ShaggyTom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 day split and cutting?

I was wanting to revamp my workout a bit. After posting my workout and not getting many replies, I decided that I might want to change it up a bit. I currently train 5-6 days a week and am trying to get down to 200 by the end of the year. I've already dropped 20+ lbs.(267 to 244) but I've been majorly slacking on the cardio side. It is almost impossible for me to do cardio after an intense workout. I was thinking maybe something like this:

Day 1-Weights
    Day 2-HIIT
    Day 3-Weights
    Day 4-HIIT
    Day 5-Weights
    Day 6-HIIT
    Day 7-Rest!!

I want to get the HIIT in there, but after my workouts its a no go. I tried to do HIIT in the morning and lift in the afternoon, but my schedule is hectic and I find myself totally drained to hell the day after. Would switching to a 3-day split help me with my cutting? The nutrition side is totally dialed in. I eat nothing but chicken breast, tuna, green veggies, brown rice, oats, and some milk with my protein shake before bed for casein. I only drink water (1-1.5 gallons a day) and some green tea. Any help is appreciated.

T

mosskeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't see any problem with doing a three day split while cutting, but if you like your current split, have you ever thought of maybe trying some medium intensity cardio in the morning or after your workout? It might be a good change of pace for you and leave you a little more well rested.

I'm looking at maybe doing this routine for a split. Lemme know if you guys think this will be good for cutting. Like I said before my diet is spot on.

Tuesday
    Bench Press-10reps, 2 sets
    Close Grip Bench Press-10 reps, 2 sets
    Incline Bench Press-10x2
    Dumbell Flys-8x2
    Skull Crushers-8x2
    Tricep Ext.-10x2
    Front DB Raise-15x2
    Side DB Raise-15x2
    Abs

Wednesday
    20 min. HIIT

Thursday
    Barbell Curls-10x3
    Concentration Curls-10x2
    Reverse Curls-10x2
    Lat Pulls-10x2
    Bent-Over Rows-10x2
    Wrist Curls-10x2
    Barbell Shrugs-10x2
    Calf Raises-10x2
    Abs

Friday
    20 min. HIIT

Saturday
    Squats-10x3
    Deadlifts-10x2
    Leg Press-10x3
    Leg Extensions-10x2
    Calf Press-10x3
    Lunges-10x2
    Farmers Walk-2 sets
    Abs

Saturday
    20 min. HIIT

Sunday
    Rest!!!!

jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShaggyTom
    I'm looking at maybe doing this routine for a split. Lemme know if you guys think this will be good for cutting. Like I said before my diet is spot on.

Tuesday
    Bench Press-10reps, 2 sets I'D GO A LITTLE HEAVIER, TRY 8 REPS OR BELOW, BUT YOU CAN CHANGE IT UP. I'D ADD A SET TO THIS OR INCLINE.

Incline Bench Press-10x2 SAME AS BP

Dumbell Flys-8x2 DON'T NEED THESE, MORE OF A SHAPING MOVEMENT

Close Grip Bench Press-10 reps, 2 sets MOVED THIS BECAUSE IT CONCENTRATES MORE ON TRICEPS WHICH SHOULD BE SECONDARY TO CHEST (ASSUMING IT IS A CLOSE CLOSE GRIP)

Skull Crushers-8x2
    Tricep Ext.-10x2

Front DB Raise-15x2 THESE ARE NOT NEED IF YOU DO INCLINE PRESSES

Side DB Raise-15x2 SHOULDER WORKOUT NEEDs WORK AND I WOULD MOVE SHOULDERS TO ANOTHER DAY OTHER THAN CHEST.
    Abs

Wednesday
    20 min. HIIT

Thursday
    Bent-Over Rows-10x2 COMPOUND MOVEMENTS BEFORE ISOLATION
    Lat Pulls-10x2
    Barbell Shrugs-10x2 DONT WANT TO DO THESE AFTER FOREARMS, MIGHT DROP SOMETHING

Barbell Curls-10x3
    Concentration Curls-10x2
    Reverse Curls-10x2
    Wrist Curls-10x2

Calf Raises-10x2 YOU JUST NEED TO DO THESE ON LEG DAY
    Abs

Friday
    20 min. HIIT

Saturday
    Squats-10x3
    Deadlifts-10x2 ALRIGHT MY FAVORITE
    Leg Press-10x3
    Leg Extensions-10x2
    Calf Press-10x3
    Lunges-10x2
    Farmers Walk-2 sets
    Abs

IF YOUR GOING TO HAVE A 3 DAY SPLIT I'D WORK SHOULDERS IN WITH LEGS.
    SOMETHING LIKE:
    MILITARY PRESSES
    THEN SIDE RAISES

Saturday
    20 min. HIIT

Sunday
    Rest!!!!
    My suggestions are in caps. Good luck.

jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jared37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, and as far as intensity, it is sometimes hard running a calorie deficit and getting in intense workouts. However, it is when you are cutting you want to get the most out of your workouts so I would try to make them as intense as possible.

My workouts are rather intense right now. I actually find that they can be so intense that cardio is hard to do with my workouts. I'm not overtraining, its just that I cant get any decent cardio in. I would like to do cardio separately, but its just not feasible. I wake up at 1am to be to work at 2 am. Work is until 12pm sometimes up until 1pm. I go to the gym at around 2pm and don't get home until 330pm. That leaves me with my PWO shake at 330ish and my last meal at 500pm. I try and get to bed by 6pm so I can get atleast 7hrs sleep. This is my routine 5 days a week. That's why I'm considering a 3-day split with weights, cardio, weights, cardio and so on.

Does anyone have any comments on my new workout plan?

MichaelBoyd1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is exactly the sort of plan im looking at doing. Been dieting/adjsuting the workout for 3 weeks now before I really get into but one quesiton, for your HIIT I've seen some people saying HIIT cardio like wind sprints, hills, intervals etc, and some people mention bodyweight HIIT such as pushups, situps, bodyweight squat jumps etc etc. Does anyone think the second form, i.e. bodyweight resistance HIIT may be a little bit leaning towards overtraining?