Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight Training for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hey everyone, I already posted this in the sports section but it seems like not many people were interested in posting. Hopefully I can get a little more help here. I got one helpful comment over there but I'd still like to see a little more feedback.

So I've reached a moment of real frustration when it comes to my fitness goals. I've tried lifting weights before and I've never really went through with it. I've seen lots of improvement every time I've done it and I thought it helped my physique. Unfortunately, I never got any thrill from doing it and I found it quite boring. I've been told I'm just doing it wrong and that I didn't have my priorities straight in the gym, and that's probably true.

I'd like to get a personal trainer but I can't afford that, I also have no idea how to do many of the lifts that would help my jiu jitsu such as power cleans and any other Olympic lifts. I'm 5'10 165 pounds and I'm trying to get into lifting again for two reasons, the first is to boost my jiu jitsu game because I've found that I'm a lot weaker than many people in my weight class and I'd just like to become more athletic in general, and the second reason is the obvious, I want to get in great shape.

My workout currently looks like this (no lifting at all):
    Monday: I do Muay Thai for one hour.
    Tuesday: I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours.
    Wednesday: Muay Thai 1 hour.
    Thursday: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours
    Friday: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours
    Saturday: Muay thai for one hour followed by jiu jitsu for two.
    Sunday: I take a run for 30-40 minutes or I go indoor rock climbing.

I clearly have room to train more and I'd like to add around 3 weightlifting sessions a week to help me achieve my goals. Any proposed routines are much appreciated!

Anyway, I'd like something a little more specific like:-

Day 1 chest/back (or w/e):-
    Bench press 3x10
    Decline dumbell press 3x10
    pullups
    dips
    etc..

Some more info: I'll be doing lifting one day on and one day off and I'll try to do it the same day I would do my muay thai practice since I have a reasonable gap between my classes.

Edit:One more thing... I don't have access to tires and anything of that sort, I'll probably be doing most of my lifting routines at your typical gym. (benches/machines and anything else that usually comes with them).

This is just the combination of my posts in my other thread. Thanks in advance.

By any means necessary. riqosuave's Avatar
    riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Bodybuilding 101

Brazilian Ju Jitsu nice, i have some BJJ training under my belt as well. So I gather from your post that you want to get stronger and build muscle. Well i'm gonna give you the whole package, bodybuilding 101. It may sound like a lot but it wont be hard to get this down packed, and if you do you will reach your goals and much much more.

Since your doing martial arts which is pretty much muscular endurance/cardio training. Your gonna need to eat a WHOLE LOT. Since you are a martial arts competitor i am sure you will want to aim to gain more lean muscle, since extra fat will just slow you down when your fighting.

First step is to calculate your maintenance level, which is basically how much you eat every day that maintains your current weight, then add 500-750 calories to that, and thats what you will be eating everyday. You also should add the cardio and martial arts training you do to that, because while you are doing that you are also burning calories. The approach you are looking to take is commonly referred to as "Clean bulking" for future reference.

You must consume your body weight in grams of protein a day, almost to your body weight in grams of fat, and about 4 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. these are called your Macro Nutrients, and must be consumed everyday for ideal results.

You can find all of this here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

For the record, Common Protein foods- eggs, chicken, lean meats, peanut butter, milk, fish etc

Common Complex Carb foods- Potatoes, brown rice preferably could be whatever color though, pasta, whole wheat pasta

Next you must lift heavy, its the only way to go. 5-8 reps for strength training and 8-12 reps for gaining mass about 3-4 sets is ideal, and about 3-5 exercises per body part, find what works best for you. Since you want a mixture of both id say try to fall around the 8 rep range with your workouts, and the last rep should be really hard to get out, if you hit the 8th and last rep easily, you didn't do a good job.

Pyramiding will help shock your muscles keeping them guessing and growing. For example starting out at 12 reps to failure, then adding 5 lbs so that you can only do 10 reps to failure, then adding another 5 pounds so that its only 8 reps till failure. To further shock your muscles, you must change up your weekly workouts, do different body parts on different days etc, because once your body gets used to it your results will start to slow down. Also the technique of "de-loading" is taking a week or two off from lifting heavy about every 1-2 months, maybe lifting lighter or not lifting at all so that the body doesnt get used to the heavy lifting and you can shock those muscles some more.

A traditional 3 day split usually looks like:

Mon- Chest and Tris
    Wedn- Back and Bi's
    Fri- Legs and Shoulders

so yea.

Also you want to hit your "compound lifts" that work more than one muscle and build your testosterone levels which get you bigger and stronger as a whole, very important.

These lifts include all the big ones like Deadlifts, Squats, Powers, Bench etc. Throw those in to replace some of those puny cable exercises =p

Gotta have exercises
    Chest- bench/dumbells
    Back-Deadlifts, Pull-ups/weighted pull ups
    shoulders- Military Press
    Triceps- No real super important one but skull crushers are a fan fav
    Biceps- just hit both parts of them (outside and inside bicep) throughout your workouts.
    Legs- Squat
    Traps- Just shrug, and HEAVY SHRUGS, 8-12 reps. Go heavy on Calves and Abs as well, its a common misconception that 20-100 reps on these body parts is how your suppose to do it, nope, they are still muscles and should be treated the same as all the other ones if you want them to grow.

Follow this information, and with the right amount of dedication, I promise you will end up right where you want to be. Good luck, stay strong and stay fighting.

-RS
    Last edited by riqosuave; 04-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Eat Big, Lift Big, Get Big: My Journal Until My 1st Competition *Follow Now*

By any means necessary. riqosuave's Avatar
    riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riqosuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *bump*
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Eat Big, Lift Big, Get Big: My Journal Until My 1st Competition *Follow Now*

JudoBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *Bump*
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.