Closed Thread
Page 6 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast
    fake it till i make it johnblythe's Avatar
    johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jimuk View Post
    ok cycle 2 week 2 heavy day tonight 9 reps cant wait only thing is im now training in a deficit and doing insanity workouts after it is exhausting but i will persevere and pushing out the reps is all in the mind ive got till 31may and i will shed the BF hopefully by dialing in the diet and pushing the weights it will limit gains but should also limit muscle loss and hopfully look ripped come my hols.
    make sure to not overdo it with insanity + deficit + weight training!
    A better read than 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight combined, srsbrah: http://tinyurl.com/jblylifts

CURRENT GOAL: 1100+ (reached 04/11); 1150+, < 14%
    Current lameness: 375/235/495 = 1105
    [b]2013[/b]: +85# on 4/11

Racing KenshinH to manly (495+) pull

MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ok cycle 2 week 2 heavy day tonight 9 reps cant wait only thing is im now training in a deficit and doing insanity workouts after it is exhausting but i will persevere and pushing out the reps is all in the mind ive got till 31may and i will shed the BF hopefully by dialing in the diet and pushing the weights it will limit gains but should also limit muscle loss and hopfully look ripped come my hols.
    Like John said, don't go stupid crazy... There is such a thing as going backwards with your training ... When your body runs out of things to use for energy, it starts OM NOM NOMing on your protein stores/muscles... Don't want that happening.
    Proud member of Team Ogre

-----> Come join me in my log on bb.com!: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150246533

Currently running: Wade's program
    Currently reading: Nothing. Suggest something for me to digest with my eyes
    Currently playing: Clicker Heroes and Diablo 3

HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MatTheCur View Post
    Simple reply. No. We say don't change it, so don't change it. Squats included.

Do everything as it's written. No more, no less. Do it for a few cycles (read: 15 weeks at least). Then look at where you're lacking and tweak.

The first rule of this routine is DON'T CHANGE THE ROUTINE.
    The second rule of this routine is DO NOT CHANGE THE ROUTINE.
    The third rule of this routine is if you change something, you're not doing THIS routine.
    The fourth rule of this routine is if you think you know better, get out of the beginner's thread.
    The fifth rule of this routine is STICK TO THE ROUTINE.

Or something. Anyways. Just stick to it, you'll do fine. If you find you're lacking after a few cycles, check back and see what you can add. But don't mess with a good thing, at all.
    I see, kinda makes sense. The reason I decided to check this routine out is because I've been progressing in the Squats at a phase of 5kg a week (for 5 reps), and I already improved in about 30lbs (which is not a lot but still) and I feel like I can sustain this phase. The only problem is that I wasn't improving in the other lifts.
    So would it really defeat the purpose of doing this program if the only thing I change are the Squats? Like you said "why mess with a good thing" the Squats were going good and the other lifts weren't. Another problem is that Squats require A LOT of focus for me, and I can't focus a lot for over 10 reps.

Also I'm doing a pullup routine on separate times, is it okay (by okay I mean whether it will not hurt gains a lot) to do them the lighter days? Please notice the Pull-ups aren't a part of my weightlifting workouts.
    I just really want to improve my pull-ups.
    If it helps it's not an extremely hard pull-up routine just something that's made to make you improve in reps over time.
    Last edited by HulkyNoob; 04-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Follow my log at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129192371

MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MatTheCur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HulkyNoob View Post
    I see, kinda makes sense. The reasons I decided to check this routine out is because I've been progressing in the Squats at a phase of 5kg a week (for 5 reps), and I already improved in about 30lbs (which is not a lot but still) and I feel like I can sustain this phase. The only problem is that I wasn't improving in the other lifts.
    So would it really defeat the purpose of doing this program if the only thing I change are the Squats? Like you said "why mess with a good thing" the Squats were going good and the other lifts weren't. Another problem is that Squats require A LOT of focus for me, and I can't focus a lot for over 10 reps.
    The rep scheme is designed to help even out strength and endurance gains. it's easy to follow, and if you have your true 10RM, you'll be getting stronger no matter what. If you keep going with the scheme that you want, your squats will still be disproportionate to everything else you're doing.

