Darkbound is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Switching back to carbs after 1 year on keto

Hey guys!
    I've been on keto for almost a year now and during the first ~4 months I lost ~50lbs of weight, after that the weight loss kinda stopped, but my appearance continued to change.
    A little backstory:
    About a month ago I started going to the gym (my first time ever was in October/November 2018 and then I stopped) and I started with the 5x5 Stronglifts program, I simply wanted to get stronger. As the weight kept increasing I got worried that I may not be doing the exercises correctly and I was afraid that I may injure myself, so I hired a coach to watch and guide me, he is a bodybuilder who has won some championships. Turns out that I am doing the exercises correctly, but obviously I was nowhere near my current limits lets say. From the first day he showed me that I am perfectly capable of squatting 264 lbs for a set of 5 (of course not for 5 sets of 5, but still the sets with him were very impressive). I loved his coaching style and I want to continue working with him. The issue is that if I want to continue working under his guidance, I have to switch to his training AND eating ways. Initially I was reluctant to let go of 5x5 simply because I wanted to complete it before moving on, but that quickly changed. The eating is where the problem comes from, he is not familiar with keto, actually nowhere in my area is and he is not willing to coach me with me being on keto, and he admits that this is simply because he doesnt understand it and has no experience with it. Me personally, I kept doing it, because I liked that all my cravings go away, all my hormones get balanced, I feel very balanced overall, I have not had an "upset stomach" ever since I started keto and even my friends noticed that, I have not gotten sick (not even a cold) since I started keto, just a headache once or twice, no hunger I can keep doing something without being interrupted by unimaginable/unbearable hunger, you know how it is.

Initially I had the dilemma of if I should lie to him (which I didnt want to do) stay on keto, eat enough protein and pretend that I am eating carbs, on that one I have decided to give carbs a try (also for the "reference experience" and just to remind myself what awaits on the other side, even if you do it cleanly without junk food, if things dont end well).

So here are my questions:
    1. If things dont go well while I am on carbs (and I am willing to give them up to a month to allow for some readjustment time) and I switch back to keto, will I be able to perform as well as I supposedly will on carbs?
    2. I've read on several places that keto is not good for high rep sets, is that true? That is why I chose the 5x5 initially.
    3. If anyone has attempted these kinds of switches after prolonged keto, what was your experience? I was really reluctant at first, and still am, but I am trying to be less arrogant and am trying to be open to new things

Thanks
    Last edited by Darkbound; 03-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Darkbound View Post
    I've been on keto for almost a year now and during the first ~4 months I lost ~50lbs of weight, after that the weight loss kinda stopped, but my appearance continued to change.
    Impressive

That is a huge weight loss

I loved his coaching style and I want to continue working with him. The issue is that if I want to continue working under his guidance, I have to switch to his training AND eating ways. Initially I was reluctant to let go of 5x5 simply because I wanted to complete it before moving on, but that quickly changed. The eating is where the problem comes from, he is not familiar with keto, actually nowhere in my area is and he is not willing to coach me with me being on keto, and he admits that this is simply because he doesnt understand it and has no experience with it.
    Doesn't Know or Understand The Ketogenic Diet

We'll at least he told you up front that he doesn't know or understand the Keto Diet, few really do.

That mean he is not familiar how to write an effective Ketogenic Diet Training Program, which involves...

The Three Energy Systems

1) The Pho****en Energy System: This work off ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) with movement that last up to thirty seconds. However, most ATP is depleted in around 15 seconds with high intensity sets.

ATP doesn't run off ketones nor glucose. Thus, training in the Phos****en Energy System work equally for individual on the Ketogenic Diet and High Carbohydrate/Traditional Western Diet.

Ketogenic Diet Resistance Training

For individual on the Ketogenic Diet, Resistance Training needs to be performed with repetition that take less than 30 seconds per set, rep completed in around 15 seconds is even better.

Resistance Training that falls into this time restriction are...

Limit Strength, Power and Speed Training.

2) The Glycolytic Energy System. This involves sports and activities that last 30 second up to 2.5 minutes.

These sports are activities require glucose for energy.

Hypertrophy Strength Training usually falls into the Glycolytic Energy System; requiring a higher carbohydrate/glucose diet rather than Keto Diet.

With that said, for someone on a Ketogenic Diet, there is a way to "Hack the Hypertrophy System" with...

Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training

Cluster Set are set within a set, so to speak. That means short rest period are taken between every few repetition in a set.

Cluster Set Bench Press Example

Cluster Set: 3 Repetitions

Rest Period: 20 seconds

That completes one Cluster Set.

Total Reps: 15 in the Cluster Set

The Purpose

Research shows that ATP to the muscles is restored when short rest period are taken between repetition in a set; up to 50% is restored in 30 seconds and around 80% is restored in a rest period of 45 seconds.

