Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat guy in a little coat. jdmt37's Avatar
    jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Damn! No more carb loading for me!

Just diagnosed type 2 diabetc. Fasting blood suger at 128. SUCKS! I hate the lancet pen. I've nicknamed it the demon pencil.
    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry man. At least you found out about it before any major issues.

Seen some pretty big folks come through her with the diabetus. I predict you will be one of them.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

My mesomorph has awakened GreaseMark's Avatar
    GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GreaseMark has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's why a balanced diet is always best. Extreme diets focused on one kind of food source often lead to problems.

Is this an at home test kit? Were you checking your levels before you started carb loading?

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Just diagnosed type 2 diabetc. Fasting blood suger at 128. SUCKS! I hate the lancet pen. I've nicknamed it the demon pencil.
    Fasted at 128? Hell, my fasted was almost 400. Mine now is 92. Lost 88lbs. Man, I'd bet if you drop a few lbs and modify the diet, no more lancets, or meds (if you are on them). I got rid of all that jazz. Life IS good with no more testing.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you on any statins? I've been reading how they can elevate blood sugar and make it seem as if patients had type 2.

jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdmt37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not on any meds other than lisonipril, and now meformin. Never really carb loaded, just an expression. Have cut the carbs out, and dropping some lbs. Now it's checking low 100's. Man i love my pasta and taters!! hahahah gonna miss them.
    Thanks everybody!
    -John Wayne

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I called my second husband's lancet "devil's dick"
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not on any meds other than lisonipril, and now meformin. Never really carb loaded, just an expression. Have cut the carbs out, and dropping some lbs. Now it's checking low 100's. Man i love my pasta and taters!! hahahah gonna miss them.
    Thanks everybody!
    My daughter is on metformin for PCOS and syndrome X. She's lost about 30 lbs + and is having periods on her own now whereas before she couldn't (sorry for female bodily function reference here but it is to illustrate a point). Am thinking PCOS is not the issue, it was syndrome X all along. Anyway even though she was only eating about 1300 cal a day she couldn't lose weight. since the metformin her carb cravings reduced and like I said, she lost a lot of weight.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    My daughter is on metformin for PCOS and syndrome X. She's lost about 30 lbs + and is having periods on her own now whereas before she couldn't (sorry for female bodily function reference here but it is to illustrate a point). Am thinking PCOS is not the issue, it was syndrome X all along. Anyway even though she was only eating about 1300 cal a day she couldn't lose weight. since the metformin her carb cravings reduced and like I said, she lost a lot of weight.
    Good for her! I've been on the Met for about a week now. I was 238 last weigh in, doc want's me to drop 20. We'll see what happens. May have to start lifing light?
    -John Wayne

Good for her! I've been on the Met for about a week now. I was 238 last weigh in, doc want's me to drop 20. We'll see what happens. May have to start lifing light?
    I wouldn't let what you have change the way you are currently exercising at all! I don't know if you are doing cardio, but since there is a push by your doc to drop weight you might want to incorporate some now. You can always dial it back or cut it out altogether once you've lost the weight and maybe even dump the meds! What you have is basically pre-diabetic condition. You CAN turn this around for yourself and get off the meds. You just need to be careful with your diet and weight.

You'll probably have your liver enzymes checked every so often too - metformin builds up in the liver (much like everything else) and your dose might need to be dialed back if so.

Yours is a case of too much insulin, just like my daughter. She had telltale visible markers which tipped ME off (I do my internet research lol - I trust no dr to do their job any more) - yet two drs didn't even recognize. I had to point it out to her female dr, who was giving her birth control pills at age 13 to get her to have periods. They said she had PCOS without a full diagnosis - with the visible physicial markers blaringly evident for all to see.

I told the female dr to sh!t or get off the pot - ultrasound her ovaries to see if they were truly polycystic or send us to an endocrinologist because what ***I*** saw was syndrome X. It was, and now all is good. Sheesh!

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, look for Dreamfields pasta, it has only 5 carbs per serving and you cannot tell it from the real stuff.

I would recommend you read the book Why we get fat:And what to do about it by Gary Taubes. By the title you would guess it to be a diet book, but in fact it is a book about the science behind low carb diets. Or to put it another way, the lack of science behind a low fat diet and all the harm it has caused.