The other thing this program does, is evens out lifts eventually. Notice I didn't say "right away", because as with all things, it takes time. As for focusing over 10 reps... I know that it sounds like a bit of a chore, but let me tell you that by the time you hit weeks 4 and 5, you will be focused and feeling it. It's fun, because you're breaking boundaries, becoming stronger and getting more endurance, which you can gauge!

I'd really, honestly say this: Do the program as it's written. Go out and get your 10RM for all the lifts/presses/pulls and squats. Do the program for a cycle or two. Most you'll lose out on is a few weeks of progressive weight training. Do remember that this routine is designed to help you grow, but it's also to help you get to a point where you can move on to intermediate programs, and grow even more.

Also I'm doing a pullup routine on separate times, is it okay (by okay I mean whether it will not hurt gains a lot) hurt to do them the lighter days? Please notice the Pull-ups aren't a part of my weightlifting workouts.
    I just really want to improve my pull-ups.
    If it helps it's not an extremely hard pull-up routine just something that's made to make you improve in reps over time.
    Rest days are rest days. You'll notice a difference if you're doing exercises involving the muscles you've been working out on your rest days. If you're talking about doing them only on the medium/light days ... Well... you could try adding one set to the end of the workout, but I'm pretty sure that you'll be wiped by then.

Again, give the program a few cycles... Watch your weights go up a bit... THEN decided whether or not you want to add things to the end of the routine. You might be surprised, like I was with my push ups.

(basically, I could never do more than 5-10 push ups without struggling a LOT after 5. Now I can pump out ~25 if I really push myself after 20. But I haven't been doing them regularly on my off days, and I can feel my triceps screaming at me if I do them the day after a heavy)

-----> Come join me in my log on bb.com!: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150246533

HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The rep scheme is designed to help even out strength and endurance gains. it's easy to follow, and if you have your true 10RM, you'll be getting stronger no matter what. If you keep going with the scheme that you want, your squats will still be disproportionate to everything else you're doing.

The other thing this program does, is evens out lifts eventually. Notice I didn't say "right away", because as with all things, it takes time. As for focusing over 10 reps... I know that it sounds like a bit of a chore, but let me tell you that by the time you hit weeks 4 and 5, you will be focused and feeling it. It's fun, because you're breaking boundaries, becoming stronger and getting more endurance, which you can gauge!

I'd really, honestly say this: Do the program as it's written. Go out and get your 10RM for all the lifts/presses/pulls and squats. Do the program for a cycle or two. Most you'll lose out on is a few weeks of progressive weight training. Do remember that this routine is designed to help you grow, but it's also to help you get to a point where you can move on to intermediate programs, and grow even more.

Rest days are rest days. You'll notice a difference if you're doing exercises involving the muscles you've been working out on your rest days. If you're talking about doing them only on the medium/light days ... Well... you could try adding one set to the end of the workout, but I'm pretty sure that you'll be wiped by then.

Again, give the program a few cycles... Watch your weights go up a bit... THEN decided whether or not you want to add things to the end of the routine. You might be surprised, like I was with my push ups.

(basically, I could never do more than 5-10 push ups without struggling a LOT after 5. Now I can pump out ~25 if I really push myself after 20. But I haven't been doing them regularly on my off days, and I can feel my triceps screaming at me if I do them the day after a heavy)
    Thanks for not giving up on me on the first post, HAHA.
    Anyway I have another option for another program that's based on weekly improvement for beginners. I will try to decide between the two.

Also two more question:
    1. I'm doing HIIT two times a week so far my Squats have been going up, so does it mean I can keep on doing them? I also do cardio, I need to generally keep my fitness level up.

2. Will this program also improve my speed? I heard that low rep ranges help, but I was wondering whether it's also not a bad option? I want to improve my speed as a byproduct it's certainly not my only concern.

Thanks for not giving up on me on the first post, HAHA.
    Anyway I have another option for another program that's based on weekly improvement for beginners. I will try to decide between the two.

Also two more question:
    1. I'm doing HIIT two times a week so far my Squats have been going up, so does it mean I can keep on doing them? I also do cardio, I need to generally keep my fitness level up.
    HIIT is fine ... Sustained cardio is what eats at the muscles. So, yaay HIIT, keep regular cardio to a minimum if possible.

