JCruzUSAF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Insanity&P90x (Cardio) + Power/Muscle/Burn (Weights)

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and just got my profile updated! I take my fitness and overall lifestyle very seriously. A little about myself and why I take my health & fitness so seriously. I currently am enlisted in the United States Air Force and will be shipping out to BMT 14 June 2011. My AFSC is 3P031 Security Forces. I've always taken care of my body and treat it like a shrine. I've completed the entire P90x Workout Program (Doubles) 2 times and the Insanity workout program 2 times as well. In the past I was all about cardio to prep myself for the military. Now my training focuses on both aspects. I've came across an article called "Power, Muscle, Burn" and was hooked when I found it. Its the exact program I thought was perfect for maintaining cardio and building muscle at the same time. However I have modified it a bit to fit my overall schedule & fitness. But here is the original workout plan. If you'd like to see what exercises I do per workout go on my BodySpace profile to view my detailed workouts I wrote out in the "Workout Tracker". I also am using the "Carb Cycling" method for my dieting.
    Original Workout Program- "Power Muscle Burn"

Power Muscle Burn 5 Day Powerbuilding Split

Workout Summary:

Training Level: Intermediate
    Main Goal: Build Muscle
    Days Per Week: 5
    Workout Type: Split
    Designed By:Steve Shaw
    User Rating:
    Poor
    Okay
    Good
    Great
    Awesome
    Average: 4.7 (290 votes)

NoxPUMP

Maximize Muscular Performance During Intense Training!

Learn More »

Description of Workout:

For more information on the Power, Muscle and Burn training system, check out the 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Workout Split.

This 5 day split is for intermediate lifters who are hungry for rapid size and strength gains. You will notice that deadlift is separated from the back workout day, and grouped with hamstring training. This is a very effective approach, and will allow you to not only blast your back and hamstrings, but also increase your deadlift max. Also, by grouping deadlifts with Romanian deadlifts, you will be hitting your lower back one less training day per week, which is always a good thing.

The Power Muscle Burn System

My Power Muscle Burn training system will help you build muscle and strength by focusing on three different training approaches, all used in the same workout. You will be performing the following types of sets for each muscle group:

Power. You will perform power sets to lead off the workout. Power sets are performed in the 3 to 5 rep range. Use the same weight for each of the sets. When you can perform 5 reps for all power sets, move up in weight. Major muscle groups will perform 2-4 power sets per workout, and minor muscle groups will perform 2 power sets per workout. Please note that for some minor muscle groups, power sets do not make sense, or they are not realistic. For example, it is difficult to perform extremely heavy resistance abdominal sets.
    Muscle. Muscle sets are performed in the 6 to 12 rep range. Use the same weight for each of the sets. When you hit the upper rep limit of 12 for all muscle sets, move up in weight. Major muscle groups will perform 4-6 total muscle sets in each workout, using 2 different exercises. Minor muscle groups will perform 2-4 total muscle sets in each workout, using 1 to 2 exercises. You can also perform a single exercise for 3 sets.
    Burn. You will perform 1-2 burn sets for each muscle group - generally using isolation movements. Pick a weight that allows you to hit 15 to 20 reps, and then perform 40 total reps. How? Do as many reps as possible, then take a slight rest and perform more reps. Rest only long enough to regain the energy and willpower to perform 1 to 3 more reps. Keep pushing yourself through the pain until you hit 40 total reps. When you can hit 25+ reps from the start without stopping, add weight. Major muscle groups will utilize 1-2 burn sets, minor muscle groups will use 1-2 burn sets.
    Power Muscle Burn Notes