You can also watch the movie Fat Head on Hulu for free. It covers some of what Gary Taubes has been writing about, but is more the anti Super Size Me. Spend the hour and a half and watch it, then buy the book and read it.

I know, I know, Cholesterol is bad, saturated fat is bad.... it's not the case. Balanced diets aren't it either. We weren't created/didn't evolve (your pick) to eat the types of carbs that our so called leaders recommend as the primary basis of a healthy diet. Most, if not all of the research on this subject has been financed by the businesses who profit from selling carb loaded garbage. Even the American Heart Association make their money from licensing their heart healthy labels to those same companies.

They spend millions on studies trying to prove low fat is healthier and after what, 50 years now they have failed over and over. In fact most of these studies point to a low fat carb rich diet as being the primary cause of many of the modern western deceases such as diabetes.

Read the book, it will open your eyes!

I am rarely serious on this site. I am completely serious about this post!
    Last edited by SP1966; 03-31-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    I'm a sad little man

I wouldn't let what you have change the way you are currently exercising at all! I don't know if you are doing cardio, but since there is a push by your doc to drop weight you might want to incorporate some now. You can always dial it back or cut it out altogether once you've lost the weight and maybe even dump the meds! What you have is basically pre-diabetic condition. You CAN turn this around for yourself and get off the meds. You just need to be careful with your diet and weight.

You'll probably have your liver enzymes checked every so often too - metformin builds up in the liver (much like everything else) and your dose might need to be dialed back if so.

Yours is a case of too much insulin, just like my daughter. She had telltale visible markers which tipped ME off (I do my internet research lol - I trust no dr to do their job any more) - yet two drs didn't even recognize. I had to point it out to her female dr, who was giving her birth control pills at age 13 to get her to have periods. They said she had PCOS without a full diagnosis - with the visible physicial markers blaringly evident for all to see.

I told the female dr to sh!t or get off the pot - ultrasound her ovaries to see if they were truly polycystic or send us to an endocrinologist because what ***I*** saw was syndrome X. It was, and now all is good. Sheesh!
    Glad your daughter doing well!
    Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    OP, look for Dreamfields pasta, it has only 5 carbs per serving and you cannot tell it from the real stuff.

I would recommend you read the book Why we get fat:And what to do about it by Gary Taubes. By the title you would guess it to be a diet book, but in fact it is a book about the science behind low carb diets. Or to put it another way, the lack of science behind a low fat diet and all the harm it has caused.

You can also watch the movie Fat Head on Hulu for free. It covers some of what Gary Taubes has been writing about, but is more the anti Super Size Me. Spend the hour and a half and watch it, then buy the book and read it.

I know, I know, Cholesterol is bad, saturated fat is bad.... it's not the case. Balanced diets aren't it either. We weren't created/didn't evolve (your pick) to eat the types of carbs that our so called leaders recommend as the primary basis of a healthy diet. Most, if not all of the research on this subject has been financed by the businesses who profit from selling carb loaded garbage. Even the American Heart Association make their money from licensing their heart healthy labels to those same companies.

They spend millions on studies trying to prove low fat is healthier and after what, 50 years now they have failed over and over. In fact most of these studies point to a low fat carb rich diet as being the primary cause of many of the modern western deceases such as diabetes.

Will do that tonight. Thanks!
    -John Wayne

I am going to look into this too, thanks Steve. I am in a quandry. I feel that my body cannot digest carbs like I used to be able to. I did a low carb diet per a fellow bb'er bud and I got my weight down to about 121 and lean at post-50 years of age. I felt great - mind clear, strong, etc - not what I would have guessed. Prior to that I tried to lose but eating a lot of carbs and I felt sick all the time. Even oatmeal made me feel extremely nauseous. For some reason the low carb diet stopped working and I put on about 9 lbs without even doing anything different. Perhaps because I didn't do any cheats.

I have an appt today with an endocrinologist to figure out why in God's name I cannot lose weight no matter what I try. Thinking euthyroid sick syndrome, but not sure. If nothing is wrong I will probably try my hand at some form of ketogenic diet, but have to be careful with the saturated fat end of things as it DOES raise my cholesterol. cholesterol went up just from eating two whole eggs a day when I did low carb. It's a hereditary thing. I can use healthy oils and lean proteins I'm sure, just no bacon, eggs, and all the rest of that good stuff!

