Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Why can I leg press nearly 1000lb but can't squat over 200?

Is it strictly form? Or does squatting really require that much more core strength? I'm using a free weight machine to legpress at an upward angle btw.

Registered User HuevosRancheros's Avatar
    HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10) HuevosRancheros is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1000lbs really? Maybe it's the difference in the range of motion.

Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryanast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That was my thought. My lower bodies always been way disproportionate compared to my upper body, but this seems unreal. If it's a form problem at all I wanna fix it so I can squat what I should be able to.

fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you know what angle the sled is?
    New Evolution shat on me

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #7 -!!!---!!!-

"Were not talking about bodybuilding you fking retard. We're talking about Gorillas"

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Ryanast View Post
    Is it strictly form? Or does squatting really require that much more core strength? I'm using a free weight machine to legpress at an upward angle btw.
    Leg press isnt **** compared to the Full Squat, Thats why.

I can ATG squat 260 right now in SS. I can probably leg press 1,000 once. i think i've done like 8 plates on each side for the leg press before a few reps when me and my friends were dicking around with **** and just maxing out on stuff. but i guess we got scared to go to 1000 cuz maybe one of us would die lawl.

I mean i don't do any Core work, cuz i think the OHP, DL, SQUAT do all my ab work for me. And i do pull ups which require abs too. SO i guess it requires a good amount but its not like i have NFL running back abs. And its about balance and stuff and form.

But dude 225 ATG squats 3x5 is better than doing 1,000lbx3x5 leg presses.

and the leg press causes more injuries. Unless u squat like a tard. On the leg press people do it in such way that it causes the weight to come crashing down on their knees when they are fully extended. And u conform to the Machine, unlike the squat u can make small adjustments to fit how your body is.

i hate machines... free weights all the way. I don think u even need machines till it comes to the Calf Press machine / Seat/lying hamstring curls.

Originally Posted by fishpat86 View Post
    Do you know what angle the sled is?
    its this thing

and i'm able to start with my knees basically in my face so i really don't think i'm cheapening the exercise in any way.

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by HuevosRancheros View Post
    1000lbs really? Maybe it's the difference in the range of motion.
    So... The dude that played wolverine Hugh jackman? does 1000 lb leg presses.

I'll be more amazed if i saw a 500 lb ATG squat for reps. Than a 1,500 leg press for reps.

edit* actually make that a 2,000 lb leg press

Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    Leg press isnt **** compared to the Full Squat, Thats why.

I can ATG squat 260 right now in SS. I can probably leg press 1,000 once. i think i've done like 8 plates on each side for the leg press before a few reps when me and my friends were dicking around with **** and just maxing out on stuff. but i guess we got scared to go to 1000 cuz maybe one of us would die lawl.

I mean i don't do any Core work, cuz i think the OHP, DL, SQUAT do all my ab work for me. And i do pull ups which require abs too. SO i guess it requires a good amount but its not like i have NFL running back abs. And its about balance and stuff and form.

But dude 225 ATG squats 3x5 is better than doing 1,000lbx3x5 leg presses.

and the leg press causes more injuries. Unless u squat like a tard. On the leg press people do it in such way that it causes the weight to come crashing down on their knees when they are fully extended. And u conform to the Machine, unlike the squat u can make small adjustments to fit how your body is.

i hate machines... free weights all the way. I don think u even need machines till it comes to the Calf Press machine / Seat/lying hamstring curls.
    Thanks for the input. Clears that up for me.

fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    its this thing

[img]http://www.true-natural-bodybuilding.com/dream-gym/hammer-strength-leg-press.jpg[/img

and i'm able to start with my knees basically in my face so i really don't think i'm cheapening the exercise in any way.
    It makes all the difference, think of it this way.

What's harder, pushing a car up 10 degree slope or pushing a car up a 30 degree slope?
    New Evolution shat on me

"Were not talking about bodybuilding you fking retard. We're talking about Gorillas"

What's harder, pushing a car up 10 degree slope or pushing a car up a 30 degree slope?
    didn't even think of the angle making a difference drrrrr /palm thanks lol

didn't even think of the angle making a difference drrrrr /palm thanks lol
    I would do the maths for you but I can't be bothered right now.
    New Evolution shat on me

poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pressing up 1000 lbs is impressive, especially if you're doing full ROM, but yeah, leg presses leave out a lot of the muscles that are involved in squats... Presses are more about quads, while squats emphasize glutes and core much more.

Compare:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...5LegPress.html

and

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

HAHA durrrrr

i don't think the OP questioned why it makes a different??

Most FRee weight leg presses look like that. the Leg presses that are at a lesser angle are mostly machine ones anyways and max out at like 490 lbs.

1,000 is still impressive but i think i can doit once. HAHa i wanna try it now. And im going to video tape it. Either its going on FAIL BLOG and i go to the hospitol or people on BB.com still say my form sucked.

changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Angles has nothing to do with it. Legpress is always > than squats. Different exercise so you cant compare the two. It's like if you train legs and chest regularlly, you should be able to squat more than you bench (legs are a bigger muscle than pecs).

