Closed Thread
    Pip884 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can anyone awnser these ?'s (please take time to read)

Hello, my name is Ryan and I have some questions about nutriton. First off my current diet sucks, and I would be willing to admit that I'm used to eating processed and ready made food due to their convience. I know this just will not work in the bodybuilding world so I have some information I found that I would like to submit to you and am open to any suggestions. I literally need to revamp my whole diet so I am starting from scratch Ill be going to buy grocerys in a few days please make some suggestions. Sometimes my ability to get a good meal are limited due to work so I eat a lot of granola bars ect which isnt so good.

Here is some information I found but as with everything else I try to research there is no clear cut awnser, I've gone through trial and error numerous times to no avail. Here is what I came up with:
    Acording to 2 different sites my
    RMR:3227kcal
    RMR:1646.55
    Harris Benedict formula:1646.55 x 1.6 =2634.48
    Harris Benedict formula:2658

Here are some macro's running a 35/45/20 split Carbs/Protein/Fats @ 2658 calories per day (maintenance level)

CARBOHYDRATE PROTEIN FAT
    GRAMS PER DAY 232g 299g 59g
    GRAMS PER MEAL 38.7g 49.8g 9.8g
    CALORIES PER DAY 930 cals 1196 cals 532 cals
    CALORIES PER MEAL 155 cals 199.3 cals 88.7 cals

Macro's 35/45/20 @ 2127 calories per day (Weight loss level)

CARBOHYDRATE PROTEIN FAT
    GRAMS PER DAY 186g 239g 47g
    GRAMS PER MEAL 31g 39.8g 7.8g
    CALORIES PER DAY 745 cals 957 cals 425 cals
    CALORIES PER MEAL 124.2 cals 159.5 cals 70.8 cals

Macro's @ 40/40/20 2658 calories

CARBOHYDRATE PROTEIN FAT
    GRAMS PER DAY 265g 265g 59g
    GRAMS PER MEAL 44.2g 44.2g 9.8g
    CALORIES PER DAY 1063 cals 1063 cals 532 cals
    CALORIES PER MEAL 177.2 cals 177.2 cals 88.7 cals

Macro's 40/40/20 @ 2127 calories

CARBOHYDRATE PROTEIN FAT
    GRAMS PER DAY 212g 212g 47g
    GRAMS PER MEAL 35.3g 35.3g 7.8g
    CALORIES PER DAY 851 cals 851 cals 425 cals
    CALORIES PER MEAL 141.8 cals 141.8 cals 70.8 cals

Which of these macros above if any would be good for a cutting/toning phase. If any make your own suggestions if you like.
    Height:6'0"
    Weight:175
    Moderate excercise 5 days a week

1. What is a good meal to eat when you first wake up?
    2. What is a good pre-workout meal
    3.What should a good post-workout meal comprise of
    4. If my RMR is 1646 should i drop calories below that to lose weight or below my BMR?
    5. When counting calories do you incorporate the ones from supplements ex. a pre workout supplement has 40 cals do you count that toward your daily consumption?
    6. Can anyone make a list of good food for cutting/toning. If I would go to the grocery store what should I buy? Please include brand names if possible.
    7. Good meal before bed (other than caesin)
    8. Should you eat no carbs after a certain time?
    9. Explain complex/ simple carbs and when they are best used.
    10. Any other usefull information or insight about nutrition for gaining/preserving muscle & losing weight.

Off subject
    1. When is the best time to do cardio? Ie. before after resistance training?
    2. Experiences/suggestions with HIIT training, good articles on it?

Thanks in advance for all your help, if you have any questions regarding what im asking please dont hesitate to ask.
    It's easy to brag about your accomplishments, but can you step forward and admit your failures?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat when you first get up.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat pre workout.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat post workout.

4. If my RMR is 1646 should i drop calories below that to lose weight or below my BMR?
    No. See link above.

5. When counting calories do you incorporate the ones from supplements ex. a pre workout supplement has 40 cals do you count that toward your daily consumption?
    If you want to count them, do so. What ever you do - be consistent with it, as it is your ability to CHANGE your diet in response to RESULTS that matters.

