michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000)

Grad school decision freak out!

A few months ago I posted about losing my job. I was in a pretty crappy place at that point, because I was fearing the prospect of having to find another job I was miserable at, like I had been for the past four years. Since I'm totally self-deprecating, I honestly feared that my odds of acceptance to Masters programs was slim.

Well, it turns out that I was completely wrong. While I've been whiling away the time in the gym, running, and watching way too much TV, the admissions committees were actually deciding that they WANTED ME. I'm still waiting on one school, but out of the other 7, I was accepted to 6, and wait listed at one. Are you kidding me? I even got into an Ivy League, wtf?? I never thought that I was going to be the one in the position of handing out the rejections, but here I am!

Unfortunately, my field doesn't offer much financial aid, so I'll be taking out a fair bit in loans, but luckily I have no debt from undergrad. And to be 100% honest, I would rather have to live on ramen for the rest of my life while struggling to pay off debt and loving my job than take another job as a secretary (which is what I was doing before I got fired, basically for hating my job so much, haha).

Anyway, I know this sounds like blog post, but what I'm really looking for is advice from those of you who have been in the same position, are grad students now, already have your Masters, etc. Are you happy? Do you regret it? How'd you choose your school? Does school name have an effect on job prospects? Any other advice? I'm all ears right now while I try to make a decision!
    "success is a journey, not a destination" -most profound fortune cookie ever!

Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raspi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This was me last summer. The feeling is so exhilarating!! (Despite the many rejections.) But, congratulations on your many acceptances!!!!

I have a BSc under my belt, but really didn't know what to do with it. There were only a few job prospects, and I needed something solid. Applied for Optometry school. I'll be finished with first year at the end of May. 3 more years to go. And, I can't be happier with where I am.

Choosing a school wasn't too difficult. I applied to selective schools based on location, and board results. I chose one with high relevance on clinical skills, even though board results weren't up to par. Grad school is VERY different from undergrad, in that you can't solely rely on professors, but have to teach yourself too. All that matters is I pass my boards.

So:
    What program did you apply for? How long is it? Where do you see yourself after you finish your program? How's the job market once you're done? Will it be easy to pay loans? (Make sure this is what you want to get into! It's not worth dropping out, and having a huge loan.) And, most of all, make sure it's what you love doing. Judging from your post, you wouldn't have applied unless you didn't like it (:

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm in the field of education, and you can't do diddly squat without at least a masters degree, so, no, I don't regret it at all.

Also, in terms of education, I had a blast during grad school. My program was pretty open-minded about structure. With the help of my advisor, I created a degree program that consisted of a variety of classes offered all over campus. I loved the variety that I was allowed to have and the feeling of ownership. I realize that this isn't the norm, but it's my grad school experience and I was thrilled with it.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000) michpc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the input, ladies! Simpy, in my field it's similar, though not a requirement per se...you can snag a very very entry level job out of undergrad with a lot of luck and amazing connections, but you really need the Masters as it's a professional program that teaches a lot of skills that the employer therefore doesn't have to train.

Originally Posted by Raspi View Post
    This was me last summer. The feeling is so exhilarating!! (Despite the many rejections.) But, congratulations on your many acceptances!!!!

I have a BSc under my belt, but really didn't know what to do with it. There were only a few job prospects, and I needed something solid. Applied for Optometry school. I'll be finished with first year at the end of May. 3 more years to go. And, I can't be happier with where I am.

Choosing a school wasn't too difficult. I applied to selective schools based on location, and board results. I chose one with high relevance on clinical skills, even though board results weren't up to par. Grad school is VERY different from undergrad, in that you can't solely rely on professors, but have to teach yourself too. All that matters is I pass my boards.

So:
    What program did you apply for? How long is it? Where do you see yourself after you finish your program? How's the job market once you're done? Will it be easy to pay loans? (Make sure this is what you want to get into! It's not worth dropping out, and having a huge loan.) And, most of all, make sure it's what you love doing. Judging from your post, you wouldn't have applied unless you didn't like it (:
    I'm going into historic preservation (of the built environment). To be honest, I think it might be a little bit of a struggle to pay my loans, but if I get a government job, there's the 10 year loan forgiveness program, which would be really enticing. Though I'm sure a lot of people have this in mind, a lot of preservation jobs are also in the public sector. It's what I'm really passionate, so going or not isn't really the question, it's just WHERE? One of the schools I'm considering is much more expensive than the other two, but it's hard to say how many more professional connections getting a degree from a really prestigious university will afford me. The cost of living in that city is also very low, which will lessen the blow a bit. Other options are moving to the South, or heading to Vermont and skiing the winters away :-P. I think they're all good programs, which makes things harder! My sister is currently pursuing a phD at a different school in the same city as expensive school, so she's obviously lobbying for me to go there. We'll see.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by michpc View Post
    Thanks for the input, ladies! Simpy, in my field it's similar, though not a requirement per se...you can snag a very very entry level job out of undergrad with a lot of luck and amazing connections, but you really need the Masters as it's a professional program that teaches a lot of skills that the employer therefore doesn't have to train.