2. Will this program also improve my speed? I heard that low rep ranges help, but I was wondering whether it's also not a bad option? I want to improve my speed as a byproduct it's certainly not my only concern.
    I don't know if it'll really touch anything related to speed ... However, I'm guessing that, as it does help with muscular endurance, your speed will probably increase slightly. But really, there's nothing in here that focuses on bursts or speed. It really is a routine to get your entire body working, all of your majour muscles growing (I'm Canadian, sue me :P), your endurance up, and finally your balance/core up to snuff.

HIIT is fine ... Sustained cardio is what eats at the muscles. So, yaay HIIT, keep regular cardio to a minimum if possible.

I don't know if it'll really touch anything related to speed ... However, I'm guessing that, as it does help with muscular endurance, your speed will probably increase slightly. But really, there's nothing in here that focuses on bursts or speed. It really is a routine to get your entire body working, all of your majour muscles growing (I'm Canadian, sue me :P), your endurance up, and finally your balance/core up to snuff.
    I see, thanks. Also by endurance you mean strength endurance, right?

I see, thanks. Also by endurance you mean strength endurance, right?
    The ability to do your 10RM twice ... I would suppose that's strength endurance. I'm not up to speed with the terms yet

I may help, but I'm still learning, too!

The ability to do your 10RM twice ... I would suppose that's strength endurance. I'm not up to speed with the terms yet

I may help, but I'm still learning, too!
    I see..

Well max speed is generally how much power you're able to generate onto the ground compared to your bodyweight. And power is strength and twitching speed of the muscle.

I see..

Well max speed is generally how much power you're able to generate onto the ground compared to your bodyweight. And power is strength and twitching speed of the muscle.
    I gotcha.

I think all pro would be better suited to answer that, though I would hazard a guess that the only thing not being worked really, is explosive power (ie: power cleans, etc).

Registered User lalalalakerss24's Avatar
    lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000) lalalalakerss24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anybody feel after working out, they feel something in the knee (cause of squats). Not pain but you feel "it" around your knee caps. Or is it just me?

Originally Posted by lalalalakerss24 View Post
    Does anybody feel after working out, they feel something in the knee (cause of squats). Not pain but you feel "it" around your knee caps. Or is it just me?
    I had that too ... I've started bodyweight squats before doing my work sets. Nice deep ATG squats, then pushing out my knees at the bottom of the movement.

Helps the ad(ab?)ductors, too. Give it a shot, maybe do a bit more dynamic stretching.

jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like John said, don't go stupid crazy... There is such a thing as going backwards with your training ... When your body runs out of things to use for energy, it starts OM NOM NOMing on your protein stores/muscles... Don't want that happening.
    yea i hadnt planned to do it this way but an unexpected holiday and a streak of vanity is forcing my hand my bf had jumped in the first cycle as i had really uped my cals but now ive dropped just below maintenace,
    bare in mind i work in an office so my expendature during the day is quite low so
    @the end of the day ill see how i get on have the holiday and when i get bk ill start the program again on a bulk hopfully with a lower bf so ill aim for lean gains

ive got years to get it right so as long as im training im not getting any un-fitter so i can only improve i hope

Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had that too ... I've started bodyweight squats before doing my work sets. Nice deep ATG squats, then pushing out my knees at the bottom of the movement.

Helps the ad(ab?)ductors, too. Give it a shot, maybe do a bit more dynamic stretching.
    I was having that feeling in my knees as well and just overall problems. I got a knee brace, started doing bodyweight squats before doing the work sets and warmup sets, and I haven't had a problem since!

jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnblythe View Post
    make sure to not overdo it with insanity + deficit + weight training!
    i look at it the other way john deficit+weight training then i guage my energy levels/general muscle fatigue if ok + insanity
    im not following insanity to the letter mon -fri if i feel ok 2days rest
    weights m/w/f

hows your cycle going?

johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000) johnblythe is just really nice. (+1000)
    i look at it the other way john deficit+weight training then i guage my energy levels/general muscle fatigue if ok + insanity
    im not following insanity to the letter mon -fri if i feel ok 2days rest
    weights m/w/f

hows your cycle going?
    gotcha, cool man. best of luck with it all.

my cycle is non-existent currently. finished up two great cycles, loved it, but was getting fidgety so i'm doing a quick experiment in bulking currently. strongly considering coming back to the program afterwards, but haven't come down on a decision quite yet.
    A better read than 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight combined, srsbrah: http://tinyurl.com/jblylifts

Originally Posted by Xyas View Post
    I was having that feeling in my knees as well and just overall problems. I got a knee brace, started doing bodyweight squats before doing the work sets and warmup sets, and I haven't had a problem since!
    Yeah ... I'm thinking about a brace too, for my left knee. Actually, I'll probably pick one up on my way home from work. And if I'm reading right, I'll need a prophylactic one, possibly a neoprene sleeve type.

