Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Option trading Thread

there is a investing thread already but thats basically of people trading stocks. i have been trading stocks for 1 year and i started option trading this year. So i figure i find more people who option trade so we can post good lines here. i normally option trade technology stocks like aapl/goog. my last 2 trades were horrible but i am still learning. so lets just talk about options trading on this thread. nothing else.

i short calls btw.
    Last edited by NiR; 03-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Age 32
    BJJ : Purple belt (RGA)
    judo/wrestling: yellow
    Muay Thai: North jersey Muay thai

Ron Paul 2012

uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol @ trying to start an options thread
    Creator of:

-MISC Firearms Crew
    -MISC Wristwatch Crew

NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
    lol @ trying to start an options thread
    why? not many people trade option here?
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NiR View Post
    why? not many people trade option here?
    you're trying to start an extremely complicated topic on a message board.
    Creator of:

-MISC Firearms Crew
    -MISC Wristwatch Crew

craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) craigcmead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    is this secret rep trading thread?

_TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _TG_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    option me some reps

Registered User & Abuser vifferlv's Avatar
    vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    in wat the hell. Started on options about 2 years ago. Mainly boring strategies with boring stocks. Covered calls, naked puts, and vertical spreads usually about 3-6 months out with deltas bout .25 (.350 for the misc) or below. Mostly stable bluechips like WMT XOM MMM NLY JNJ VZ.

Originally Posted by vifferlv View Post
    in wat the hell. Started on options about 2 years ago. Mainly boring strategies with boring stocks. Covered calls, naked puts, and vertical spreads usually about 3-6 months out with deltas bout .25 (.350 for the misc) or below. Mostly stable bluechips like WMT XOM MMM NLY JNJ VZ.
    how have you done? any strategy that works for you? i am new to options so what is the strategy more option traders use? buy options on stocks that barely move? "boring".
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

well there is a huge 140 page thread on investing so i figured we should have a buncha people here or from that thread who also trades options. options isnt that much more complicated then other forms of trading.
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    how have you done? any strategy that works for you? i am new to options so what is the strategy more option traders use? buy options on stocks that barely move? "boring".
    not too bad. about 35% over the 2 years. I did say my style was boring. Things did get interesting however with my naked puts on BP during the spill, but made it out ok. I mostly sell, in fact I only buy for protection.

not too bad. about 35% over the 2 years. I did say my style was boring. Things did get interesting however with my naked puts on BP during the spill, but made it out ok. I mostly sell, in fact I only buy for protection.
    i am very unfamiliar with all these terms. (i am really really new migrating from swing trading stocks).what do you exactly mean by "boring style", naked puts, and what you mean by buying only for protection. sorry if all this is newbie questions.
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

i am very unfamiliar with all these terms. (i am really really new migrating from swing trading stocks).what do you exactly mean by "boring style", naked puts, and what you mean by buying only for protection. sorry if all this is newbie questions.
    Boring style (to me) is plays on non-volatile stocks. Yes you need to do some homework if you don't know those terms. Read a few books before getting started, this is a decent first one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...0911276&sr=8-1

Boring style (to me) is plays on non-volatile stocks. Yes you need to do some homework if you don't know those terms. Read a few books before getting started, this is a decent first one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...0911276&sr=8-1
    any other books you recommend? or sites
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000) TBEagl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    thread title not flashy enough
    ◄FILMM∆KERS CR€W►/Disregard everything, acquire profits!
    Albums listening to now:ASIWYFA - Gangs, Beach House - Teen Dream, The Antlers - Burst apart, Thursday - no devolucion, beastie boys - hot sauce committee part 2, Wild beast - Smother, Mogwai - HWNDBYW, Republic of wolves, Everything that is Max Ritcher,The Ocean, kno - death is silent, Wu tang clan - Enter the wu tang(this album will never die).

iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    why did you switch to options? do you find it more profitable than stocks? also is it more or less risky than stocks?
    NJ • 732

theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there is a investing thread already but thats basically of people trading stocks. i have been trading stocks for 1 year and i started option trading this year. So i figure i find more people who option trade so we can post good lines here. i normally option trade technology stocks like aapl/goog. my last 2 trades were horrible but i am still learning. so lets just talk about options trading on this thread. nothing else.

i short calls btw.
    I wanted to do this a few days ago but I felt this thread couldn't handle the simple basics of this topic. Now that a thread like this has been created and has gained attention, I will add to this.

Thank you OP!

BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BAMF_T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I only use options to hedge my stock positions.
    *BMBC*

-It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift!-

RU

theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theCT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First and foremost OP, shorting options can get insanely risky, have you had any bad experiences doing this?

I have a program that I input the implied volatility, risk free rate (3mo LIBOR spot), the stock spot, the strike, and time to maturity. It spits out the option price (which I don't really care for) and The Greeks (which I care for). I haven't established a concrete strat yet, but I'm trying to screen a huge load of stocks from various sectors (prob the most volatile) and keep track of the ones that come back with high delta's and low gamma's. I think that's what I'm trying to do.

I should also add that I'm strictly taking a speculative position each time, don't care for anything else.

