xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

What bicep routine has worked for you?

I am asking this question because my arms are lagging, especially my biceps, and I want to do something about it. My bicep workout is fairly simple:

3 sets x 8 reps - Dumbbell Curl
    3 sets x 8 reps - Hammer Curl
    3 sets x 6 reps - EZ Curl

I used to do chinups instead of the EZ curl, but since I workout my biceps at the end of my workout I'm usually too tired to make 2 decent sets of chinups.

Can anyone help me out?

PS: I used to do 6 sets only before (the more is less mentality) but that didn't work for me so I tried adding 3 more sets. Essentially though, they're very similar exercises. I workout at home and can't do preacher curls. I would definitely try these if I went to the gym. Unless if I'm able to preacher curl in my own squat rack?

Thank you.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm the same, but im going off my latest theory that your arms will only get as wide as your shoulders

If you look at everyone with big arms, their shoulders basically match in width

hit dem shoulders

Registered User MuscleBoundMisc's Avatar
    MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    I am asking this question because my arms are lagging, especially my biceps, and I want to do something about it. My bicep workout is fairly simple:

3 sets x 8 reps - Dumbbell Curl
    3 sets x 8 reps - Hammer Curl
    3 sets x 6 reps - EZ Curl

I used to do chinups instead of the EZ curl, but since I workout my biceps at the end of my workout I'm usually too tired to make 2 decent sets of chinups.

Can anyone help me out?

PS: I used to do 6 sets only before (the more is less mentality) but that didn't work for me so I tried adding 3 more sets. Essentially though, they're very similar exercises. I workout at home and can't do preacher curls. I would definitely try these if I went to the gym. Unless if I'm able to preacher curl in my own squat rack?

Thank you.
    Straight bar curls are what I find to be the best bicep mass builder

boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MuscleBoundMisc View Post
    Straight bar curls are what I find to be the best bicep mass builder
    the problem is they can destroy your wrists. I used to do them with a straight bar, even with just the bar they put a lot of strain on my wrists. Agree they are an excellent mass builder if you have no problems doing them.

dumbbell curls are what did it for me mostly. Whenever i got stronger in those, my arms tended to get bigger. I've never had problems growing my arms though so i cannot give some expert advice on a bodypart that is lagging.

the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    3 sets of standing alternate curls, 3 sets of incline curls and 3 sets of preachers or cable hammer curls. Each to their own though, worked well for me but might not for others.
    EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    prrs shock workout for arms!!! torture!
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ain't nothin but a peanut Kevin204's Avatar
    Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this is my most recent bicep routine. it's the first time I have ever received muscle soreness a few days later in such a small muscle group!

3x8 incline db curls
    3x8 alternating hammer curls
    3x8 bb curls (dropset finisher)
    Dumbbell chest press all day

Ain't nothin but a peanut Kevin204's Avatar
    Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by boroboy View Post
    the problem is they can destroy your wrists. I used to do them with a straight bar, even with just the bar they put a lot of strain on my wrists. Agree they are an excellent mass builder if you have no problems doing them.

I used to think the same thing. Keep it close grip and it helps a LOT
    Dumbbell chest press all day

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am asking this question because my arms are lagging, especially my biceps, and I want to do something about it.

Can anyone help me out?
    You workout at home so you probably dont have many options available to you try ?
    how long have they been lagging... maybe its just a little bit of a plateau? some people panic or complain if no progress is made in 2-3 weeks !
    Are you getting 'good' gains everywhere else 'but' bis ? if so, id say your diet is ok... otherwise maybe look outside the gym

Id introduce variations in exercises and volume (maybe add some more in your case cuz I doubt your over training) and basically experiment until you find whats right for you. If you train bis with back, maybe switch them to bis+chest or whatever and see how that works out.. If you can get enough rest and nutrition etc maybe add a second bi + (whatever you train them with) workout into you training for a few months and see how that affects things.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by boroboy View Post

dumbbell curls are what did it for me mostly. Whenever i got stronger in those, my arms tended to get bigger. I've never had problems growing my arms though so i cannot give some expert advice on a bodypart that is lagging.
    i have had that problem when i first started, and also when coming back from a long break(which has been more often than i want to think about). usually when my wrists/forearms start to act up, i ditch the bb curls for a week or two. when i come back to them, i don't have the problem again. i think in some cases, your body just has to get used to it.
    i'm hungry

PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My bicep routine looks like this:

Do curls using 2-3 variations, whatever I feel like at the time. I'll do low, medium, or high reps for each of these depending on how I'm feeling at the time. It's a pretty scientific approach, but it works.

boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10) boricuamason is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The best bicep workout I've ever done was from an old Flex article by Lee Priest, definitely put good size on my arms:

Concentration Curls: 4 x 6-8
    Barbell Curls: 4 x 6-8
    Preacher Curls: 4 x 6-8
    Seated D-Bell Curls 4 x 6-8 superset with Chins

If you are just getting started I would cut it to 3 sets each and skip the chins until your stamina is better. Find a weight that you will get to 6-8 reps and feel it.

rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IMO what has worked best for me is doing 1-2 power movements, so a curl, barbell or dumbell, and underhand pullups/chins weighted. Go as heavy as you can with good form. It is a power movement so you want to try progress in weight with good form.

