BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When is the best time of day to drink my whey protein shakes?

First let me say, I am finally glad to be have found what looks like a really great fitness forum. I know this is my first post, but I plan on being very active now that I found a good place to ask questions and post some of my knowledge/experiences.

I'm 6'4" - 170 pounds ... my goal is to gain 30 pounds of healthy weight/muscle in 3 months.

I feel that I have a pretty solid diet right now, I'm eating 5-6 times a day, all healthy whole foods so I am not looking for someone to critique my meal plan.

I am however confused as to when is the BEST time for me to drink my whey protein shake? (Chocolate whey protein and whole milk)

is it best to drink it in the early morning? in the afternoon BEFORE my workout? post workout? or before bed?

sorry if this is a 'newbie' question. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The time of day that you realize you won't be able to reach your target through WHOLE FOOD...

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Christiffer View Post
    The time of day that you realize you won't be able to reach your target through WHOLE FOOD...
    This.

Sounds like you're lacking some basic knowledge. Read the stickies.
    Who do men say that I am?

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Best time of day to drink a whey protein shake? The time of the day when you run out of time and can't cook or otherwise eat whole food. Whey in a shaker cup is easily transportable (just add water when you are ready to ingest).

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Studies show the 2 best times are 8:37am, and 6:23pm, but only if it is sunny. If there is cloud cover, push both times back 30 minutes.

Also, in order to gain 30lbs of muscle in 3 months...never mind, not possible.

djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your going to get a ton of different answers but I like to drink a protein shake right after my workout and then one right before I go to bed. There is no set time it depends on you.

BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuzzookaJoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ko300zx View Post
    I'm not looking to gain 30 pounds of pure muscle. I want to gain 30 pounds of healthy weight.

2 years ago I went from 160 to 185 in 3 months.. and it was healthy weight, meaning I cut out fast food, junk food, and was working out 4 days a week. I'm skinny so I can deal with putting on some weight that's not pure muscle.

and thanks Havoc for the response.. So drinking it before bed is ok? That is what I have been doing but I was worried that, that might not be a good idea.

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Studies show the 2 best times are 8:37am, and 6:23pm, but only if it is sunny. If there is cloud cover, push both times back 30 minutes.

It's snowing out here. What does that do to the times?
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs.

My 5/3/1 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142349681

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol @ 10lbs of lean muscle mass each month for 3 months.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) djhavoc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BuzzookaJoe View Post

and thanks Havoc for the response.. So drinking it before bed is ok? That is what I have been doing but I was worried that, that might not be a good idea.
    It's a good idea especially if you worked out "heavy". I try to not go over 2 protein shakes a day there are others on here that will drink more than 3 a day + 2-3 scoops...seems like a waste to me.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nutrient timing doesn't make a difference for body composition. Just concern yourself with meeting adequate protein, fat, and calorie intake every day, regardless of when you consume them.

With that said, whole foods are superior sources of micronutrients over supplements. Eat whole foods when possible, and use supplements only if absolutely necessary.

bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000) bixbysnyder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lol it's 8:38 and 6:32, plus you gotta shift it back an hour for daylight savings. Idiot...

Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ozo nasty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Follow post 2 and 4 advice. Great advice.

I right now I am away and I don't have time to cook or access to a kitchen So I am meeting my protien intake with protien powder and my fats with my delicious jar of pb.

Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    Nutrient timing doesn't make a difference for body composition. Just concern yourself with meeting adequate protein, fat, and calorie intake every day, regardless of when you consume them.

With that said, whole foods are superior sources of micronutrients over supplements. Eat whole foods when possible, and use supplements only if absolutely necessary.
    ahhh interesting.. thanks for the reply.

camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000) camlam is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not looking to gain 30 pounds of pure muscle. I want to gain 30 pounds of healthy weight.

2 years ago I went from 160 to 185 in 3 months.. and it was healthy weight, meaning I cut out fast food, junk food, and was working out 4 days a week. I'm skinny so I can deal with putting on some weight that's not pure muscle.

Honestly dude!
    Fat is fat "healthy" food or not it's still fat

MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm 6'4" - 170 pounds ... my goal is to gain 30 pounds of healthy weight/muscle in 3 months.
    30lb of muscle in 3 months is pretty much impossible, even for a 6'4 beginner. You need a more realistic goal, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for a fail.

30lb of sheer weight may be possible in 3 months, but it would be at least 2/3 fat, and you would need to eat yourself sick every day.

..I'm eating 5-6 times a day..
    This isn't neccessary. Do it if you want to or if it's convenient, but don't do it if you think it will somehow work better than 3 or 4 meals, because it won't.

I am however confused as to when is the BEST time for me to drink my whey protein shake? (Chocolate whey protein and whole milk)
    It really doesn't matter - especially for a beginner. Protein supplements are not neccessary, merely convenient. You should be able to get all the protein you need from proper food.

