Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raw eggs

slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Raw eggs

Whats the consensus on raw eggs? From what Ive read the main drawback is the risk of salmonella poisoning. However from what Ive read the odds are pretty low especially if you wash the shells in water and stay away from any cracked eggs.

Anyone seen good gains from raw eggs?? Ive recently started mixing them in with my protein shake and I feel like my recovery seems to improve...

I know that raw eggs were a staple for old school body builders and not to mention Rocky but Im not sure why people stopped drinking them raw?

BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    eat em if you want, i think the amount of protien the body can get from them gets halfed though for some bio something or another.

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by slickric25 View Post
    Whats the consensus on raw eggs? From what Ive read the main drawback is the risk of salmonella poisoning. However from what Ive read the odds are pretty low especially if you wash the shells in water and stay away from any cracked eggs.
    Lower bioavailability. Avidin binding to biotin. I doubt you'll get sick, but I don't really see what the attraction is.

Anyone seen good gains from raw eggs?? Ive recently started mixing them in with my protein shake and I feel like my recovery seems to improve...
    Can't say I'm in the habit of drinking them raw.

I know that raw eggs were a staple for old school body builders and not to mention Rocky but Im not sure why people stopped drinking them raw?
    I don't really see why people first started doing it, but sometimes it seems like that's just me. Following the movie stars, I guess.

steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50) steeez will become famous soon enough. (+50)

lol never heard of placebo from eggs before
    tight

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It hink back in the day it probably was convenient. THe bioavialibity is cut in half because of avidin (like someone already said I believe) but its easier to throw that **** in a blender than to eat it. I know someone who actually puts them in their preworkout shake for the fat and doesnt worry about the protein prtion of it. I've tried it before and the crazy thing is it makes protein shakes taste better. Gives it a cake batter taste. I do not currently do it now though
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142412021

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Vigilante_Inc View Post
    It hink back in the day it probably was convenient. THe bioavialibity is cut in half because of avidin (like someone already said I believe) but its easier to throw that **** in a blender than to eat it. I know someone who actually puts them in their preworkout shake for the fat and doesnt worry about the protein prtion of it. I've tried it before and the crazy thing is it makes protein shakes taste better. Gives it a cake batter taste. I do not currently do it now though
    No. Avidin has nothing to do with bioavailability, it binds to the biotin. It's not bioavailable because when egg protein isn't denatured by cooking it's hard for the body to break down and use it.
    I want to touch the butt.

Bulls 32-8 (2012) HTML_Rulez_D00d's Avatar
    HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HTML_Rulez_D00d has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ive been eating them for a year, just regular store bought eggs and have only gotten food poisoning once. All that happened is i had diareha for like 18 hours. Its too much work to cook them and i hate the taste of them cooked.

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Seamless View Post
    No. Avidin has nothing to do with bioavailability, it binds to the biotin. It's not bioavailable because when egg protein isn't denatured by cooking it's hard for the body to break down and use it.
    My mistake
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142412021

PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    from what I have heard/read raw eggs are not bioavailable at all and you will get no benefit from them

slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slickric25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PaintPir View Post
    from what I have heard/read raw eggs are not bioavailable at all and you will get no benefit from them
    So whats the difference between a food being Bioavailable and a foods biological value?

"The protein in eggs has the highest biological value?a measure of how well it supports your body's protein needs?of any food, including our beloved beef. "Calorie for calorie, you need less protein from eggs than you do from other sources to achieve the same muscle-building benefits," says Volek."

TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So whats the difference between a food being Bioavailable and a foods biological value?

"The protein in eggs has the highest biological value?a measure of how well it supports your body's protein needs?of any food, including our beloved beef. "Calorie for calorie, you need less protein from eggs than you do from other sources to achieve the same muscle-building benefits," says Volek."
    Bioavailability is to what degree a protein can be absorbed. The BV of cooked eggs is higher than that of a raw egg (I don't have the numbers on hand). I'm not sure that the BV of cooked eggs is actually the highest, although it is close if nothing else.

frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TinyMan View Post
    Bioavailability is to what degree a protein can be absorbed. The BV of cooked eggs is higher than that of a raw egg (I don't have the numbers on hand). I'm not sure that the BV of cooked eggs is actually the highest, although it is close if nothing else.
    In my country, raw eggs very cheap usually bread store has it because they seldom use white eggs, I bought only $1/2 and get 1 liter white eggs ( around 18-25 white raw eggs). I used it with no problem (cooked) like pudding and ate it with oats.

ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i think soybean have the highest bv
    i do it for the tacos.

BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Use pasteurized eggs like liquid egg whites. Not sure if they make a whole egg pasteurized product. I've been hard boiling them lately.

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In very simplistic terms, the biological value of eggs is very high as their amino acid ratios are about as close to our own tissue's makeup as possible. BUT, the availability raw egg protein is lower, so your body can't absorb as much of that great ratio.