Sorry for the thread hijack lol.

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am going to look into this too, thanks Steve. I am in a quandry. I feel that my body cannot digest carbs like I used to be able to. I did a low carb diet per a fellow bb'er bud and I got my weight down to about 121 and lean at post-50 years of age. I felt great - mind clear, strong, etc - not what I would have guessed. Prior to that I tried to lose but eating a lot of carbs and I felt sick all the time. Even oatmeal made me feel extremely nauseous. For some reason the low carb diet stopped working and I put on about 9 lbs without even doing anything different. Perhaps because I didn't do any cheats.

I have an appt today with an endocrinologist to figure out why in God's name I cannot lose weight no matter what I try. Thinking euthyroid sick syndrome, but not sure. If nothing is wrong I will probably try my hand at some form of ketogenic diet, but have to be careful with the saturated fat end of things as it DOES raise my cholesterol. cholesterol went up just from eating two whole eggs a day when I did low carb. It's a hereditary thing. I can use healthy oils and lean proteins I'm sure, just no bacon, eggs, and all the rest of that good stuff!

Julie, that book is perfect for you and the struggles you are facing! It covers exactly what brought you to your current situation and how to deal with it. I have been strictly low carbing and I have never slept better in my life. My energy is spectacular. My mind (what there is of it) is clear. I have in the past always had a difficult time sitting still or staying focused but not since I cut out the carbs!

Excellent book for anybody, and I would love to hear your thoughts after you have read it!

You can get it on the Kindle for $9.99. If you don't own a Kindle (I don't) you can read it on their Mac or PC software which I do and it works great!!
    I'm a sad little man

but have to be careful with the saturated fat end of things as it DOES raise my cholesterol.cholesterol went up just from eating two whole eggs a day when I did low carb. It's a hereditary thing. I can use healthy oils and lean proteins I'm sure, just no bacon, eggs, and all the rest of that good stuff!

This is wrong. The research shows that low cholesterol in people over 50, and for the most part, women in general is a problem. Not high cholesterol. I didn't read that second paragraph until after my first response, sorry. Also, the basic cholesterol reading you most likely get are 100% useless unless they break down the so called bad cholesterol LDL into it's different types. Small LDL particles are the bad guys, and carbs are what create them, not fat!

Seriously, that book covers your concerns and problems 100%!! It's not magic, its just the honest science!!
    Last edited by SP1966; 03-31-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    I'm a sad little man

This is wrong. The research shows that low cholesterol in people over 50, and for the most part, women in general is a problem. Not high cholesterol. I didn't read that second paragraph until after my first response, sorry. Also, the basic cholesterol reading you most likely get are 100% useless unless they break down the so called bad cholesterol LDL into it's different types. Small LDL particles are the bad guys, and carbs are what create them, not fat!

Seriously, that book covers your concerns and problems 100%!! It's not magic, its just the honest science!!
    I saw the numbers. It went from really low to pretty damned high just from the eggs. I did an experiment and cut out one whole egg a day and it dropped almost 30 pts, still tho somewhat high for me. Good cholesterol went up due to fish oils and such but not enough to waylay the bad stuff. Soo...I have cut out the other egg yolk and just do egg white omelets in the am. If I do keto it will be, like I said, a lowered bad fats version til I can bend my mind around what I'm doing.

FWIW my dad died from heart disease - all 4 arteries were blocked and he had a massive heart attack. He ate wrong, smoked, drank, high stress and no exercise. Still, since my numbers went up from just the eggs I really don't wanna go out like he did.

Also, the initial test where the numbers went up was taken while I was doing low carb at less than or around 50 grams a day. argh.

I saw the numbers. It went from really low to pretty damned high just from the eggs. I did an experiment and cut out one whole egg a day and it dropped almost 30 pts, still tho somewhat high for me. Good cholesterol went up due to fish oils and such but not enough to waylay the bad stuff. Soo...I have cut out the other egg yolk and just do egg white omelets in the am. If I do keto it will be, like I said, a lowered bad fats version til I can bend my mind around what I'm doing.

FWIW my dad died from heart disease - all 4 arteries were blocked and he had a massive heart attack. He ate wrong, smoked, drank, high stress and no exercise. Still, since my numbers went up from just the eggs I really don't wanna go out like he did.

