ᵢ'ᵥₑ gₒₜ cᵤᵣᵥₑₛ... SpeculatorSam's Avatar
    SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Gonna add a set to my back and bicep workout

I will add a set to my weighted chins, but here's my pull/back and bi workout. Should I do less pull-ups, or keep them for the volume aspect? Should I just do 4-5 works sets with chins and/or just do drop sets to get the same volume benefit? I dunno, but I enjoy this session but I'm taking mah weighted chin more seriously now. Thanks for reading.

Weighted chins 3 x 6-10
    DB Rows 3 x 6-12
    BW Pull-Ups 3 x 6-12
    DB Curls 3 x 6-12
    Hammer Curls 3 x 6-12
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +110lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5

Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I alternate pronated pull ups and neutral grip pull ups on back work twice a week. I finish off which ever one I happen to be on with chins. After I warm up they are weighted (especially now that I'm "bulking"lol). My reasoning is that pronated is naturally weakest, then neutral, and chins are strongest. It works well and achieves the variety that I'm after.

What is your volume criteria? How are you determining the critical level of your volume? Are you concerned more about having too much or not enough?

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You really worrying about adding one set to your workout? What do you think it’s going to do, affect your performance or muscle gain or something?

You are probably overthing it.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

ᵢ'ᵥₑ gₒₜ cᵤᵣᵥₑₛ... SpeculatorSam's Avatar
    SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Spoken36 View Post
    I alternate pronated pull ups and neutral grip pull ups on back work twice a week. I finish off which ever one I happen to be on with chins. After I warm up they are weighted (especially now that I'm "bulking"lol). My reasoning is that pronated is naturally weakest, then neutral, and chins are strongest. It works well and achieves the variety that I'm after.

What is your volume criteria? How are you determining the critical level of your volume? Are you concerned more about having too much or not enough?
    Having that variety is a good idea for those who are more physique oriented and wanna ensure that everything's rounded off. I have my workout setup the way it is, because I'm not strong enough to do weighted pullups after weighted chins and dumbbell rows. My issue is too much workout 'cpz this routine I do twice a week as of the moment. Weighted chin's a priority movement 'coz I want to do a one arm chin up someday, but also there are competitive curling meets in my area and having strong biceps from weighted chins carry over a tiny bit more than the pull-up does.

Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    You really worrying about adding one set to your workout? What do you think it’s going to do, affect your performance or muscle gain or something?

You are probably overthing it.
    You're probably right, I just don't wanna overtrain since that's a waste of time and energy but subbing the bodyweight pullups post rows are probably as simple as doing them drop set style after my weighted chins. The thing is I changed my push workout by dropping the chest flies and just doing a 5x5 for both bench and military press, then some lateral raises and tricep extensions. I think that works fine for those muscles and I recover from that just fine, but I don't know if that's appropriate for the back muscle. In my experience, my weighted chin doesn't respond to a 5x5 well, but it responds to the 6 rep range just fine, so 4 x 6 is probably good, and build up to 8 or 10 reps before adding weight is good. I don't give a crap about the row, but I know it's important for building the upper back, ain't nothing worse than a back that's wide but not thick.

In other words, I know that logic I took with my push workout will most likely not apply that well to the back workout, and adding more sets isn't always "better", but I know that 3-5 sets for 5-10 reps has been proven best for training volume for a single session. I'm crudely following Scooby's Intermediate Pull Workout but now that I overthink about it more and more, this work stimulates my back just fine and I'm making great progress on my weighted chin and curling strength, so why would I need to add any sets? I find that by the time I've finished my third set of BW pull-ups, I'm exhausted anyhow. I'll keep it the same for now It's not like with the push workout where I was doing 3 sets of bench, then 3 sets of flies, then 3 sets of presses; flies have always felt awkward to me, and I stagnated on both presses until I switch to a more 5x5-esque rep range, but my back exercises progress great for the time being, so why fix what ain't broke.

Thanks for helping me figure this out guys. I'll keep the reps and sets the same but maybe I'll add sets my weighted chin in the future and less to pullups... that being said the reps and sets were laid out that way because it prevent muscular imbalances aesthetically and anatomically speaking even though pull-ups and chin-ups aren't that much different from each other in terms of muscular development.
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +110lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5