AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Weighted pushups to build muscle?

I've got a quick question. How effective will weighted pushups (20 lb weight vest) be towards gaining some muscle? My current workout involves 3 different types of weighted pushups for 3 sets each. Will that be ineffective or will I see some gains?

And actually while I'm at it, same thing with pullups. 3 types, 9 sets.

Thanks in advance.

WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AFMotoX311 View Post
    I've got a quick question. How effective will weighted pushups (20 lb weight vest) be towards gaining some muscle? My current workout involves 3 different types of weighted pushups for 3 sets each. Will that be ineffective or will I see some gains?

And actually while I'm at it, same thing with pullups. 3 types, 9 sets.

Thanks in advance.
    IMO you don't need that many variations unless you just enjoy doing them. I subscribe to a minimalist approach so I am currently using close grip weighted push-ups along with weighted chins and pulls. Unless you have done so already I would not buy a vest. I stack the plates on my back which makes it very easy to increase weight each week.
    Committed to:
    Benching 250
    Overhead Pressing 135
    Squatting 315
    Deadlifting 405

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to perform this as a finishing movement with plates. It's a nice movement, just not something that would anchor my chest routine.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

lift heavy & take a multi hotspur's Avatar
    hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As the basis of your workout, or more of something towards the end?

They won't be effective as bench, overhead press, deads, etc. because you can load more weight on those lifts, and thus gain more strength. Weighted pushups, pullups, and dips are great accessory lifts if you have access to the gym (and are good place to start if you don't), but they're not the most efficient ways to add size and strength.
    I do because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you should have a primary form of pushup that you train with the most. It's good for actually keeping up, and tracking your progress.

Remember to learn one arm pushups. They do increase your technique.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pointless IMO, just bench press

No offense, at your height and size specialization is not needed. Flat bench, weighted dips, incline bench, all the pressing you need.
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
    As the basis of your workout, or more of something towards the end?

They won't be effective as bench, overhead press, deads, etc. because you can load more weight on those lifts, and thus gain more strength. Weighted pushups, pullups, and dips are great accessory lifts but they're not the most efficient ways to add size and strength.
    What limits people from loading a lot of weight onto push ups, pull ups, or dips?

For that matter, if you include your body weight I'm pretty sure there's people who are dipping heavier weights than they overhead press in the very least.

Registered User missiontomuscle's Avatar
    missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) missiontomuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sportyaccordy View Post

No offense, at your height and size specialization is not needed. Flat bench, weighted dips, incline bench, all the pressing you need.
    Have to agree, you will be able to lift more doing bench, therefore putting the muscle under more load.

In saying that, I would do normal pushups as part of chest drop set. That is, finish bench and do pushups to failure.
    About Me:
    Ben Basos is the writer of the extremely popular Mission to Muscle blog, which documented his “must see” 12 week transformation from flabby to fit. Ben also holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Movement studies, and dedicates his time to keeping lean, fit and healthy.

MissiontoMuscle.com

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I thought push ups helped with shoulder health since they allow protraction. Is that bad?

Not sure I agree people will be able to lift more doing bench, that depends on experience. There are probably people who can't bench anywhere near to the weight on their hands in a push up. The closed-chain aspect may help some people work harder.

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I thought push ups helped with shoulder health since they allow protraction. Is that bad?

Not sure I agree people will be able to lift more doing bench, that depends on experience. There are probably people who can't bench anywhere near to the weight on their hands in a push up. The closed-chain aspect may help some people work harder.
    I would say the bolded is prob more due to coordination & neural issues (i.e. not having learned how to stabilize the bar, being nervous about dropping the weight etc) than an issue of strength. Plus w/high weight supporting a bar is, IME anyway, much easier than supporting one's body + weight... I feel like doing push ups w/a lot of weight is a quick way to a sprained thumb

I would say the bolded is prob more due to coordination & neural issues (i.e. not having learned how to stabilize the bar, being nervous about dropping the weight etc) than an issue of strength.
    Are those divisible from strength though? If they're a non-issue then what of chest press machines?

Plus w/high weight supporting a bar is, IME anyway, much easier than supporting one's body + weight... I feel like doing push ups w/a lot of weight is a quick way to a sprained thumb
    In that case, let's compare it to doing push ups on a set of handles/paralettes? That should make it more similar to benching a bar or dumbbells.

AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFMotoX311 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To answer a few questions in one, I was asking as a more general "will it happen" type of thing. I do have access to a gym (being in the military I have a few actually) but being in the military also means gym rats (no offense) fill the place up during the time I am able to go. I don't have a major desire to get huge, but at least a few pounds would be nice.

And I would use handles with them (just to avoid that sprained thumb.. haha).

Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100) Rit is not very well liked. (-100)
    Ya, it would work, but there are other exercises that are more efficient and better on the body.

Are those divisible from strength though? If they're a non-issue then what of chest press machines?
    Yes... this is part of the noob gains phenomenon. If you've never bench pressed before, with time you will get better at it and be able to move more weight w/o necessarily gaining muscle

In that case, let's compare it to doing push ups on a set of handles/paralettes? That should make it more similar to benching a bar or dumbbells.
    Even with that, you're still expending energy & concentration on stabilizing your whole posterior chain, etc, that you won't do lying on your back on a bench. If you value the stabilization factor, go for it, but I personally think it's BS... all your muscles see are a load, if you do the exercise in a way that doesn't allow you to move more weight you're doing them a disservice, IMO

Even with that, you're still expending energy & concentration on stabilizing your whole posterior chain, etc, that you won't do lying on your back on a bench. If you value the stabilization factor, go for it, but I personally think it's BS... all your muscles see are a load, if you do the exercise in a way that doesn't allow you to move more weight you're doing them a disservice, IMO
    Er, I'm not sure I get why the posterior chain would be active, if you fired your glutes your hips would sink into the ground (usually we have some amount of hip flexion in our plank posture right?) and the hamstrings if you did then not only the previous but the knees would buckle into the ground too.

I've heard the lower back can be stressed during pushup/planks. I've never understood why but it does feel that way sometimes, wish I understood it it.

Still it seems more like an anterior chain (quads/hipflexors/abs) that works for isometric stability in combination with the arm pushing muscles.

Regardless of that though I agree with your point, the stabilization component could take away from maximal stimulation if it distracts from arm pushers. I guess just want to weigh that against the instability component present in open-chain moves like barbell pressing. Comparing to dumbs would be unfair probably.

Maybe on away around that could be to splay the feet really wide? =)

WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000) WarEagle76 is just really nice. (+1000)

OP did not say he was only doing push-ups/pull-ups but wanted to know if they build mass. The answer is yes. Push-ups/pull-ups add mass. Like another poster said they should not anchor your program but they are GREAT exercises.

I don't want to burst any bubbles but IMO pull-ups are a better indicator of strength than bench.

Please tell me how a push-up is specialization...
    Committed to:
    Benching 250
    Overhead Pressing 135
    Squatting 315
    Deadlifting 405

un4gettable47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Herrow!

I am looking to change my chest workout to a variety of different push-ups too (maybe weighted in the future); It will be included in my upper body workout day. My shoulders/back are kinda screwed from bench press/db chest press; so I am ditching bench along with all other exercises that have my back pressed up against a bench with 100-200 pounds pressing down. Tucking my shoulder blades obviously helps, but not enough for me.

My back and shoulders have been irritated over the years, and I now have a bad back (also due to me sitting alot; and maybe sleep posture). But I am sure that it played a part in screwing me, as I can now feel my shoulder blades being irritated as/right after I bench "with good form". I am going to quit these movements and see how I feel in a few weeks or months.

If you are going to do pushups, make sure it is proper form as such: QOZ8J6xuWVE

As for weighted push-ups, i dunno. I may need to think about that in the future as well.

But it's push-ups for me from now on as I see it It is not worth wrecking your body to get big. Who knows, maybe most everyone has a bad back because most everyone benches lulz... I have had an uncomfortable/cracking/aching back for maybe two and a half years. I had just started benching maybe a year or a half before that. Go figure, sad it took me this long to figure it out (maybe). I used to be fine in all sleeping positions waking up just fine on my damn stomach. Now if I sleep on my stomach or back, I'll wake up feeling wrecked. And on my side I wake up feeling not so great either, but either way I have an uncomfortable back all day long "more so if I sleep on my back or stomach". I wake up with headaches mild to severe depending on the level of my head. I had no issues with such things years ago. This bit about the headaches may be completely unrelated, but prolly not, because the condition of your spine effects everything. And mine is not well.