Also, the initial test where the numbers went up was taken while I was doing low carb at less than or around 50 grams a day. argh.
    But did they give you your cholesterol breakdown, or just the usual "your cholesterol is high" BS? The basic cholesterol reading is 100% useless. Higher cholesterol in women in particular is a positive.

I hear you on the family issues, read the book!
    I'm a sad little man

Ordered it.
    Last edited by jdmt37; 03-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    -John Wayne

But did they give you your cholesterol breakdown, or just the usual "your cholesterol is high" BS? The basic cholesterol reading is 100% useless. Higher cholesterol in women in particular is a positive.

I hear you on the family issues, read the book!
    I saw ldl v hdl if that's what you mean, but since I'm no expert, even if they showed the full panel I would be like, so what - and don't think for a minute I'm gonna take the poison you want me to, and for which you are prolly getting a kickback from big pharma. poison = cholesterol meds. no way jose, not today!!

my dr. said well you can try to lower via diet but it probably won't happen and if you want to continue to eat low carb, then I will medicate you to keep you alive. So when she saw the numbers were lowered by 30 pts just from eating one less egg a day she had to eat crow (which is no carb and high protein). Heh.

I saw ldl v hdl if that's what you mean, but since I'm no expert, even if they showed the full panel I would be like, so what - and don't think for a minute I'm gonna take the poison you want me to, and for which you are prolly getting a kickback from big pharma. poison = cholesterol meds. no way jose, not today!!

my dr. said well you can try to lower via diet but it probably won't happen and if you want to continue to eat low carb, then I will medicate you to keep you alive. So when she saw the numbers were lowered by 30 pts just from eating one less egg a day she had to eat crow (which is no carb and high protein). Heh.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I don't think most Doc's are prescribing it based solely on money, most still believe the low fat lie!

As for what I meant by breakdown on cholesterol I mean breaking down the type of LDL specifically. LDL in and of itself isn't bad, it's the type of LDL that can be bad. It's covered very well in the book I recommended.
    I'm a sad little man

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks everybody!
    You are on Meformin for 128 rested. Sht man, find a new doctor. You can drop that number with a slight (very slight) modification to your diet. Metformin (on a few occasions) dropped my Blood Sugar to 60, which is damn near coma time.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    You are on Meformin for 128 rested. Sht man, find a new doctor. You can drop that number with a slight (very slight) modification to your diet. Metformin (on a few occasions) dropped my Blood Sugar to 60, which is damn near coma time.
    Really? I've eating about 30-50 carbs a day now, and first roll out of bed this a/m my BG was 108. I take 500mg in the morning, and 500 in the evening. Been in it just over a week now. They say it takes 3 weeks to see any results from the met. I problably will drop it once i see what it does to me. Then just control it with diet and more cardio.
    -John Wayne

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For some reason the low carb diet stopped working and I put on about 9 lbs without even doing anything different. Perhaps because I didn't do any cheats.
    This happens to almost every client I have who decides they will go "low carb" to speed up weight loss. It's just water...there is a point where you can't get anymore water out. It's on to muscle at that point. Weight loss plateaus...frustration ensues...on high-carb cheat happens...9lbs of water sticks like glue and it's back to square one.

In my experience esults are rarely permanent on keto diets...great jump start but you have to have balance.

Disclaimer: everyone is different and results and reply based on personal experience and in no way covers all of humanity.

Mark
    The mind leads the body...get your head right and the body will follow

ACE CPT
    NFPT CPT
    NCSF CPT

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Really? I've eating about 30-50 carbs a day now, and first roll out of bed this a/m my BG was 108. I take 500mg in the morning, and 500 in the evening. Been in it just over a week now. They say it takes 3 weeks to see any results from the met. I problably will drop it once i see what it does to me. Then just control it with diet and more cardio.
    Pair your carbs with a protien, always. I had a client with PCOS...insulin sensitivity...we were able to control insulin spikes with timing more than content. She went off meds and got pregnant...something her doc said wouldn't happen.
    The mind leads the body...get your head right and the body will follow