Originally Posted by iBulk View Post
    why did you switch to options? do you find it more profitable than stocks? also is it more or less risky than stocks?
    Didn't switch, it's just part of my portfolio. To me, it's a good half-way point between buy&hold and active trader. It can be more profitable but also more risky.

Originally Posted by theCT View Post
    First and foremost OP, shorting options can get insanely risky,
    amen.

Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000) Lt.Dangle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dear NiN,

BTN: $410.30
    SB: $213.00
    Hero (BB): $491.00
    UTG: $459.20
    CO: $408.00

Pre Flop: ($6.00) Hero is BB with A J
    2 folds, BTN raises to $10, 1 fold, Hero calls $6

Flop: ($22.00) T A 3 (2 players)
    Hero checks, BTN bets $16, Hero calls $16

Turn: ($54.00) A (2 players)
    Hero bets $38, BTN calls $38

River: ($130.00) 7 (2 players)
    Hero bets $90, BTN raises to $346.30 all in, Hero folds

but seriously, I have never traded options, just stocks. i've been meaning to get into options trading. how did you find the transition? were you profitable in stock trading?
    *top tier ivy because grandpa donated half the buildings crew*
    *family coat of arms in our foyer crew*
    *have to breathe into a paper bag if i see a guy juicier than me crew*
    *adrenaline rush when a girl looks in my direction crew*
    *rush home from the gym to admire my pump crew*

Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Calvin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    options are pretty easy to learn, people just make it more complicated than necessary.
    VERY CHEAP STOCKS AND OPTIONS TRADING BROKER
    STOCKS $3.95
    OPTIONS $8.50 + $0.15 per contract OR $5 for 5 contract + $1 per contract over 5

write free100 in the promo box 100 Commission FREE Trades!
    http://oh.tellapal.com/a/clk/Vsvws

FREE Virtual Trading platform for you to try before you put funds in!

~ if you don't like what I said, you can file a form and complain it to my ASS-istance!!
    ~ You can Neg me all your want, it's just some dumb red dot that I don't even care about!

Originally Posted by iBulk View Post
    i am a professional poker player. so this was a good transition. so far i like stocks more but from what i hear from other gamblers turned traders, options is the way to go. so i am trying to make the switch or atleast learn it for now. it is more risky from what i hear.
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

First and foremost OP, shorting options can get insanely risky, have you had any bad experiences doing this?

I have a program that I input the implied volatility, risk free rate (3mo LIBOR spot), the stock spot, the strike, and time to maturity. It spits out the option price (which I don't really care for) and The Greeks (which I care for). I haven't established a concrete strat yet, but I'm trying to screen a huge load of stocks from various sectors (prob the most volatile) and keep track of the ones that come back with high delta's and low gamma's. I think that's what I'm trying to do.

I should also add that I'm strictly taking a speculative position each time, don't care for anything else.
    yup i have last couple weeks. i am just trying to learn more for now.
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlmightyGaylord is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    vifferlv how often are you naked?

Originally Posted by Lt.Dangle View Post
    Dear NiN,

BTN: $410.30
    SB: $213.00
    Hero (BB): $491.00
    UTG: $459.20
    CO: $408.00

Pre Flop: ($6.00) Hero is BB with A J
    2 folds, BTN raises to $10, 1 fold, Hero calls $6

Flop: ($22.00) T A 3 (2 players)
    Hero checks, BTN bets $16, Hero calls $16

Turn: ($54.00) A (2 players)
    Hero bets $38, BTN calls $38

River: ($130.00) 7 (2 players)
    Hero bets $90, BTN raises to $346.30 all in, Hero folds

but seriously, I have never traded options, just stocks. i've been meaning to get into options trading. how did you find the transition? were you profitable in stock trading?
    well first year in stocks i did 24%. doesnt mean i am profitable but i did profit. options i am down so far. i am not sure why people say you can make more from options. so far it seems like i can make mroe from stocks.
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

yup i have last couple weeks. i am just trying to learn more for now.
    If you are just starting out in the options game, the last thing I would do is short anything. Just long calls/puts until you can develop your own strategy and profit from it.

Shorting options are for those who have the capital and risk-appetite to back up any position that goes south, technically, potentially, infinitely south.

ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    oex options near expiration if the market feels overbought or oversold.

big returns.

good luck.
    you should read this
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179438063

negs for using "of" where it should be "have"

If you are just starting out in the options game, the last thing I would do is short anything. Just long calls/puts until you can develop your own strategy and profit from it.

Shorting options are for those who have the capital and risk-appetite to back up any position that goes south, technically, potentially, infinitely south.
    shorting puts(or was it calls? something about naked) is the only thing my friend taught me. can you explain the others ?
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ragingcrayon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

dont give bad info.

there's a max loss on sold puts.

naked calls on the other hand.... infinite risk.

come at me bro
    you should read this
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179438063

negs for using "of" where it should be "have"

Originally Posted by ragingcrayon View Post
    dont give bad info.

there's a max loss on sold puts.

naked calls on the other hand.... infinite risk.

come at me bro
    Shorting = writing.

When you short an option you are selling (writing) an option that you think will go down in price. You do not have to own the stock itself to short an option on it.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

Learn yourself some finance before you post about it.