Maybe I am wrecked because of benching once or twice every week in past years. And yes, I prolly have an injury too but haven't gone to a doctor or chiropractor because I don't believe they would be able to do anything for me but give me some pills, suggest surgery or crack my back. Maybe they could have knocked some sense into me and told me to stop putting so much stress on my back once/biweekly. But they wouldn't have told me to do that though, they would have told me to take a break from all weight lifting period, in which I would have said hell no. The other exercises are fine, it's just bench, db chest press and even chest flies that you need to watch "anything that gives you the load of weight while your back is pinned on the ground/bench".

I hope stopping this will help me. I am tired of having an uncomfortable cracking back/spine/TAILBONE. It's not necessarily painful or debilitating, but ohh boy does that constant uncomfortable feeling mess with you; needing to change positions all the time, then need to crack your neck/spine all the time and waking up not feeling refreshed and ready to go. I can breathe in while sucking in my rib cage and my spine cracks. We'll c; o keck

The above is just me trying to determine the source of my issues; in which I clearly indicated that it could very well be the years of benching ect... But, maybe not. Meanwhile, watch this video: Pz3ybLJ5Ots

And as for amount of weight on other exercises; if you are struggling or uncomfortable doing weight that you can just barely do 8 reps of; lower the weight and do 10-15 reps. ie. Squats, I am not going to load hundreds of pounds on and end up not going low enough and or using improper form. I am going to do a decent amount of weight that enables me to use a full range of motion like the exercise intended getting a sufficient burn. ie. don't load the weight on for Db should press and dread trying to push out that eighth rep nearly snapping you neck; lower the weight and do 10-15. If you throw the weight up there and it is automatically overly uncomfortable: lower weight. Whatever is comfortable within reason not going way to light. If you look at the weight/your form/the reps and you are still having issues, maybe the exercise needs to go.

I think I will abandon deads and pursue hyper-extensions. I have always debated dead lifts, and maybe I should say screw em... I do them with proper form, but will not do them any-more.

Let me list what my workout plan will entail: I will still need to do some research on what types of push-ups exist and what else I can do for chest:

1 Sunday: Upper -x1 set stretch-(15min, after post w-orkout meal on days- I have the ti-me)
    2 Monday: Lower + Abs -x1set stretch-
    3 Tuesday: Rest x2 set stretch (30min)
    4 Wednesday: Upper -x1set stretch-
    5 Thursday: Lower (Sprints) + Abs -x1set stretch-
    6 Friday: Rest x2set stretch
    7 Saturday: Rest x2set stretch

1 and 2 set stretches meaning a variety of 8-12 (ect..) different stretches each one being performed once or twice.

**light** Long Medium Paced Jogging 20-30mins/Extra Push-Ups/Wrist work/Extra Stretching can be done any-day

Upper Body:

Push-Ups x3 "sets" (number of reps that you see fitting, depending on weight for the below)
    Incline Push-Ups x3
    Wide Grip Pull-Ups x3
    Db Shoulder Press x3
    Standing Db Side Raises x2 video: scooby the bodybuilder
    Standing Db Front Raises x2 video: scooby the bodybuilder
    Standing slightly bent over Db Reverse Flies x2 decent video: evXOlgLTPCw
    Seated Db Cons Curls x3
    Dips x2 (hands on bench) video: nx9gVDCnT84
    Triceps Push-Ups x2 video: same as pushups video above nearing the end

Lower Body 1:
    Squats x3
    Hyper Ext x3
    Slightly Lower Weight Squats/Hyper Ext: Super set x2
    Barbell Calf Raises x3
    Lunges; forward and backwards (with weight or without) x3
    Abs: Crunches x3
    Obliques x3 video: CMJA332bfs0

Lower Body 2:
    Sprints 20-30 mins on and off
    Obliques x3 video above

It looks better in MS Word and I didn't have to explain things in it All done at home, I have a bench with a deeeecent squat wrack on the back. Can jog outside or on treadmill. Db's/Barbell/Weights/Widegrip Pull-Up Bar attached to floor boards/Smaller or regular bench for seated movements if need be/small hyper-ext. Great online store is fitnessavenue.ca Paypal

It's messy but I am lazy, so deal with it.

Stretches:

I would list all the stretches I have recently started doing but i don't know the names of them: but here is a link that have some of the one's I use: ht (remove spaces) tp ://ww (remove spaces) w.tope (remove spaces) ndsports. (remove spaces) com/imag (remove spaces) e/clipart/fitness/stretching

Switch your stretches/exercises up if you can in the future, and increase weight/reps too. But make sure the exercises you choose are 100% comfortable with u, cool.
    Last edited by un4gettable47; 11-29-2012 at 01:40 PM.

