certified trainer...she's done my BF% for years....) I've stayed around 140-143 depending on the day...dropped to 136 briefly... My lean mass has gone up from 109lbs in Jan to 114lbs a couple weeks ago...

I'm tracking cals, eating around 1800 cals / day... 40 40 20 approx. Some days I'm not exactly clean, and cals can reach above 2,000... not worried too too much until I start dieting. I guess I sound like I'm contradicting myself a bit huh?.. I appreciate the advice

I'm going to start cutting around 16 weeks out, and then 12 weeks out I'll be very strict and assess with my trainer weekly.

Current Goal Diet =
    M1 - egg whites and oatmeal
    M2 - 4-6 oz protein, 1/2 C b rice and 1 C broccoli
    M3 - 1/2 oatmeal, 6oz almond milk, and 1 scoop whey
    M4 - same as meal 2 (approx)
    M5 - same as meal 3
    M6 - same as meal 2 (approx)
    I would keep your diet strict 16+ weeks out. You might have more weight to lose than you think. I don't know many girls that can get away with dieting for only 12 weeks - if they can, they've stayed very conditioned in the off season.
    Coached by one of the best ~ off season and contest prep!http://www.prepbyalex.com

I would keep your diet strict 16+ weeks out. You might have more weight to lose than you think. I don't know many girls that can get away with dieting for only 12 weeks - if they can, they've stayed very conditioned in the off season.
    Good advice. My goal is about 20lbs to lose, and 8-9% more BF to lose.
    "Go big or go home"...

OP, I looked at your progress pictures, and I have one thing to say.
    You legs overpower your upper body, it's a common thing for women, I was like that too until I built up shoulders and back. After you do this competition, do a serious bulk to gain mass in your upper body and, if needed, bring up your legs too.
    Good luck.

bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've had great luck doing one day of compound exercises w/upper body and one day shoulder isolation. I think it was increasing weight rather than number of days that has really made them pop...and it was the compound movements that gave me the strength to lift heavier on my isolation days..

btw..looked at your progress pics and your legs look really strong..
    Last edited by bosgirlin09; 04-20-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add

Originally Posted by bosgirlin09 View Post
    I've had great luck doing one day of compound exercises w/upper body and one day shoulder isolation. I think it was increasing weight rather than number of days that has really made them pop...and it was the compound movements that gave me the strength to lift heavier on my isolation days..

btw..looked at your progress pics and your legs look really strong..
    Thanks everyone that commented. Not sure how you Gals put up with us Newbies ;-)...

I'm really trying to bring up my upper... and yes, legs are strong, always have been, just wish I was a little more symmetrical at this point. Back and shoulders are my main focus right now.

Thanks again all...
    "Go big or go home"...

Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    ^^^Exactly. I wouldn't kill them with 3 days of direct shoulder work per week. If you're doing any chest lifts on an incline you're hitting them, and on back day you're hitting your rear delts with things like rows. Face pulls are a great one to throw in on back day that hit those shoulders too. They're getting a lot of work, but no I wouldn't do actual shoulder presses 3x a week.
    I do shoulders 3x per week. on my chest day, after im done with chest, I do couple of side and rear delts(not heavy), after 48 hours I do shoulders again but not front delts, and after 48 hours I do full shoulders. would that be fine? my side and rear delts are lacking compare to front delts

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mark2454 View Post
    I do shoulders 3x per week. on my chest day, after im done with chest, I do couple of side and rear delts(not heavy), after 48 hours I do shoulders again but not front delts, and after 48 hours I do full shoulders. would that be fine? my side and rear delts are lacking compare to front delts
    Wow. Thanks. That's some really profound advice from a dude with 3 whole posts in the ladies forum bumping a 4 yr old thread.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mark2454 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Wow. Thanks. That's some really profound advice from a dude with 3 whole posts in the ladies forum bumping a 4 yr old thread.
    well, I tired it in men forum but bunch of fat people try to giving me advice lol. besides that, I didnt lookup the dates lol I just wanted to know what other people think. also, I don't usually use this site so...