karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Whey vs Serious Mass vs Pro Complex

Brothers, hear me out! I'm off to a bulk for the next couple of months and I've thought of taking mass gainer products (since they are very economical when it comes to price/calorie compared to real food PLUS they are easily accessible). Off to the point, the serving sizes for the two mass gainers I am currently considering (Serious Mass & Pro Complex both by ON) are pretty bizarre and so I decided to do a little math and see what I am really getting with my money.

OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% WHEY GOLD STANDARD

OPTIMUM NUTRITION SERIOUS MASS

OPTIMUM NUTRITION PRO COMPLEX GAINER

The question is: Which supplement (among the 3) am I best off with in terms of macros, price, etc.?

*Please don't say I should stick to whole foods. If I wanted to, I wouldn't have made this post.
    *Please don't say something along the lines of: "The purpose of mass gainer products is to consume the entire serving." This is why I did the math. It's to quantify the macros of the different protein powders and set them in proportion to see which of the 3 I'm best off with.

karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50) karnesyus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump

XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pro Complex Gainer is way too expensive, I would chosen Serious Mass (I'm buying it on Friday) and I think you can mix the Whey Gold Standard with Serious Mass. That's what I'm going to do, I don't think Serious Mass protein is as good as when you drink pure Whey.

Originally Posted by XtremeBoss View Post
    Pro Complex Gainer is way too expensive, I would chosen Serious Mass (I'm buying it on Friday) and I think you can mix the Whey Gold Standard with Serious Mass. That's what I'm going to do, I don't think Serious Mass protein is as good as when you drink pure Whey.
    Won't buying two types of protein powder be counterproductive to the whole point of saving money? Besides if you actually did take a look at the chart, Whey Gold Standard is the most expensive among the three (based on 30g scoops).

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you are not really comparing "like" products man..kinda like comparing apples to oranges here.
    i would take price out of the equation, and focus on macros and caloric values to see what best fits your overall goals/dietary intake.

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by karnesyus View Post
    Won't buying two types of protein powder be counterproductive to the whole point of saving money?
    no, not really.
    if you mix & match, then you are simply extending the duration that 2 different products will last you.

again, you trying to pricepoint everything is skewing your vision.

Originally Posted by snagency View Post
    no, not really.
    if you mix & match, then you are simply extending the duration that 2 different products will last you.

again, you trying to pricepoint everything is skewing your vision.
    I apologize for overlooking that fact.

Personally, which would you prefer? And why?

XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10) XtremeBoss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can't rely on Serious Mass's protein, I think Whey is a basic thing you need to have when lifting. But if you only want one choose Serious Mass, consume one bag then switch over to protein.
    Last edited by XtremeBoss; 04-13-2011 at 07:21 AM.

I apologize for overlooking that fact.

Personally, which would you prefer? And why?
    hands down, i prefer a quality protein powder that i can add my own addtl cals to, like oats or natty PB, or EVCO or EVOO..

not too many gainer-type products contain ingredients that i want to put in my body, most notably maltodextrin.

hands down, i prefer a quality protein powder that i can add my own addtl cals to, like oats or natty PB, or EVCO or EVOO..

not too many gainer-type products contain ingredients that i want to put in my body, most notably maltodextrin.
    What's wrong with maltodextrin? Isn't it a carb nonetheless? Or are you saying that there is something wrong with its quality as a carb or some sort?

And please care to inform me on how you take in your EVCO and EVOO? Would you deliberately take a shot of them? I know that may sound stupid but I've seen people mention doing so a couple of times in this forum.

What's wrong with maltodextrin? Isn't it a carb nonetheless? Or are you saying that there is something wrong with its quality as a carb or some sort?
    there are carbs (quality, nutritional in value); and then there are carbs (sugar, hi-glycemic, no nutritive value -- i.e empty carbs).
    i'm particular about my source of carbs.
    And please care to inform me on how you take in your EVCO and EVOO? Would you deliberately take a shot of them? I know that may sound stupid but I've seen people mention doing so a couple of times in this forum.
    can put it right in your shake man..tastes great, adds texture and thickens consistency as well.

there are carbs (quality, nutritional in value); and then there are carbs (sugar, hi-glycemic, no nutritive value -- i.e empty carbs).
    i'm particular about my source of carbs.
    Thanks for your suggestion!

With regards to carbs, don't all carbs (simple or not) end up being broken down by the body into its simplest form to be utilized by the body as glucose?

And with regards to GI, isn't there an overlap in nutrient absorption? As such, GI is practically irrelevant?

there are certainly those that believe what you state above..
    i am not one of them.
    micronutrients matter just as much as macronutrients. simplest answer i can give you, without turning this into a philosophical debate.