Thread: Vertical Jump

beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beginner012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Vertical Jump

Hi mates. I want to increase my vertical jump for basketball but at the same time, I am interested in bodybuilding so is there any way I can incorporate a vertical jump program into my workout? Thanks,

Registered User jesseirizarry87's Avatar
    jesseirizarry87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by beginner012 View Post
    Hi mates. I want to increase my vertical jump for basketball but at the same time, I am interested in bodybuilding so is there any way I can incorporate a vertical jump program into my workout? Thanks,
    Absolutely, building a good vertical jump takes explosiveness and a strong posterior chain (i.e. the muscles involved in hip extension- glues,hamstrings, calfs). Some of the best exercised to do this are romanian deadlifts, reverse hyper extensions, trap bar deadlifts and olympic movements like snatches done properly. The other important aspect is to practice doing weighted sqaut jumps and depth jumps to build explosiveness.

Stretching your hip flexors on a consistent basis is often an overlooked way to get full hip extension in your jumps- making them more powerful.

I would suggest having a day completely dedicated to this in the beginning of the week (ex. Sunday) and then have your regular leg day in the middle to end of the week (i.e Wenesday or Thursday)

It will not slow your leg growth for bodybuilding and will probably make your legs bigger and most defined. Most NFL and collegiate players do the workout I described above for their verticals and they have legs that would make a bodybuilder jealous.

Any questions about this, I'm here to help.
    Jesse Irizarry, CSCS, USAW L1
    JDI Strength / JDI Barbell
    917) 819-5017
    43-01 21st Street
    Long Island City, NY 11101
    www.jdistrength.com