ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Suitcase Deadlift

I discovered this jewel around 6 months ago and have been totally digging it. I prefer to use a tri extension neutral grip bar with it.

Regular full deadlifts are, in my opinion, probably the best overall exercise that one can do. But for guys like me, whose bodies are beat up from years of heavy strate bar lifting, the suitcase deadlift is a great alternative to regular deads. I love the fact that the load is decreased on lower back, the core is involved, and the hands can stay neutral and comfortable at sides of body. Overall, a big thumbs up.
    Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.

"My workouts are on a slow simmer. Should I raise the heat and seek a
    boil, I invariably get scorched. Cold is intolerable, room temperature
    makes me sick, and comfy-warm puts me to sleep."
    "The bench press took a permanent leave of absence when I grew up 20
    years ago. I do not miss the overrated lopsided painster one bit.
    Dumbbells are where it's at."

-Dave Draper

Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Oceanside has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by zachvanslyke View Post
    I discovered this jewel around 6 months ago and have been totally digging it. I prefer to use a tri extension neutral grip bar with it.

Regular full deadlifts are, in my opinion, probably the best overall exercise that one can do. But for guys like me, whose bodies are beat up from years of heavy strate bar lifting, the suitcase deadlift is a great alternative to regular deads. I love the fact that the load is decreased on lower back, the core is involved, and the hands can stay neutral and comfortable at sides of body. Overall, a big thumbs up.
    I'm gonna call bullsh*t here..

just can't see a true dead lifter wasting their time with a womans jazzercise type lift.

ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZazenZone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Oceanside View Post

just can't see a true dead lifter wasting their time with a womans jazzercise type lift.
    HAHA well, some "true" deadlifters were a little too "true" for many years and their bodies don't jive with heavy strate bar lifts anymore. I used to love heavy deads and if I could still do them without paying the devil's price, I would. I live with ac joint degeneration and a tweaked back because of being "true." I got up to 445 without straps on the deadlift several years ago at 180 lbs bodyweight, not great but not bad for an "amateur."

"Woman's jazzercize" is a little harsh friend. Maybe you don't have much experience with the exercise. Use a barbell and give it a try. Prepare to meet up with some humility.

Do a google on heavy suitcase deadlift videos and info and you'll find the exercise isn't necessarily equated with the pretty colored dumbbells

-Dave Draper

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What is a suitcase deadlift?
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

brb bulk-utting! nvrstopworking's Avatar
    nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    What is a suitcase deadlift?

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nvrstopworking View Post
    Thanks
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Thanks
    The guy in the video is an effin beast. He's obviously doing the suitcase simultaneously with 2 hands, which is great if one is healthy and injury free. But lifting both sides at once takes away from the uneven load of lifting one side at a time and thus diminishes how hard the core has to work, plus it puts much greater load on posterior chain.

-Dave Draper

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The guy in the video is an effin beast. He's obviously doing the suitcase simultaneously with 2 hands, which is great if one is healthy and injury free. But lifting both sides at once takes away from the uneven load of lifting one side at a time and thus diminishes how hard the core has to work, plus it puts much greater load on posterior chain.
    This basically looks like a trap bar deadlift for those who don't have a trap bar...
    With the added benefit of hitting the obliques and rib muscles hard if you do it one arm at a time.
    On the other hand deadlifts are about going heavy like the guy on the video(obviously heavy is a relative term, depends on the individual).
    In which case I feel it's possible to pull a rib muscle if you do it one armed.
    And I don't think you put enough load on your wheels this way.
    So If I looked for an alternative to regular deadlifts (it's been on my mind lately, it is as dangerous an exercise as it is rewarding), I would consider trap bars instead.
    In which case it becomes an alternative to squats also as it is a bit like a hybrid of the two.
    In fact it's more like an enhanced half squat(due to arm and trap involvement) than a deadlift.
    There are squat substitutes out there, there's no real substitute for regular deadlifts, none.
    You either can do them or you can't.
    No shame in that.
    Last edited by christos_swc; 04-10-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Originally Posted by christos_swc View Post
    This basically looks like a trap bar deadlift for those who don't have a trap bar...
    With the added benefit of hitting the obliques and rib muscles hard if you do it one arm at a time.
    On the other hand deadlifts are about going heavy like the guy on the video(obviously heavy is a relative term, depends on the individual).
    So If I looked for an alternative to regular deadlifts (it's been on my mind lately, it is as dangerous an exercise as it is rewarding), I would consider trap bars instead.
    In which case it becomes an alternative to squats also as it is a bit like a hybrid of the two.
    In fact it's more like an enhanced half squat(due to arm and trap involvement) than a deadlift.
    There are squat substitutes out there, there's no real substitute for regular deadlifts, none.
    No shame in that.
    Agree with most of what you wrote. NO sub for full deadlifts, in terms of the awesome load it puts on the entire body, but that heavy load is double-edged sword. In the same light, there really is no sub for full ATG squat, either. You can leg press, front squat, hack squat, etc all you want, but they don't compare to the systemic load of regular full squats.

I did my time with the big daddy straight bar moves and have the wounds to prove it. Do to chronic injuries I have to work around, I choose to use suitcase dead, goblet squat, and good mornings with bands to take care of legs and posterior chain these days. Are they gonna make me massive? Surely not, but that is ok. But can they potentially keep my legs and posterior chain reasonably strong and fit as I move into my 40s and 50s and beyond? Sure.

-Dave Draper

Originally Posted by christos_swc View Post
    No shame in that.
    Also, the suitcase dead is not intended to put max load on wheels or posterior chain, in fact, it's about reducing the load on said regions and involving the core more to stabilize. One should add weight very slowly to the move, because the weak point is, in fact, as you correctly pointed out, the core/oblique/serratus type of area.
    Last edited by zachvanslyke; 04-10-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: sp

-Dave Draper

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like a variant of the trap/hip bar dead to me. Less stabilized of course, but similar movement.

I like 'em but I don't consider them a substitute because they feel completely different.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Oceanside View Post

That's just ignorance..

Suit case deads are commonly used by strongman. They are great for helping with the car deadlift for example.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with most of what you wrote. NO sub for full deadlifts, in terms of the awesome load it puts on the entire body, but that heavy load is double-edged sword. In the same light, there really is no sub for full ATG squat, either. You can leg press, front squat, hack squat, etc all you want, but they don't compare to the systemic load of regular full squats.

I did my time with the big daddy straight bar moves and have the wounds to prove it. Do to chronic injuries I have to work around, I choose to use suitcase dead, goblet squat, and good mornings with bands to take care of legs and posterior chain these days. Are they gonna make me massive? Surely not, but that is ok. But can they potentially keep my legs and posterior chain reasonably strong and fit as I move into my 40s and 50s and beyond? Sure.
    IMO zerchers are.

A full zercher will give you the benefit of deadlifts & an atg squat and still reduce compression & other issues with the spine because the weight is front loaded.

You deadlift the bar up, squat down place it on your legs and then hook the arms under the bar and squat the weight up, back down.