Thus, Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training allows you to perform as many repetitions as in a Traditional Hypertrophy/BodyBuilding Set; it allows you to "Hack the system".

Your Trainer

This is something your Trainer isn't going to know.

Me personally, I kept doing it, because I liked that all my cravings go away, all my hormones get balanced, I feel very balanced overall, I have not had an "upset stomach" ever since I started keto and even my friends noticed that, I have not gotten sick (not even a cold) since I started keto, just a headache once or twice, no hunger I can keep doing something without being interrupted by unimaginable/unbearable hunger, you know how it is.
    "If it ain't broke...[/b]

if something is working for you, why would you change it?

Initially I had the dilemma of if I should lie to him (which I didnt want to do) stay on keto, eat enough protein and pretend that I am eating carbs, on that one I have decided to give carbs a try (also for the "reference experience" and just to remind myself what awaits on the other side, even if you do it cleanly without junk food, if things dont end well).
    The Dilemma

1) I am not a fan of lying but I have some empathy for you. It's your call.

2) The program he writes up for you will probably work to some extent. However, it's not geared toward the Ketogenic Diet, it's not going to be as effective as it could be.

It will be like using a crescent wrench to drive a nail rather than a hammer.

So here are my questions:
    1. If things dont go well while I am on carbs (and I am willing to give them up to a month to allow for some readjustment time) and I switch back to keto, will I be able to perform as well as I supposedly will on carbs?
    That is an option. However, as you realize some adaptation time is required to get back into ketosis, a small issue.

. I've read on several places that keto is not good for high rep sets, is that true? That is why I chose the 5x5 initially.
    Correct. Higher repetitions are dependent on glucose. Individual in Glycolytic sports or activities need to maintain a fairly high carbohydrate diet.

3. If anyone has attempted these kinds of switches after prolonged keto, what was your experience? I was really reluctant at first, and still am, but I am trying to be less arrogant and am trying to be open to new things
    Again, I understand your dilemma. However, if the Ketogenic Diet is working for you and you like the diet, is it worth switching?

Only you can answer that question.

My Personal Experience

Due to a metabolic health condition, I've been on the Ketogenic Diet for almost three years. I like the diet and feel better on it than when I was on the Traditional Western Diet.

In a visit to another doctor about a separate issue, he stated that to see him, I would need to get off the Ketogenic Diet, a diet he knew nothing about. If I didn't comply, he would not see me.

So, my dilemma was somewhat like your. I though about lying but didn't want to do that.

So, I decided to no go back to that doctor.

Initially, I trained the same on the Ketogenic Diet as I had on the Traditional Western Diet. My training was quite the same.

What I found was that training on the Ketogenic Diet requires a different approach; some of that information provide above.

"The Complete Guide To Exercise On The Ketogenic Diet"
    https://www.ruled.me/complete-guide-...etogenic-diet/

This is a great article that goes into it.

Another Alternative

As you may know, Intermittent Fasting is a cousin to the Ketogenic Diet.

Intermittent Fasting provides some of the same benefits as the Ketogenic Diet.

If you decide to go back to a higher carbohydrate diet, Intermittent Fasting would be my suggestion as the most effective alternative.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 03-11-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

Darkbound is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kennycroxdale View Post
    Impressive

That is a huge weight loss
    Hi Keny thank you for the long and detailed explanation.
    As I said in my initial post, I decided to give it a try and for a month now I've been following his meal plan, which is pretty standard, 5 meals, rice, oatmeals, eggs, chicken, fish, and lean red meat.
    Here is what happened:
    Pros (most are surprising to me):
    - I feel more energetic
    - I actually started waking up earlier without an alarm clock
    - I am gaining muscle and becoming stronger

Cons:
    - My stomach gets upset and I have gas regularly, I rarely ever experienced that on keto
    - I have to cook all the time, I was cooking on keto but 1-2 meals, this is becoming like a half-day job
    - Being able to eat carbs opens the door to sugar and junk food, because its not as "dangerous" as on keto I am allowing it from time to time, in a sense it requires more willpower to avoid than on keto
    - I experience hunger from time to time, but its not unbearable and passes quickly, could be that I can handle it easily due to my experience with IF (I did 2x 1month of OMAD at 1200 calories in the past).

The energy and waking up pros could be due to other factors that changed in my life, but it did happen right when I switched to carbs.

That being said I will stick to it for a little while longer, maybe another month or two, that will build a stronger relationship between me and him, and I may be able to convince him to at least test keto with me, because I am planning to go back to it at some point, and I don't think I can find a better trainer than him in my city.

Thanks for the help!

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    I may be able to convince him to at least test keto with me, because I am planning to go back to it at some point, and I don't think I can find a better trainer than him in my city.
    Glad to hear having carbohydrate is going well for you and that your trainer is helping you.

However, you're not going to sway him to test Keto. That because he's had success with his present diet. He lacks knowledge on how Keto works. And he has no idea of how to training on Keto.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.