Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

grip strength vs wrist curl strength.

Are they both co-related? As in having a high grip strength means u will be able to wrist curl more aswell, and vice-versa?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Grtr1 View Post
    Are they both co-related? As in having a high grip strength means u will be able to wrist curl more aswell, and vice-versa?
    There is certainly significant overlap. That specific correlation is also present, generally.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Where you at Tyciol? I know you live for this kind of stuff

ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don't do wrist curls. To me those are a waste of time. I develop my forearms by doing heavy pick up exercises, pull ups, deadlifts, powr cleans rows, curls muscle ups etc. Raw as in no lifting straps. I can deadlift 475 for 3 reps no straps. My grip is not the weak part of that lift. I would fail to lift it off the floor sooner than my grip would fail. i don't do any specific grip/forearm exercise. just heavy lifting. My grip was not always so strong, it got that way from hard training and consistancy.

To me, grip strength is at least part neurological in that on any given day i could be at my best one day, a little off another day. if I am weak or strong the first clue I have to it is how the weight feels in my grip when I pick it up. I can feel if I am strong that day or not by how the 475 feels in my grip.

In surgery one of the main tests we use when the patient is waking up as to whether he is strong enough to maintain his airway is we ask the patient to squeeze our hand, thus we assess the patients neuro status by their grip srength or lack there of.

For weight lifting the reason your strength would fluctuate is your hormone/neurotransmitter/androgen levels flutuate from day to day. Depending on what kind of supplaments you are taking, that is. Also if you are rested enough or overtrained your strength will fluctuate. one way i guage how strong I am is I can tell by my grip when i pick up the weight. If the weight feels real heavy in my grip, I know things are not going to go my way that day.

Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grtr1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

grip strength vs wrist curl strength.

Not really.

I have rack pulled six plates(260 kilos) several times recently sans straps. I have been doing heavy grip work on my grip machine. That hammers the finger flexors. And I have been doing band extensions to hit the finger extensors for balance.

But I have been neglecting my wrist curls(wrist flexors) and reverse wrist curls(wrist extensors).

The result is that my wrists have gotten much weaker, enough to affect my power cleans, push presses etc.

If you want strong wrists, finger flexor work will do nothing for them.

If you want strong hands, wrist flexor work will do nothing for them.

Be specific in training grip and wrist strength.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes, many of the same forearm muscles are used, they span several joints. to flex just fingers without wrist flexion requires stabilization from wrist extensors.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am going to say that they don't have as much to do with each other as you might think. Anyone that really gets into grip work will tell you that just grabbing onto a bar is only one aspect of how your hand works, and may not be a good indicator of other forms of grip (open hand, crushing, etc). You get a little bit of carry over, maybe, but as JGrey put it, you have to train with some specificity to really get anywhere.

While the same musculature is used, the motor pattern is different, and that motor pattern is what really determines how strong you are at a specific movement. IE, can you get all the muscles involved to do their jobs in the right order in the right balance.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    But I have been neglecting my wrist curls(wrist flexors) and reverse wrist curls(wrist extensors).

The result is that my wrists have gotten much weaker, enough to affect my power cleans, push presses etc.

Be specific in training grip and wrist strength.
    ^ Listen to this guy.

I'm actually the exact opposite, my wrists are greatly disproportionately stronger than everything else, but my fingers suck. Yesterday my routine looked like:
    1x50 20kg (per hand) wrist curls, fast, also as a warm up.
    1x50 31kg wrist curls.
    1x50 25kg wrist curls.

And yet, when it comes to finger strength, I'm only just barely above average in strength, because I neglect it.
    A man can only be beaten in two ways: if he gives up, or dies.

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    fair enough, i guess i have never separated the 2 to see the difference before.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

ZoSo15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Behind the back wrist curls is probably the closest you'll get to working both at the same time.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    Where you at Tyciol? I know you live for this kind of stuff
    Well, truth's been said by DJ who I'll quote for da bump, but seems his view is under attack so I'll counter the detractors.
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    There is certainly significant overlap. That specific correlation is also present, generally.
    Basically yeah, if you are bending the wrist towards the palm direction, that action is aided by grip, and doing that action strengthens one's grip.
    Originally Posted by ichidkiller View Post
    I don't do wrist curls. To me those are a waste of time. I develop my forearms by doing heavy pick up exercises, pull ups, deadlifts, powr cleans rows, curls muscle ups etc. Raw as in no lifting straps. I can deadlift 475 for 3 reps no straps. My grip is not the weak part of that lift. I would fail to lift it off the floor sooner than my grip would fail. i don't do any specific grip/forearm exercise. just heavy lifting. My grip was not always so strong, it got that way from hard training and consistancy.
    I can understand avoiding curls but I hope you aren't suggesting pulling substitutes for wrist extensions ("reverse curls") seeing as how that action's not performed by the finger flexors.
    Not really. I have rack pulled six plates(260 kilos) several times recently sans straps. I have been doing heavy grip work on my grip machine. That hammers the finger flexors. And I have been doing band extensions to hit the finger extensors for balance. But I have been neglecting my wrist curls(wrist flexors) and reverse wrist curls(wrist extensors). The result is that my wrists have gotten much weaker, enough to affect my power cleans, push presses etc.
    The weaker part is probably the extensors, your flexion strength should be in part maintained by the finger flexor work. The key difference is probably that our grip is static whereas curls are dynamic so perhaps it's very specific.

False. There must be some overlap because the finger flexors also perform wrist flexion. Based on your testimony though, I'll assume the carryover to be a weak one.

Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    to flex just fingers without wrist flexion requires stabilization from wrist extensors.
    I was not aware of this, and am skeptical. Why is that stabilization required? Is it significant? Would like to read more.

Originally Posted by ZoSo15 View Post
    Behind the back wrist curls is probably the closest you'll get to working both at the same time.
    What's special about doing it this way? Peak flexion in a pronated position?

ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ichidkiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Well, truth's been said by DJ who I'll quote for da bump, but seems his view is under attack so I'll counter the detractors.
    Basically yeah, if you are bending the wrist towards the palm direction, that action is aided by grip, and doing that action strengthens one's grip.
    I can understand avoiding curls but I hope you aren't suggesting pulling substitutes for wrist extensions ("reverse curls") seeing as how that action's not performed by the finger flexors.
    The weaker part is probably the extensors, your flexion strength should be in part maintained by the finger flexor work. The key difference is probably that our grip is static whereas curls are dynamic so perhaps it's very specific.

False. There must be some overlap because the finger flexors also perform wrist flexion. Based on your testimony though, I'll assume the carryover to be a weak one.

I was not aware of this, and am skeptical. Why is that stabilization required? Is it significant? Would like to read more.

What's special about doing it this way? Peak flexion in a pronated position?
    to me wrist extensions and wrist curls are about as relevent to having good arm development as doing "kiegel exercises" where you wink your anal sphinctors are to having a strong back. I truly don't think "keigels" will help the look of your pysique, and i don't have the time to try them. i stick with mainstream strength exercises. I suppose it all depends on the name of your game. i have read a good many big name bodybuilders never do wrist exercises. Just super heavy barbell and dumbell exercises as in rows, curls benchpress, deadlifts. Maybe if your game is crusing another guys hand with your grip, or ripping telephone books then the grip exercises would help that. To me wrist exercises are a waste. there is a thing called "carpel tunnel synedrome" I would take that into consideration before I started doing weird curling/extension exercises with my wrists.