Digestability is around 50-60% when raw, while cooked egg protein digestability is around 90%. So while eggs have a GREAT total profile, they need to be cooked for your body to take full advantage of that profile.
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ToshiroMifune View Post
    i think soybean have the highest bv
    no.

the BV is just a slightly archaic way of measuring the "quality" of a protein.

bioavailability is how much of a protein is available to be used. BV is a way of measuring how much of that protein is actually used. my problem with it is that it's similar to glycogen replenishment tests in that the BV tests are conducted in unnatural settings.

and the bioavailability of a raw egg vs a cooked egg is 51.3 ? 9.8% vs. 90.9 ? 0.8. The ? is a plus/minus.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
    Last edited by Seamless; 05-26-2009 at 07:05 PM.

ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    there is also something called the NPU scale- net protein utilization. it pertains to how efficiently the protein is digested: eggs, meat, cheese all score 100. BV, biological value, pertains to how much nitrogen is released and absorbed. cooking destroys some protein, but as mentioned, can prevent avidin from binding to biotin and other nutrients, which isnt a problem if you get enough of them during the day. as for egg nutrition:
    whites: 50% of the protein, no fat, no vit A, 20% of the calories, and less nutrients than the yolks(except potassium)
    yolks: 50% of the protein, vit A, B vit, D, E, all the fat & cholesterol, lecithin, zinc, iron, calcium
    i do it for the tacos.

Originally Posted by RuckstaR View Post
    In very simplistic terms, the biological value of eggs is very high as their amino acid ratios are about as close to our own tissue's makeup as possible. BUT, the availability raw egg protein is lower, so your body can't absorb as much of that great ratio.

Digestability is around 50-60% when raw, while cooked egg protein digestability is around 90%. So while eggs have a GREAT total profile, they need to be cooked for your body to take full advantage of that profile.
    i agree. although some protein is lost during cooking, the protein utilization improves
    i do it for the tacos.

gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i wouldnt drink them, i forget where i read this at (maybe bb.com) but anyways i frget all the technical terms they used but to sum it up, theres something in raw eggs that makes your body prone to use the protein and any protein in general so id jus stop, if i cna find the "technical terms" for this info ill post er haha

I'm not aware of any specific protein within an egg that is actually dismembered by cooking. Avidin is one of the weakest quad structures in eggs I believe, and it unbinds below even pasteurization temperatures - at 120F for 15 minutes I think it will denature (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bi00727a024). The egg white itself doesn't unfold the quad structure until actual cooking temperatures - but that's not 'destroying' the protein.

I'm not aware of any specific protein within an egg that is actually dismembered by cooking. Avidin is one of the weakest quad structures in eggs I believe, and it unbinds below even pasteurization temperatures - at 120F for 15 minutes I think it will denature (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bi00727a024). The egg white itself doesn't unfold the quad structure until actual cooking temperatures - but that's not 'destroying' the protein.
    Indeed. Unfortunately, IIRC, liquid egg whites aren't pasteurized long enough to unbind avidin to any significant degree.

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gspsilva View Post
    i wouldnt drink them, i forget where i read this at (maybe bb.com) but anyways i frget all the technical terms they used but to sum it up, theres something in raw eggs that makes your body prone to use the protein and any protein in general so id jus stop, if i cna find the "technical terms" for this info ill post er haha

Wouldn't you want your body to use the protein?
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

Indeed. Unfortunately, IIRC, liquid egg whites aren't pasteurized long enough to unbind avidin to any significant degree.
    I can't remember pasteurization temperature or length - it probably varies company to company. Given the right information, it could be calculated though. I've got the dissociation peak of avidin somewhere from when the structure really falls apart; using that and the actual liquid temperature it should be somewhat estimatable. If you got the liquid to the correct temperature, you could probably assume that you took out most of the bell curve. I've seen it claimed that it does not happen, but I've never seen even a lame attempt at a calculation.

I can't remember pasteurization temperature or length - it probably varies company to company. Given the right information, it could be calculated though. I've got the dissociation peak of avidin somewhere from when the structure really falls apart; using that and the actual liquid temperature it should be somewhat estimatable. If you got the liquid to the correct temperature, you could probably assume that you took out most of the bell curve. I've seen it claimed that it does not happen, but I've never seen even a lame attempt at a calculation.
    I believe it's around 130 F for 15-20 seconds.

member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) member666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Random_1 View Post
    ive been eating them for a year, just regular store bought eggs and have only gotten food poisoning once. All that happened is i had diareha for like 18 hours. Its too much work to cook them and i hate the taste of them cooked.
    I was actually just in the store today looking at purchasing Egg Whites. I guess throwing them into my morning shake would be alright?
    Gainmax, CytoGainer, ON 100% Whey, Green Magnitude.

Originally Posted by member666 View Post
    I was actually just in the store today looking at purchasing Egg Whites. I guess throwing them into my morning shake would be alright?
    read the rest of the thread...

I believe it's around 130 F for 15-20 seconds.
    I'll see if I can find the chart I had for it. I don't think that's enough to really get into the peak... but it has been a long time since I've seen it.

gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gspsilva is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RuckstaR View Post

Wouldn't you want your body to use the protein?

oops i meant not prone hah my bad

LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000) LouB2010 is just really nice. (+1000)
    salmonella is typically found on the outer shell of eggs...if you avoid that you basically avoid salmonella...however, why not just cook them? Drinking them is nasty...who cares about it's bioavailability at that pt...your drinking eggs man?? That's sick..just eat them like everyone else...

MattDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I crack them raw into a protein shake first thing in the morning and then last thing at night. Seems to work for me...

Matt