Failure - I do not recommend training to failure. Try to perform each set until you feel like you may fail on the next rep, then stop. It's ok if you occasionally fail on a set, but do not purposely try to train to failure on every set.
    Progression - You must have the goal of progressing on every set of every workout. Sets performed with a half-hearted effort are wasted. If you lack energy or are pressed for time, it's better to perform fewer quality sets then it is to waste sets.
    Small Tweaks - What if I don't like training in the 6 to 12 rep range, and want to train in the 6 to 10 rep range? Then train in the 6 to 10 rep range. What if I don't like training in the 3 to 5 rep range? Then train in the 4 to 6 rep range. 40 burn reps are too difficult!? Then aim for 30 burn reps. Note: small tweaks are ok, as long as you are using the core mechanisms of this program. Don't obsess about the details - obsess about moving weight and getting bigger!
    Alternating Exercises - It is not a bad idea to alternate exercises every other week. You can't possibly fit every exercise into every workout. For example: for muscle sets you could hit dumbbell bench presses one week and chest dips the next week.
    Total Sets - It is better to start with the minimal amount of sets, and build in to this routine by adding sets if you find you need more work.
    Calves - Please note that there are no power sets for calves. I am not convinced that calves respond effectively to lower rep training.
    Quads - If you love pain, you can do a single 20 rep set of squats for your quad burn work.

The 5 Day Power Muscle Burn Powerbuilding split:

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
    Day 2 - Back and Traps
    Day 3 - Quads and Calves
    Day 4 - OFF
    Day 5 - Shoulders and Biceps
    Day 6 - Deadlift and Hamstrings
    Day 7 - OFF
    Note: This is a sample template. Feel free to "swap" in any appropriate (and favorite) exercises.

Chest and Triceps
    Chest
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Bench Press - Power 2-4 3 to 5
    Incline Bench Press - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Dumbbell Bench Press - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Dumbbell Flys - Burn 1 40
    Triceps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Closegrip Bench Press - Power 2 3 to 5
    Seated French Press - Muscle 2 6 to 12
    Cable Tricep Extension - Burn 1 40
    Back and Traps
    Back
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Barbell Rows - Power 2-4 3 to 5
    Dumbbell Rows - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Lat Pull Down - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Seated Cable Row - Burn 1 40
    Traps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Power Barbell Shrugs - Power 2 3 to 5
    Dumbbell Shrugs - Muscle 2 6 to 12
    Power Barbell Shrugs - Burn 1 40
    Quads and Calves
    Quads
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squat - Power 2-4 3 to 5
    Leg Press - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Front Squat - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Leg Press - Burn 1 40
    Calves
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Seated Calf Raise - Muscle 2 10 to 15
    45 Degree Calf Raise - Burn 2 40
    Shoulders and Biceps
    Shoulders
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Seated Barbell Press - Power 2-4 3 to 5
    Seated Arnold Press - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Barbell Front Raise - Muscle 2 6 to 12
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise - Burn 1 40
    Biceps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Pinwheel Curls - Power 2 3 to 5
    Standing Barbell Curl - Muscle 2-3 6 to 12
    Cable Preacher Curl - Burn 1-2 40
    Deadlift and Hamstrings
    Deadlift and Hamstrings
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Deadlift - Power 2-4 3 to 5
    Romanian Deadlift - Muscle 3-4 6 to 12
    Leg Curl - Muscle 3-4 6 to 12
    Leg Curl - Burn 1 40

MY Modified Program
    Sunday-
    AM-P90x Yoga X (90:00)
    PM-Rest
    Monday
    AM-(Insanity) Plyometric Cardio Circuit (41:47) + P90x Abs (20:00)
    PM-(Weights) Biceps,Quads,Back,Abs
    Tuesday
    AM-(Insanity) Max Recovery (47:16)
    PM-(Weights) Chest,Triceps,Forearm
    Wednesday
    AM-(Insanity) Cardio Power & Resistance (39:19) + P90x Abs (20:00)
    PM-(Weights) Shoulders,Traps,Abs
    Thursday
    AM-(Insanity) Max Recovery (47:16)
    PM-(Weights) Biceps,Hamstrings,Back
    Friday
    AM-(Insanity) Pure Cardio (38:18) + P90x Abs (20:00)
    PM-(Air Force P.T.) Cardio,Calisthenics,Abs
    Saturday
    AM-(Insanity) Max Cardio Conditioning (47:40)
    PM-(Weights) Chest,Triceps,Forearm
    A1C CRUZ, JONATHAN D.
    UNITED STATES AIR FORCE