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, there are a number of factors.

The first, that everybody has mentioned, is the mechanical advantage of the leg press you are using. While there is 1000lbs loaded on the machine, the force to move it is much less. There is a reason we use ramps to help us move heavy stuff

Now, the second issue is that a leg press completely removes the limiting factor in a squat, and that is lower back strength. Your legs are probably much stronger than your lower back will allow you to express, and you can see that on the leg press. Even with the mechanical advantage factored in, I'll bet your legs are moving twice as much weight on the leg press in comparison to your squat. If you want to get your squat up, strengthening your lower back is in order.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    So... The dude that played wolverine Hugh jackman? does 1000 lb leg presses.

I'll be more amazed if i saw a 500 lb ATG squat for reps. Than a 1,500 leg press for reps.

edit* actually make that a 2,000 lb leg press
    well you are hardcore!!!
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i'm able to start with my knees basically in my face so i really don't think i'm cheapening the exercise in any way.
    video please. Im not a hater but I would like to see a 21 year old who doesnt know why its easier to do leg press bang off 1000 lbs with his knees in his face.

coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Try using a full rage of motion on the press lol.

And yes, core strength is a HUGE component of having a good squat at decent depth. Don't discount flexibility either.

280 5x5 real ATG squats (hams/glutes to calves).....

220 lbs to go! (lol)

mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by changemyoil66 View Post
    Angles has nothing to do with it. Legpress is always > than squats. Different exercise so you cant compare the two. It's like if you train legs and chest regularlly, you should be able to squat more than you bench (legs are a bigger muscle than pecs).
    no, angles does have something to do with it
    GSF

Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    video please. Im not a hater but I would like to see a 21 year old who doesnt know why its easier to do leg press bang off 1000 lbs with his knees in his face.
    Maybe, if I can take it without my face in the video. I don't like putting myself out in public like that.

Originally Posted by changemyoil66 View Post

Horizontal force on two different angle leg presses:

1000lbs = 453.6kgs

453.6kgs x 9.81 = 4449.816N

45 degree leg press

sin45 x 4449.816 = 3146.49N = 321.07kgs = 707.86lbs

30 degree leg press

sin30 x 4449.816 = 2224.90N = 227.03kgs = 500.5lbs
    New Evolution shat on me

changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sorry meant no matter the angle 45,30,20,50, etc you will be able to leg press more than squat.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Maybe, if I can take it without my face in the video. I don't like putting myself out in public like that.
    just put your hand over your mouth like in your profile pic

KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100)
    Because you're bulky and have leverage on the leg press that the squat doesn't provide.

Biomechanics ftw

MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100)
    Because the leg press machine takes almost all of the weight off. That and likely some kind of form. Maybe it's your lower back or something, I'd have to see your attempts.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    While the mathematical differences are interesting to look at, you have to really work at the squat to be good at it. As CookAndrewAB said, the machine does all the balancing for you; with the squat, you have to do all the balancing, get your form straight, and push yourself to squat more (as deep as you can go without rounding your lower back) over time. It's so much harder to squat a s--tload of weight than to leg press a s--load of weight.

Since you're tall, you may think you have a mechanical disadvantage but that's simiply a matter of flexibility in your hamstrings and calves and hips and you have to work at it, too. I would also, again to parrot CookAB, work your lower back hard. Doing heavy deadlifts, again, progressively upping the resistance, will enable you to squat with heavier poundages. These things take time but they're well worth it.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    Well, there are a number of factors.

The first, that everybody has mentioned, is the mechanical advantage of the leg press you are using. While there is 1000lbs loaded on the machine, the force to move it is much less. There is a reason we use ramps to help us move heavy stuff

Now, the second issue is that a leg press completely removes the limiting factor in a squat, and that is lower back strength. Your legs are probably much stronger than your lower back will allow you to express, and you can see that on the leg press. Even with the mechanical advantage factored in, I'll bet your legs are moving twice as much weight on the leg press in comparison to your squat. If you want to get your squat up, strengthening your lower back is in order.
    ^^this
    good answer

unlike all the 'cuz leg press aint shhit' and related posts.. gyod

Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mvick07 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    work on your squat.

disregard legpress

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try bridging the gap with Smithe machine?!

so many posts I can't read all.

Leg press is also simulating parallel squats, and as I actually did find in this thread, 45 degrees (or is it 46? Do you feel lucky? LOL). Even more parallel than squats act.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    HAHA durrrrr

i don't think the OP questioned why it makes a different??

Most FRee weight leg presses look like that. the Leg presses that are at a lesser angle are mostly machine ones anyways and max out at like 490 lbs.

1,000 is still impressive but i think i can doit once. HAHa i wanna try it now. And im going to video tape it. Either its going on FAIL BLOG and i go to the hospitol or people on BB.com still say my form sucked.
    oh please do. i would love to see you be crushed by 1,000lbs on the leg press machine. srs.
    i'm hungry