Following those 2 isolation movements like a preacher curl and concentration curls with super strict form, concentrating on contractions.
    500+

Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000) Strongbow is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do: 3x barbell curls
    3x cross body hammer curls or rope hammer curls
    3x preacher curls or concentration curls

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Newsflash...OP, your entire body is lagging. Your profile indicates that you're squatting less than 200lbs (1RM).

But to answer your question. The best bicep routine: CHEAT CURLS IN THE SQUAT RACK
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you all for your replies, I'll be taking what you said into consideration and I'll try to incorporate it into my workouts.

Originally Posted by KhoraskGTR View Post
    You workout at home so you probably dont have many options available to you try ?
    how long have they been lagging... maybe its just a little bit of a plateau? some people panic or complain if no progress is made in 2-3 weeks !
    Are you getting 'good' gains everywhere else 'but' bis ? if so, id say your diet is ok... otherwise maybe look outside the gym

Id introduce variations in exercises and volume (maybe add some more in your case cuz I doubt your over training) and basically experiment until you find whats right for you. If you train bis with back, maybe switch them to bis+chest or whatever and see how that works out.. If you can get enough rest and nutrition etc maybe add a second bi + (whatever you train them with) workout into you training for a few months and see how that affects things.
    Well I "only" have a bench, barbbells, dumbbells, weights and a squat rack (with pullup bar), so I don't have a preacher curl bench.

I started a cut 3 weeks ago, however what I said was relevant for the period during my bulk. I bulked for a year (although I began eating and working out seriously again later November '10), and whilst my arms improved (13" -> 14.25" in a year), that's not good improvement IMO. My weight went up by around 15Kg/33lbs in a year, both muscle and fat gains. My triceps grew much better, and the growth is mostly attributable to my triceps, not my biceps.

With what you said, and what the others have said, I'm thinking of changing my bicep workout to this:

DB Curl: 3 sets x 12 reps
    DB Hammer Curl: 3 sets x 10 reps
    EZ Curl/Straight bar Curls: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Concentration curl (since I can't do preacher curls): 2 sets x 6 reps
    Chinups: 2 sets to failure

In this order. Basically adding a new exercise, increasing the volume a bit (with 3 more sets), and varying the rep scheme.

One question: What is the difference between EZ curls and straight bar curls? I do EZ curls because it's easier on the wrist, but excluding this difficulty, aren't these 2 exercises basically identical? If not, what are the differences? (it doesn't matter if anyone wants to get technical! )

Thank you lads.

Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    Newsflash...OP, your entire body is lagging. Your profile indicates that you're squatting less than 200lbs (1RM).

But to answer your question. The best bicep routine: CHEAT CURLS IN THE SQUAT RACK
    I realise that I've got much more where to improve, that doesn't mean I do not feel certain parts of my body not growing at the same speed as other parts of my body. As for my squat, I've started squatting again last week after buying new plates and a 7ft barbell for my squat rack (which I made but hadn't used since July '10, as you can see in my signature - shameful, I agree). I intend to get to 220lbs in my squat in the coming months. We'll see.

bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozotheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am asking this question because my arms are lagging, especially my biceps, and I want to do something about it.

but since I workout my biceps at the end of my workout
    Do them when you're fresh and do them hard and heavy. Get an arm day in your split if you don't have one already and do biceps first.

NJBossHogg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Drop Sets

I got the best results when I started doing drop sets for my last set of each exercise. A drop set is when you do a set at the normal weight you would use, then sit it down and immediately grab a bar 10-20lbs lighter and do that to failure, then sit that down and grab a bar 10-20lbs lighter and rep til failure. Make sure you do not rest in between and you will kill your arms.

Example:

Barbell Curls: 90lbs 8 reps
    70lbs 8 reps
    50lbs 8 reps
    30lbs 8 reps

caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10) caliprav is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    standing DB curl: 3x8

chin-ups: however long it takes to do 50.

Drop sets are interesting, never tried them before.