So that's my plan above: Any thoughts?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by un4gettable47 View Post
    I think it's the biggest thread hijack in forum history.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    I used to perform this as a finishing movement with plates. It's a nice movement, just not something that would anchor my chest routine.
    This.

Put the 125 dumbbells up for 12 reps on Incline if you want to build muscle.

DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DwightEvanlivt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am looking to change my chest workout to a variety of different push-ups too (maybe weighted in the future); It will be included in my upper body workout day. My shoulders/back are kinda screwed from bench press/db chest press; so I am ditching bench along with all other exercises that have my back pressed up against a bench with 100-200 pounds pressing down. Tucking my shoulder blades obviously helps, but not enough for me.

My back and shoulders have been irritated over the years, and I now have a bad back (also due to me sitting alot; and maybe sleep posture). But I am sure that it played a part in screwing me, as I can now feel my shoulder blades being irritated as/right after I bench "with good form". I am going to quit these movements and see how I feel in a few weeks or months.

If you are going to do pushups, make sure it is proper form as such: QOZ8J6xuWVE

As for weighted push-ups, i dunno. I may need to think about that in the future as well.

But it's push-ups for me from now on as I see it It is not worth wrecking your body to get big. Who knows, maybe most everyone has a bad back because most everyone benches lulz... I have had an uncomfortable/cracking/aching back for maybe two and a half years. I had just started benching maybe a year or a half before that. Go figure, sad it took me this long to figure it out (maybe). I used to be fine in all sleeping positions waking up just fine on my damn stomach. Now if I sleep on my stomach or back, I'll wake up feeling wrecked. And on my side I wake up feeling not so great either, but either way I have an uncomfortable back all day long "more so if I sleep on my back or stomach". I wake up with headaches mild to severe depending on the level of my head. I had no issues with such things years ago. This bit about the headaches may be completely unrelated, but prolly not, because the condition of your spine effects everything. And mine is not well.

Maybe I am wrecked because of benching once or twice every week in past years. And yes, I prolly have an injury too but haven't gone to a doctor or chiropractor because I don't believe they would be able to do anything for me but give me some pills, suggest surgery or crack my back. Maybe they could have knocked some sense into me and told me to stop putting so much stress on my back once/biweekly. But they wouldn't have told me to do that though, they would have told me to take a break from all weight lifting period, in which I would have said hell no. The other exercises are fine, it's just bench, db chest press and even chest flies that you need to watch "anything that gives you the load of weight while your back is pinned on the ground/bench".

I hope stopping this will help me. I am tired of having an uncomfortable cracking back/spine/TAILBONE. It's not necessarily painful or debilitating, but ohh boy does that constant uncomfortable feeling mess with you; needing to change positions all the time, then need to crack your neck/spine all the time and waking up not feeling refreshed and ready to go. I can breathe in while sucking in my rib cage and my spine cracks. We'll c; o keck

The above is just me trying to determine the source of my issues; in which I clearly indicated that it could very well be the years of benching ect... But, maybe not. Meanwhile, watch this video: Pz3ybLJ5Ots

And as for amount of weight on other exercises; if you are struggling or uncomfortable doing weight that you can just barely do 8 reps of; lower the weight and do 10-15 reps. ie. Squats, I am not going to load hundreds of pounds on and end up not going low enough and or using improper form. I am going to do a decent amount of weight that enables me to use a full range of motion like the exercise intended getting a sufficient burn. ie. don't load the weight on for Db should press and dread trying to push out that eighth rep nearly snapping you neck; lower the weight and do 10-15. If you throw the weight up there and it is automatically overly uncomfortable: lower weight. Whatever is comfortable within reason not going way to light. If you look at the weight/your form/the reps and you are still having issues, maybe the exercise needs to go.

I think I will abandon deads and pursue hyper-extensions. I have always debated dead lifts, and maybe I should say screw em... I do them with proper form, but will not do them any-more.

Let me list what my workout plan will entail: I will still need to do some research on what types of push-ups exist and what else I can do for chest:

1 Sunday: Upper -x1 set stretch-(15min, after post w-orkout meal on days- I have the ti-me)
    2 Monday: Lower + Abs -x1set stretch-
    3 Tuesday: Rest x2 set stretch (30min)
    4 Wednesday: Upper -x1set stretch-
    5 Thursday: Lower (Sprints) + Abs -x1set stretch-
    6 Friday: Rest x2set stretch
    7 Saturday: Rest x2set stretch

1 and 2 set stretches meaning a variety of 8-12 (ect..) different stretches each one being performed once or twice.