I don't do the warm up sets any more *GASP* ... I do nice and deep ATG BW squats with my elbows pushing out my knees at the bottom. I do as many reps as is prescribed that week. I haven't had any problems either, other than the knee being silly.

Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xyas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah ... I'm thinking about a brace too, for my left knee. Actually, I'll probably pick one up on my way home from work. And if I'm reading right, I'll need a prophylactic one, possibly a neoprene sleeve type.

I don't do the warm up sets any more *GASP* ... I do nice and deep ATG BW squats with my elbows pushing out my knees at the bottom. I do as many reps as is prescribed that week. I haven't had any problems either, other than the knee being silly.
    I feel the brace has helped me a lot, just in giving me more stability and preventing some knee wobbliness, heheh. I went with a neoprene one as well. I love it.

mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So today was the heavy day for week 2. I went to the Dr. in the morning to look at my knee problem, and it turns out that he believes it's simply an Iliotibial band inflammation. It's a band that runs along the outside of the knee up to the hip. And since I've been off my feet for the better part of a year and a half, he thinks I jumped into doing deep squats too hard too fast, before I had enough hip strength...so my knee overcompensated, and that's why it hurt. Good news is, it's not really an injury...I just need to keep working on improving hip flexibility and strength. He says keep squatting with low weight until I am able to get the full range of motion without pain. He gave me an injection, and sent me off to the gym.

So today, I did squats again for the first time in a couple weeks. And I have to tell you, this did have an effect on my performance on the exercises I did AFTER the squats. I had a harder time than expected getting my 9 reps on some exercises...and on my SLDL's, I failed at 6 reps on the second work set with the weight I had been using.

On my bent over rows, my legs were actually shaking just from holding the bent leg position and keeping my back straight. Now I know why squats are done first.

I also have a feeling that I"ll be failing on my overhead press soon. I had a hell of a time getting the 9th rep up today on the last set. Bench press and curls were easy.

I have to find a way to do the calf raises. I tried standing on a block in the squat rack, but the block we have there at the gym was kinda flipping back from the weight. So I might just start doing them seated.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I see..

What is it that you are training for. Is it a sport? If so this is the wrong program.
    There are 3 different components of speed,
    Starting speed
    Maximum speed
    Reversible speed
    They each have to be trained for a little differently and in combination with each other to get the best result.

Originally Posted by mmapcpro View Post
    So today was the heavy day for week 2. I went to the Dr. in the morning to look at my knee problem, and it turns out that he believes it's simply an Iliotibial band inflammation. It's a band that runs along the outside of the knee up to the hip. And since I've been off my feet for the better part of a year and a half, he thinks I jumped into doing deep squats too hard too fast, before I had enough hip strength...so my knee overcompensated, and that's why it hurt. Good news is, it's not really an injury...I just need to keep working on improving hip flexibility and strength. He says keep squatting with low weight until I am able to get the full range of motion without pain. He gave me an injection, and sent me off to the gym.

So today, I did squats again for the first time in a couple weeks. And I have to tell you, this did have an effect on my performance on the exercises I did AFTER the squats. I had a harder time than expected getting my 9 reps on some exercises...and on my SLDL's, I failed at 6 reps on the second work set with the weight I had been using.

On my bent over rows, my legs were actually shaking just from holding the bent leg position and keeping my back straight. Now I know why squats are done first.

I also have a feeling that I"ll be failing on my overhead press soon. I had a hell of a time getting the 9th rep up today on the last set. Bench press and curls were easy.