Personally, I drink around an ounce of whey in milk just before I train in the morning - but that's only because I workout from 6am to 7am, and I don't want to either train fasted or get up eaven earlier to eat something & let it digest. I can knock back some whey & start training immediately. If it wasn't for my workout time, I probably wouldn't buy it at all.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by illriginalized View Post
    lol @ 10lbs of lean muscle mass each month for 3 months.
    This. If you truly want to meet this goal you need to be asking what the best time to stick a needle in your ass is
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    It's snowing out here. What does that do to the times?
    You will stick to the standard times, but during a snow storm, a casein/whey blend has been shown to be nearly twice as effective as whey alone.

Originally Posted by bixbysnyder View Post
    Lol it's 8:38 and 6:32, plus you gotta shift it back an hour for daylight savings. Idiot...
    Fuuuuu...knew I forgot an important variable in whey shake timing.

Originally Posted by camlam View Post
    Honestly dude!
    Fat is fat "healthy" food or not it's still fat
    Yes. but like I said I'm a skinny guy.. putting on some fat isn't a bad thing..

and when I went from 160 to 185 in those 3 months ... I looked better than I ever had before physically and was in the best shape of my life... I actually added about 5 inches to my vertical jump and had way more endurance on the basketball court.

and all of that from cutting junk food completely out of my diet and lifting weights 4 times a week ( I had never lifted weights in my life before that )..

so whatever that weight was - fat, muscle, water, bone, hair, whatever.. I don't care, I want that again!

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ahhh interesting.. thanks for the reply.
    No problem. Just remember that even if you do everything perfect with diet and training (which you wont - *wink* ) you're looking at 1.5lbs of muscle per month, or 4.5lbs of muscle in 3 months.

If you gain 30lbs of weight in 3 months training right and eating perfectly, only 4.5lbs (15%) will actually be muscle tissue, with the rest being pure bodyfat (i'm assuming we can leave out the extra water weight here).

To gain 30lbs in 3 months, you'd need to gain 2.5 pounds per week, and 85% of it will be fat. You'd need to consume 1,250 calories over maintenance every day. As you gain weight, your maintenance will increase and you will need well over 5000 calories per day to maintain that rate of weight gain.

Care to rethink your plan?

Thanks for the breakdown, really helpful.

Pretty much I want what I had when I went from 160 to 185 in 3 months - because like I said, I looked better than ever, I actually had some meat and muscle on my arms and chest for the first time ever.. And I was stronger and jumping higher than I ever have before.

So if that was just 4 pounds of muscle and 21 pounds of fat and water ... I will take that if I look better, jump higher, stronger, and more healthy than I am now.

So if that was just 4 pounds of muscle and 21 pounds of fat and water ... I will take that if I look better, jump higher, stronger, and more healthy than I am now.
    Sounds good. If you're very lean/lanky, then you may definitely look better with 4lbs muscle and 20 pounds of fat & water. We have no pics to confirm, but it's your body and your decision. Good luck!

Yeah I think that's what the other guys are not understanding - it may be my fault for the confusion.

But for how skinny I am, a 20/5 ratio would make me look way better as long as all the fat isn't just going straight to my stomach.

So THAT is my goal.. I would look weird as hell with 30lbs of pure muscle on the body I have now anyways. Once I get to 200 pounds, then I will worry about turning the fat into muscle at whatever rate is reasonable.

dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You will stick to the standard times, but during a snow storm, a casein/whey blend has been shown to be nearly twice as effective as whey alone.
    Guy! Specify the ratio at which to mix the whey and casein. How else will we know?

martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martyr5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    No problem. Just remember that even if you do everything perfect with diet and training (which you wont - *wink* ) you're looking at 1.5lbs of muscle per month, or 4.5lbs of muscle in 3 months.

If you gain 30lbs of weight in 3 months training right and eating perfectly, only 4.5lbs (15%) will actually be muscle tissue, with the rest being pure bodyfat (i'm assuming we can leave out the extra water weight here).

To gain 30lbs in 3 months, you'd need to gain 2.5 pounds per week, and 85% of it will be fat. You'd need to consume 1,250 calories over maintenance every day. As you gain weight, your maintenance will increase and you will need well over 5000 calories per day to maintain that rate of weight gain.

Care to rethink your plan?
    Were did you get that 1.5 pound of muscle a month figure from?

CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrunchTime06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it depends on your schedule really. I find it hard to get my breakfast in so i usually take it at breakfast and then one again after my workout. It all depends on how your schedule looks tho.

azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) azurejer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The third moon in September is the only day one can do so safely IMO

Originally Posted by martyr5 View Post
    Were did you get that 1.5 pound of muscle a month figure from?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html