Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight Training for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hey everyone,

So I've reached a moment of real frustration when it comes to my fitness goals. I've tried lifting weights before and I've never really went through with it. I've seen lots of improvement every time I've done it and I thought it helped my physique. Unfortunately, I never got any thrill from doing it and I found it quite boring. I've been told I'm just doing it wrong and that I didn't have my priorities straight in the gym, and that's probably true.

I'd like to get a personal trainer but I can't afford that, I also have no idea how to do many of the lifts that would help my jiu jitsu such as power cleans and any other Olympic lifts. I'm 5'10 165 pounds and I'm trying to get into lifting again for two reasons, the first is to boost my jiu jitsu game because I've found that I'm a lot weaker than many people in my weight class and I'd just like to become more athletic in general, and the second reason is the obvious, I want to get in great shape.

My workout currently looks like this (no lifting at all):
    Monday: I do Muay Thai for one hour.
    Tuesday: I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours.
    Wednesday: Muay Thai 1 hour.
    Thursday: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours
    Friday: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for two hours
    Saturday: Muay thai for one hour followed by jiu jitsu for two.
    Sunday: I take a run for 30-40 minutes or I go indoor rock climbing.

I clearly have room to train more and I'd like to add around 3 weightlifting sessions a week to help me achieve my goals. Any proposed routines are much appreciated!

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recommend doing Joe Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards (WS4SB). While the name implies it's for "skinny bastards," in actuality, it's probably one of the best athletic programs out there. I recommend reading all three WS4SB articles first to see the progression from the first to the third. After that, read these two answers by Defranco in regards to adapting WS4SB to MMA training:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...e_07-06-22.htm
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...e_07-03-22.htm

I know you're doing BJJ but his recommendations for MMA training will carryover a lot into your training. While the beauty of BJJ is the technical skill, the additional strength will help a lot. Since part of BJJ is a lot of grip, read this as well in regards how to grip training:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...e_07-02-23.htm

Good luck. Don't diverge too much from the path and program in such a manner that it is beneficial to your sport.

Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I enjoyed the read and I'd like to say that I'll definitely try and incorporate the advice I saw in my lifting routine. One problem though, I'm not well versed in weight lifting at all, and while I've done it for a while, I still feel my knowledge isn't enough to create a good program for myself. Since all of coach Defranco's advice seems a little general in the sense that he doesn't pair the workouts together, I'd like something a little more specific like:-

Day 1 chest/back (or w/e):-
    Bench press 3x10
    Decline dumbell press 3x10
    pullups
    dips
    etc..

Some more info: I'll be doing lifting one day on and one day off and I'll try to do it the same day I would do my muay thai practice since I have a reasonable gap between my classes.

Edit:One more thing... I don't have access to tires and anything of that sort, I'll probably be doing most of my lifting routines at your typical gym. (benches/machines and anything else that usually comes with them).
    Last edited by Triskelion; 04-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.