I have to find a way to do the calf raises. I tried standing on a block in the squat rack, but the block we have there at the gym was kinda flipping back from the weight. So I might just start doing them seated.
    Just toss a 45lb plate on the ground, and do them off of that. Glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious ... As an aside, was there something bulging at the outside of your knee when you bent it? Or was it completely a different scenario?

mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just toss a 45lb plate on the ground, and do them off of that. Glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious ... As an aside, was there something bulging at the outside of your knee when you bent it? Or was it completely a different scenario?
    No, it was just like a stabbing pain to the outside (and inside) of the knee cap. And the pain would radiate upward along the outside of the thigh up to my hip.

nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nexues97 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    started week 2 today, and 8th/9th rep was hella hard to get up, but i did it. Thanks for the routine happy not to be doing random bs while at the gym now.

Low-life street hobo. courtsidebum's Avatar
    courtsidebum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Walk before you run That's why you'll hear a lot of us saying, "It's better to go lighter!". Don't worry, though. Your body knows how much is enough, and it'll tell you.

I like to warm up with body weight squats, just to get the joints moving. I've never really done squats before, so while not being as shaky as you described, it was still quite a challenge. Take it slow, take it easy, and you'll get it.

Do make sure that you're squeezing your upper back together (like trying to make your shoulder plates touch). That will give you a more solid foundation on which to place the bar, and will also alleviate any neck pain. As for your arm hurting, make sure that you are NOT supporting the weight with your arms. Your hands should be on top of the bar, not underneath, and resting. They do nothing more than keep the bar straight. Your shoulders/back should be holding all of the weight.

After 4 cycles, oui. Go ahead with a set after the workout, like all pro said. You could also switch to an EZ-curl bar for your barbell curls. I was told that they help out forearms also.

Yeah, we had a discussion about it a while back in the first thread ... We talked about dropping the warm up sets for OHP, too, and I think all pro conceded it. So if you ever come back to it, just warm up for squats/bench/rows.

You're not doing the program. Re-read the first couple of posts in this thread, or in the original, because your lesson's wrong.

Don't start out with cardio, do dynamic stretching.
    Don't be doing 9 reps when on your first day of the first week you should be doing 8.
    Don't change your weights mid work set.
    Don't mix up the order of the exercises.
    Unless you don't have access to a barbell, don't use dumbbells.
    Do all of the exercises.

I almost feel like I'm giving out the rules for Fight Club!
    I apologize. I'm still struggling though as this will be the first time that I will doing this. I'll see what I can do. Imma back read again haha. Thanks, sires!

I use one of those step aerobics things to give me a few inches. Try one of those, see if that helps!

Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamal123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    are the curls sitting curles or standing curles cause this whole time ive been doing standing barbell curles am i doing the right one? and which is better?

KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is using dumbells still sticking to the routine

Originally Posted by KenChampion View Post
    is using dumbells still sticking to the routine
    if you stick to the exercises, yes. though OP does push for using barbell if at all possible, dumbbells are permissible.

lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ive just started my 1st cycle and for one exercise i couldnt get my 2nd set of 9 on military press. I checked multiple sights and i calculated my 10 rep max right. Im trying to lose weight so maybe thats the cause. I have a question should i start the whole cycle over or add less weight. Any help would be very much appreciated.

wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Finished Week 5/heavy day/cycle 2. Completed all.
    Was really concerned after my light day on Friday.
    But I got em all. Whew. I'm so ready to smoke these last two workouts and get on to cycle 3. So many people talk about cycle 3 being the real start. Where I really start seeing some changes.
    Even though I'm seeing some right now. My traps and lats where the first things i noticed. Then my tris and bis. Not alot, just some definition. And my off days have been ab and cardio. I can see the top two sections of my ab muscles popping out a bit. And can feel the others. My legs have always been strong and I can really see good gains in my thighs and calfs.
    Again i just want to restate, be careful with running too much with this routine. I was running 3 miles on my 3 off days. In the beginning all was good. Then came last Friday. The day after a hard run on Thursday. My legs were so fatigued I was starting to think i may fail on my light day, no less. Squats and SLDL. BOR wasnt too much fun either. I just felt sapped. But I squeezed them out.
    And on Saturday and Sunday I did nothing. And smoked every set of week 5. Wasnt even really a concern on any of them. NO Xplode didnt hurt either.
    just my 2¢

Closed Thread