kmosher1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Half Marathon Training while Lifting

Okay, not too sure if this thread has already been created, but I really want some advice on when I should be lifting.

Ive been working out now for about 16 months, slow gains since I am constantly active. I started working out November 2010 at about 125, now April 6th I am at 160ish, with the combination of late puberty and weigh protein I have seen myself completely transform. Ive hit a rough patch though, back in September our Universities gym was closed for renovation and Ive had to use free-weights. The free-weights are amazing the name of them are Power-block and they stack up to 45 or 50lbs.

Anyway to make a long story short I started training for my half marathon that I will be competing in on June 12th (lake Placid), and I was wondering what workout routine I should be doing? considering I am racking up the miles each week. Im on week 4 of the training plan and from here on out I'll be running 22+ miles a week.

I would,in my head love to gain mass, but it will be insanely difficult to gain while running that much, so what should my workout plan be in terms of lifting? I heard bodyweight training is where I should be focusing such as dips/pullups/pushups with pull/ wall sits while curling.

Here is My running plan:
    Monday, Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday. Saturdays I cannot lift because those are my distance days where I'll be running 8+ miles for the next 2-3 months.

Here WAS my workout plan before running:
    Monday - Biceps Shoulders
    Wednesday - Back/Chest/Triceps
    Friday - Biceps/shoulders
    Saturday - Back/Chest/Triceps
    On the off days I focused on my abs, doing around 200 situps and 100 leg lifts

I would love for someone to push me in the right direction in terms of my workout and on which days. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

anyone?

seriously nobody?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I used to be a runner. (Old injuries prevent me from running very far now.)

I was running 8-12 miles per day and decided to add weight lifting to my routine. I continued to run or bike every day - I also bought a road bike during that time - but went to the gym and lifted 3-4 days per week. During that period, I set a PR in the 10k and also ran a marathon. I set a PR for the marathon too.

Over training is a definite possibility though. Listen to your body and back off a bit if you're feeling tired and unmotivated. You also have to decide what's more important to you, bulking up or doing well in your race. If the race is more important to you then focus more on running. Don't stop lifting, but cut back the intensity somewhat.

That's my advice...

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I used to be a runner. (Old injuries prevent me from running very far now.)

I was running 8-12 miles per day and decided to add weight lifting to my routine. I continued to run or bike every day - I also bought a road bike during that time - but went to the gym and lifted 3-4 days per week. During that period, I set a PR in the 10k and also ran a marathon. I set a PR for the marathon too.

Over training is a definite possibility though. Listen to your body and back off a bit if you're feeling tired and unmotivated. You also have to decide what's more important to you, bulking up or doing well in your race. If the race is more important to you then focus more on running. Don't stop lifting, but cut back the intensity somewhat.

That's my advice...
    Thank you for the reply and advice