**light** Long Medium Paced Jogging 20-30mins/Extra Push-Ups/Wrist work/Extra Stretching can be done any-day

Upper Body:

Push-Ups x3 "sets" (number of reps that you see fitting, depending on weight for the below)
    Incline Push-Ups x3
    Wide Grip Pull-Ups x3
    Db Shoulder Press x3
    Standing Db Side Raises x2 video: scooby the bodybuilder
    Standing Db Front Raises x2 video: scooby the bodybuilder
    Standing slightly bent over Db Reverse Flies x2 decent video: evXOlgLTPCw
    Seated Db Cons Curls x3
    Dips x2 (hands on bench) video: nx9gVDCnT84
    Triceps Push-Ups x2 video: same as pushups video above nearing the end

Lower Body 1:
    Squats x3
    Hyper Ext x3
    Slightly Lower Weight Squats/Hyper Ext: Super set x2
    Barbell Calf Raises x3
    Lunges; forward and backwards (with weight or without) x3
    Obliques x3 video: CMJA332bfs0

Lower Body 2:
    Sprints 20-30 mins on and off
    Obliques x3 video above

It looks better in MS Word and I didn't have to explain things in it All done at home, I have a bench with a deeeecent squat wrack on the back. Can jog outside or on treadmill. Db's/Barbell/Weights/Widegrip Pull-Up Bar attached to floor boards/Smaller or regular bench for seated movements if need be/small hyper-ext. Great online store is fitnessavenue.ca Paypal

It's messy but I am lazy, so deal with it.

Stretches:

I would list all the stretches I have recently started doing but i don't know the names of them: but here is a link that have some of the one's I use: ht (remove spaces) tp ://ww (remove spaces) w.tope (remove spaces) ndsports. (remove spaces) com/imag (remove spaces) e/clipart/fitness/stretching

Switch your stretches/exercises up if you can in the future, and increase weight/reps too. But make sure the exercises you choose are 100% comfortable with u, cool.
    Coffee is a good pre-wkout stim.

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dwightevanlivt View Post
    coffee is a good pre-wkout stim.

almost spit my coffee reading this(100% serious)

lol!!

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I think it's the biggest thread hijack in forum history.
    I might say so myself if the last post wasn't over a year ago lololol. But yes, I know, I rambled like a boss in THE POST

danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you weigh 150lb, the push ups with 20lb vest are equivalent to roughly 80-100lb bench press. If you are weak to begin with, then the weighted push ups will give you results, but if you can already bench press 120lb then the push ups are likely too easy.

Personally I use various resistance bands with push ups when I don't have access to a gym. Band resisted or vest resisted push ups are a step up from regular push ups. I got good Improvements from Pushups. You can see more of my upper body resistance band workout.

Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyone know of any good deals on a weighted vest?

Pls let me know if you do.

Thanks

Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

this

Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thor84z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To underestimate the pushup is beyond foolish..

Pushups are ESSENTIAL to good chest, core, sholder and tricep development. I always shoot to do them as often as possible but I shoot for fitting in 100-150 total reps every time I workout.

I.E on leg day I'll do 10 pushups inbetween a set of squats, 25 more inbetween legpress, so on and so forth until I reach desired total rep goal.

However, I wouldn't advise for doing 'sets' of pushups, EXP weighted ones. There are much better compound weighted movements that better target the chest.

Be VERY careful that you're practicing strict form because more often than not I see kids doing incorrect pushups and you're not really helping yourself as much as you could be.
    lol

GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoldustRpdMyDad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Thor84z View Post
    To underestimate the pushup is beyond foolish..

Pushups are ESSENTIAL to good chest, core, sholder and tricep development. I always shoot to do them as often as possible but I shoot for fitting in 100-150 total reps every time I workout.

I.E on leg day I'll do 10 pushups inbetween a set of squats, 25 more inbetween legpress, so on and so forth until I reach desired total rep goal.

However, I wouldn't advise for doing 'sets' of pushups, EXP weighted ones. There are much better compound weighted movements that better target the chest.

Be VERY careful that you're practicing strict form because more often than not I see kids doing incorrect pushups and you're not really helping yourself as much as you could be.
    yup

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Eh? Building muscle is just nutrition...
    "ham boy"

tlray2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would use bench press and incline movements to build muscle. weighted push ups would be a good finish movement on some days. Give you a good pump, but I def would not make it my main lift to gain muscle.
    Travis