disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Snatching with Straps

So I'm doing a lot of work from the hang and 3-position snatching. I'd like to use straps, but I'm not sure which ones are safe to snatch with so that I can bail behind if I miss. My gym has these available to rent: http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-2050.../dp/B001SG5LNG.

I used them a few times, but never had to miss behind with them. If these aren't right, what kind should I use as far as materials/length? Do I have any other options besides ordering the ironmind/pendlay ones? The bars at my gym are quite old and have literally no knurling on the ends, which is part of the reason I'd like to start snatching with straps.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    tried using those harbringer and they hurt bad when you catch with them-also more dangerous to bail out-

I use the short and easy straps from ironmind, but you could get that same material from like a rock climbing store pretty sure.

pendllay ones are the easiest and most comfortable to use but they ripped after a few months of training with them.

Also every serious lifter uses straps, helps a lot to add more volume and push heavy weights. Just if you plan to compete good idea to get used to the hook grip. Even if bar has bad kurling you could still grip decent weight with hook grip and tape on thumb.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber

disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) disgorge89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    tried using those harbringer and they hurt bad when you catch with them-also more dangerous to bail out-

I use the short and easy straps from ironmind, but you could get that same material from like a rock climbing store pretty sure.

pendllay ones are the easiest and most comfortable to use but they ripped after a few months of training with them.

Also every serious lifter uses straps, helps a lot to add more volume and push heavy weights. Just if you plan to compete good idea to get used to the hook grip. Even if bar has bad kurling you could still grip decent weight with hook grip and tape on thumb.
    It didn't hurt catching too badly, but I'm going to play it safe and just hook everything and re-hook between reps until I get my ironmind strapz. You said it helps adding volume and pushing heavy weights, and I notice that a lot of pat mendes' max snatch lifts in the gym are done with straps. Do they add significant poundages acutely to one's snatch in the same manner they do for a deadlift?

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    they help a lot, mendes isn't the only one who uses straps every top oly lifter uses straps in training. I can do more weight with straps then without but I think its a mental thing in that I don't think about the grip at all and generally have better technique with straps.
    updated 2011
    bw-Urijah Faber

So I finally ordered the ironmind "short and sweet" lifting straps: http://ironmind-store.com/Short-Swee...ductinfo/1234/

They haven't arrived yet, but I notice the website says that they have no loop. Does it just come as an 18inch piece of blue seatbelt material? how do I put them on and tighten them without a loop?

Originally Posted by disgorge89 View Post
    So I finally ordered the ironmind "short and sweet" lifting straps: http://ironmind-store.com/Short-Swee...ductinfo/1234/

They haven't arrived yet, but I notice the website says that they have no loop. Does it just come as an 18inch piece of blue seatbelt material? how do I put them on and tighten them without a loop?

you could have got the one with the loop from the ironmind site also, sure they would let you trade it in.
    updated 2011
    bw-Urijah Faber

Originally Posted by someonefat View Post

you could have got the one with the loop from the ironmind site also, sure they would let you trade it in.
    That pretty much explains it well. I can always sew in a loop if it really becomes problematic. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For what it's worth my coach never lets us do full snatch with straps. Only time straps are allowed are pulls, lifts from the hang, and power.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    For what it's worth my coach never lets us do full snatch with straps. Only time straps are allowed are pulls, lifts from the hang, and power.
    I'm doing a lot of work from the hang with no chalk and bars with no knurling (and no bumpers lol). It sucks having to rehook in those conditions.

nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    That's a good practice. I try and do the same thing. I try and restrict straps for hang lifts, RDLs, etc. However, sometimes my hands are literally falling apart and I have to use the straps. It's not a grip strength issue but rather a skin issue.

Originally Posted by disgorge89 View Post
    That pretty much explains it well. I can always sew in a loop if it really becomes problematic. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.
    yeah they are strong straps just take a little more work to put on. Most oly lifters around the world use a similar no loop strap since its easier to bail out on. They are the strongest straps I've used.

misha using similar looking strap no loop

armana using similar looking strap no loop little longer

-in commercial gyms like your training at I bring it down like he did for the first rep, takes a little work but you shouldn't hurt yourself if you bring it down correctly-

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1454..._training.html -dimas training snatches with no loop strap shorter one like the ironmind one- He doesn't use it for cleans though, generally little more dangerous even without loop to use strap for cleans but video of bulgarians doing it still.

I personally like to do more volume with snatches so use straps a lot for them, my grip is generally not an issue for missing the lift so like to work in more reps without beating my hands up too much. If plan to compete its good idea to work mostly without them though probably.
    updated 2011
    bw-Urijah Faber

Yeah after seeing the zach krych video I have vowed never to use straps on cleans. I can always do cleans from the hang by just using the safety bars in the rack so it's like lifting from the blocks and grip/sweaty hands is no longer an issue. Can't do that with snatches so the grip wears out.

It's a university gym, so they are marginally more facist and anti-serious lifting than the local LA fitness.