ACE CPT
    NFPT CPT
    NCSF CPT

Originally Posted by kneedragger85 View Post
    Pair your carbs with a protien, always. I had a client with PCOS...insulin sensitivity...we were able to control insulin spikes with timing more than content. She went off meds and got pregnant...something her doc said wouldn't happen.
    I'm very new to this, and i appreciate the advice.
    -John Wayne

This happens to almost every client I have who decides they will go "low carb" to speed up weight loss. It's just water...there is a point where you can't get anymore water out. It's on to muscle at that point. Weight loss plateaus...frustration ensues...on high-carb cheat happens...9lbs of water sticks like glue and it's back to square one.
    This is simply a dishonest exaggeration. Yes low carb will cause that big early water weight loss, but it's not then on to muscle. From a weight loss perspective low carb is a much more muscle sparring way to go then low fat.

As for your clients getting frustrated and quitting low carb, that is an unfortunate side effect of damn near any diet. Nobody will lose the amount per week that they want, and any diet will suffer from plateaus. The reason people gain back their weight is that they learn nothing from the process of losing it. If you go back to eating what/like you did before you will go back to weighing what you did before... or more.

In my experience esults are rarely permanent on keto diets...
    When you choose a keto diet for fat loss, but then transition back to a low fat carb based diet you will fail. From a weight and health perspective keto/low carb are for life, not temporary weight loss.

great jump start but you have to have balance.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Disclaimer: everyone is different and results and reply based on personal experience and in no way covers all of humanity.
    How many fat animals are there outside of humans? Outside of domesticated animals and a few other there are simply not obese wild animals and it's not because they count calories or follow our governments misguided nutritional advice. It's because they eat that which they were designed/evolved to eat, and we weren't designed/evolved to eat a low fat high carb diet.

The OP's concern is his diabetes, which he can control without drugs by eating correctly. He'll suffer the side effects of losing much of the extra weight he holds, which will itself have the side effect of reducing his risk of most if not all of the modern western diseases.

It's a no lose senario.
    I'm a sad little man

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is simply a dishonest exaggeration. Yes low carb will cause that big early water weight loss, but it's not then on to muscle. From a weight loss perspective low carb is a much more muscle sparring way to go then low fat.

As for your clients getting frustrated and quitting low carb, that is an unfortunate side effect of damn near any diet. Nobody will lose the amount per week that they want, and any diet will suffer from plateaus. The reason people gain back their weight is that they learn nothing from the process of losing it. If you go back to eating what/like you did before you will go back to weighing what you did before... or more.

When you choose a keto diet for fat loss, but then transition back to a low fat carb based diet you will fail. From a weight and health perspective keto/low carb are for life, not temporary weight loss.

Couldn't disagree more.

How many fat animals are there outside of humans? Outside of domesticated animals and a few other there are simply not obese wild animals and it's not because they count calories or follow our governments misguided nutritional advice. It's because they eat that which they were designed/evolved to eat, and we weren't designed/evolved to eat a low fat high carb diet.

The OP's concern is his diabetes, which he can control without drugs by eating correctly. He'll suffer the side effects of losing much of the extra weight he holds, which will itself have the side effect of reducing his risk of most if not all of the modern western diseases.

It's a no lose senario.
    You do know there is a middle ground? Where people are not eating low fat and high carbs? Just saying

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    You do know there is a middle ground? Where people are not eating low fat and high carbs? Just saying
    I know it exists. I don't however believe that it is where we as animals are supposed to exist. And diabetes exacerbates the problem, which a balanced middle ground will not fix.
    I'm a sad little man

I know it exists. I don't however believe that it is where we as animals are supposed to exist. And diabetes exacerbates the problem, which a balanced middle ground will not fix.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. There are some medical conditions that warrant deviations in both directions. But most people simply need to dump the processed food, eat whole foods, and increase vegetable intake. Not to mention exercise.

Well, I can "feel it" within an hour of taking it. I won't tell you how to do it, but Metformin is an often abused drug. I do not recommend abusing it, as it can easily kill you. If your diet is wrong, it can also kill you. I eat about 100 grams of carbs per day. I was almost 100 lbs overweight. I went from 262 down to 173.

I guess my initial response would be, "Doc, are you out of you GD mind having me take Metformin for a fasted BG level of 128????"

We are all different. But, trust me, one mistake with your food intake and that Metformin, and you will see what I mean. I hope you don't have to experience it. It can be damn scary.