6. Can anyone make a list of good food for cutting/toning. If I would go to the grocery store what should I buy? Please include brand names if possible.
    No such thing as toning - that is a word marketing companies developed so they wouldn't scare females away from their products/ training.
    Tone = more muscle, less fat.
    Foods? What ever you feel like that keeps you healthy while you reach your goals.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat pre bed.

No. Eat them when you feel like.

Old data. Eat what ever carbs you want should they fit your diet.
    Doesn't matter in the context of a mixed meal.

10. Any other usefull information or insight about nutrition for gaining/preserving muscle & losing weight.
    Your mind is currently so clouded by 'what you think you need to do' that you are failing to see the nonsense of your current beliefs.... Don't allow yourself to be spoon fed the typical crap that people try to force into the fitness industry.

Read as much as possible, sourced from REAL information sources - this means sources that are NOT 'that big guy' at the gym.
    Start with the stickies here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    And then read the work of people like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Martin Berkhan....

Free your mind, educate yourself, and learn....
    Last edited by Emma-Leigh; 04-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.

kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50) kentuckync will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this will help a lot of people, thanks
    Eat like a horse, sleep like a baby and grow like weed.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So will the stickies where all this info can basically be found. Problem is nobody reads theM
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm going to start sending people here when they have questions. This should be incorporated into a sticky if it is not already.

lol

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Excellent post by Emma-Leigh, again.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Start here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat when you first get up.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat pre workout.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat post workout.

No. See link above.

If you want to count them, do so. What ever you do - be consistent with it, as it is your ability to CHANGE your diet in response to RESULTS that matters.

No such thing as toning - that is a word marketing companies developed so they wouldn't scare females away from their products/ training.
    Tone = more muscle, less fat.
    Foods? What ever you feel like that keeps you healthy while you reach your goals.

What you feel like.
    But you don't have to eat pre bed.

No. Eat them when you feel like.

Your mind is currently so clouded by 'what you think you need to do' that you are failing to see the nonsense of your current beliefs.... Don't allow yourself to be spoon fed the typical crap that people try to force into the fitness industry.

Read as much as possible, sourced from REAL information sources - this means sources that are NOT 'that big guy' at the gym.
    Start with the stickies here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    And then read the work of people like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Martin Berkhan....

Free your mind, educate yourself, and learn....
    Rep'd!

Op, focus on getting adequate protein and appropriating cals to gaining/losing

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JA4Fitness View Post
    While I am not trying to contradict you and what you have told him to do here.
    I'd like to question some of your answers; especially the first three.

To suggest that he can eat whatever he feels like, or not at all, for breakfast, pre and post workout, seems a bit off to me.
    When you wake up, the purpose of breakfast is to Break the Fast. The instant you're body starts to move it will start to search for the nutrients it needs to keep moving. If the nutrients are not found, it will go to its second alternative and start to eat away at the muscle. Unless you are Jay Cutler and you've had a change of heart and want to chew off a bunch of muscle, this does not sound like a very ideal scenario! To really jump start your metabolism, the "perfect world" scenario is to be eating within the first 30 mins, if not as soon as you've woken up, gone to the bathroom and brushed your teeth (or whatever your morning routine is).

Secondly: to suggest that its ok for someone to meh, eat or not eat, before a workout. Have you ever tried to workout on an empty stomach? The energy it takes to push up the dumbbells on your chest press, or to hit the squat rack and bust out 8 reps. Or better yet, if you are going for strength and hitting 3-5 reps. You will burn through your glucose so fast, you will not be able to perform at your highest level due to the fact that you have nothing left to use for energy. The difference between working out with a pre-workout meal, or choosing to not eat prior, is significant. Getting in a well balanced meal, or if you're on the run, at least a meal replacement smoothie/bar, makes all the difference between a good and bad workout.

Post workout. If you've exerted yourself at all, which, since you are working out, you have, you will starve your muscles if they dont get the nutrients to refill the ones you just used. For an awesome article on Post workout Meals, please see: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

Like I said, I'm not trying to contradict you, but if someone were to read this and not the numerous stickies that everyone expects everyone to read, someone would be misguided in their efforts to achieve their fitness goals.
    Good God; you seriously need to go back to the stickies and completely ignore the bullsh*t articles you are reasing on bb.com ... you are being misguided and left behind with regards to nutritional knowledge if you carry on in this direction.

