Scherzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Possible to gain muscle while losing fat?

I'm a skinny guy, but because of lots of drinking, I have a fat tummy. My mistake and trust me, I'm never going to do it again.

I'm trying to gain muscle while losing weight, because experts say it is possible. Muscle gain to solve my skinny problem, fat loss to solve my fat problem.

Strength training to gain muscle, cardio to lose fat.

Sure, I can have a good, high protein diet, do all my strength training and do all my cardio. However, I see a problem with this idea. If cardio burns fat, then it burns calories as well, am I right? If cardio burns calories, then cardio will prevent me from gaining muscle because I need those calories to gain muscle.

Therefore, no cardio = gain weight, cardio = lose weight. I cannot do both at the same time. If this is true, then how can I gain muscle while losing fat?

IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000) IDKanything is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Scherzi View Post
    I'm a skinny guy, but because of lots of drinking, I have a fat tummy. My mistake and trust me, I'm never going to do it again.

I'm trying to gain muscle while losing weight, because experts say it is possible. Muscle gain to solve my skinny problem, fat loss to solve my fat problem.

Strength training to gain muscle, cardio to lose fat.

Sure, I can have a good, high protein diet, do all my strength training and do all my cardio. However, I see a problem with this idea. If cardio burns fat, then it burns calories as well, am I right? If cardio burns calories, then cardio will prevent me from gaining muscle because I need those calories to gain muscle.

Therefore, no cardio = gain weight, cardio = lose weight. I cannot do both at the same time. If this is true, then how can I gain muscle while losing fat?
    simple. you cannot. period. you might think you can because of noob gains but thats only in the beginning...but no.

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, you can put on muscle while losing fat, but the amount of muscle you will gain while being in a calorie defect compared to a surplus is drastically reduced.

Basically, unless you ride bicycles, if you're trying to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, then you're stupid. Focus on one or the other, not both at the same time.
    Last edited by peanut-butter; 04-14-2011 at 03:10 AM.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by peanut-butter View Post
    Basically, unless you ride bicycles
    Cardio will do nothing for OP.

CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    its not that cardio = weight loss, its that calories deficit = weight loss.

u can be on a surplus and deficit at the same time. Newbies on the other hand are able to gain muscle and lose fat.