No, Emma's information is correct. Every individual point you have produced here is either scientifically disproven and outdated, or relating to a matter of personal preference (working out fasted)... Therefore, I urge you to go back and read the stickies.

Your last paragraph has proven that you yourself have not read the stickies; Emma's points are based around what the stickies inform.
    Last edited by layarph; 05-24-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Strong 13 month bump.

loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) loganchris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Strong 14'th bump and I must say that you are gold leigh
    If anybody would like to handbalance like bruce lee, you should check me at

--------------> www.lostartofhandbalancing.com <--------------

ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by loganchris View Post
    Strong 14'th bump and I must say that you are gold leigh
    I see that's all you've done on here. Often older threads are used as a reference to read from in "your" search. Unless you have something truly worth adding. ( not one liners you've done all day in every thread you've bumped ). Then just read them.
    US Marine Corps Vet 8 years ( 92/00 ) - Semper Fi - ★cVc★

Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I'm Confused

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

In regards to this statement, I've read, and been told time and again that simple sugars are terrible for you and that they should be very limited. When you say "eat whatever carbs you want" does this mean that there's no difference between eating 2 oz of whole grain pasta, and eating 40g of sugar? I may be misunderstanding you, but I just want you to clarify. Thanks

swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swilesjr1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The problem with these sticky things is that they assume you already know the difference between healthy food and not healthy...what your body needs and what it doesn't...then if you ask a question about it, people bite your head off, leave you bad reputation for not reading stickys and refer you back to the sticky that confused the hell out of you in the first place. I'm trying to lose 100 pounds here and I'm still just as far from understanding what/when to eat as I was when I first started. I'm ALWAYS low in protein or fiber or fat or SOMETHING and over on something else. I know this is a free service and you can't be too critical...but I'd sure love some help
    Steve - NC

Feb 22, 2015 - 301lbs
    Feb 25 - 296
    March 2 - 295
    March 5 - 293.2
    March 8 - 291.4
    March 12 - 287

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by swilesjr1979 View Post
    The problem with these sticky things is that they assume you already know the difference between healthy food and not healthy...what your body needs and what it doesn't...then if you ask a question about it, people bite your head off, leave you bad reputation for not reading stickys and refer you back to the sticky that confused the hell out of you in the first place. I'm trying to lose 100 pounds here and I'm still just as far from understanding what/when to eat as I was when I first started. I'm ALWAYS low in protein or fiber or fat or SOMETHING and over on something else. I know this is a free service and you can't be too critical...but I'd sure love some help
    Don't be scared to ask questions bro, who gives a shiet if people neg you?

You are on this forum to learn right, not rack up rep points?

Edit

Originally Posted by swilesjr1979 View Post
    The problem with these sticky things is that they assume you already know the difference between healthy food and not healthy...
    That's because you haven't taken the time or done enough reading and research to realize that no single food is healthy nor healthy. More reading is needed. Take the time to fully grasp all of these subjects.

Lots of misconceptions in that short post man.

Brownie0824 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take my Gold Standard Whey Protein a half hr before my work and before I go to bed. I take an after workout shake and AMPED UP DURING MY WORK OUT. HOW MANY SHAKES OF PROTEIN SHOULD I TAKE AND WHEN? THANK YOU FOR READING
    Mark D Brown

goktrenks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) goktrenks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) goktrenks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Bellpolo08 View Post
    In regards to this statement, I've read, and been told time and again that simple sugars are terrible for you and that they should be very limited. When you say "eat whatever carbs you want" does this mean that there's no difference between eating 2 oz of whole grain pasta, and eating 40g of sugar? I may be misunderstanding you, but I just want you to clarify. Thanks
    Hi,I saw this question wasn't answered and I had the same exact question,can anyone offer some insight on it?

DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100) DBZ1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Brownie0824 View Post
    I take my Gold Standard Whey Protein a half hr before my work and before I go to bed. I take an after workout shake and AMPED UP DURING MY WORK OUT. HOW MANY SHAKES OF PROTEIN SHOULD I TAKE AND WHEN? THANK YOU FOR READING
    This is a question that many people might be wondering around here. I read that at most 3 servings of whey protein should be taken per day.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So essentially eat whatever you want as long as protein is high and calories are in excess or deficit depending on your goal.