I'm going into historic preservation (of the built environment). To be honest, I think it might be a little bit of a struggle to pay my loans, but if I get a government job, there's the 10 year loan forgiveness program, which would be really enticing. Though I'm sure a lot of people have this in mind, a lot of preservation jobs are also in the public sector. It's what I'm really passionate, so going or not isn't really the question, it's just WHERE? One of the schools I'm considering is much more expensive than the other two, but it's hard to say how many more professional connections getting a degree from a really prestigious university will afford me. The cost of living in that city is also very low, which will lessen the blow a bit. Other options are moving to the South, or heading to Vermont and skiing the winters away :-P. I think they're all good programs, which makes things harder! My sister is currently pursuing a phD at a different school in the same city as expensive school, so she's obviously lobbying for me to go there. We'll see.
    Come to UK. We have a Masters in Historic Preservation, and I've met most of the faculty; they are all quite fantastic. Plus, warmer winters here. *enticing*
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    Come to UK. We have a Masters in Historic Preservation, and I've met most of the faculty; they are all quite fantastic. Plus, warmer winters here. *enticing*
    You know, I didn't even think of going to school overseas...probably would be fun! But, I'm stuck here, so I need to make a decision from the options I have. I think my brow is permanently furrowed at the moment.

get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250) get_hype has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'll try to offer some advice as I'm currently finishing up grad school (master of public policy)

I only applied to 3 schools (1 "backup"). Was accepted to the backup and 1 other, so I had a pretty easy choice. If I was to give any advice it would be to consider the following.

1. Money. I don't mind taking out loans for tuition, but I HATE that I had to take out loans for cost of living. If you're starting in the fall, get a job now and save up what you can. You will appreciate it when you actually have money to pay rent and enjoy life later.

2. Career services. This is probably the single most important part of a grad program IMO. Make sure wherever you go has a solid alum network, and good connections for potential employers (including internship sites). Ask about this, and find out what many alums are doing, not just the ones they highlight on the website.

3. Vibe. Visit the schools you are seriously considering. Talk to students, faculty, and staff. Sit in on a class. I chose my program bc it's intense academically, but everyone is not super-competitive against each other, if that makes sense.

4. Location. Kind of related to all of the above, but choose a school which gives good access to internships, future jobs, and other relevant resources. I go to a public policy school and am in an area with TONS of nonprofits, and I'm in the capital of the state so there are lots of government opportunities. And of course, it's always nice to personally enjoy the place where you'll spend 2+ years.

5. Listen to your gut Don't choose a place JUST because the price is good, or the location is great. But don't forget that the factors above are important.
    The obstacle ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

Thank you for this advice! I probably won't be moving till sometime this summer (my lease ends July 31, so hopefully I'll move early or mid-July), but I am definitely hoping to find a job to support living costs. The one thing that my miserable former job has given me is admin experience that I can hopefully use to find something.

I've already been to one of my top choices (my sister went there for undergrad), and will be visiting the other two in the next couple weeks. Really hoping that helps!

Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate this advice...so much to think about in the next couple weeks.

Originally Posted by get_hype View Post
    I'll try to offer some advice as I'm currently finishing up grad school (master of public policy)

I only applied to 3 schools (1 "backup"). Was accepted to the backup and 1 other, so I had a pretty easy choice. If I was to give any advice it would be to consider the following.

1. Money. I don't mind taking out loans for tuition, but I HATE that I had to take out loans for cost of living. If you're starting in the fall, get a job now and save up what you can. You will appreciate it when you actually have money to pay rent and enjoy life later.

2. Career services. This is probably the single most important part of a grad program IMO. Make sure wherever you go has a solid alum network, and good connections for potential employers (including internship sites). Ask about this, and find out what many alums are doing, not just the ones they highlight on the website.

3. Vibe. Visit the schools you are seriously considering. Talk to students, faculty, and staff. Sit in on a class. I chose my program bc it's intense academically, but everyone is not super-competitive against each other, if that makes sense.

4. Location. Kind of related to all of the above, but choose a school which gives good access to internships, future jobs, and other relevant resources. I go to a public policy school and am in an area with TONS of nonprofits, and I'm in the capital of the state so there are lots of government opportunities. And of course, it's always nice to personally enjoy the place where you'll spend 2+ years.

5. Listen to your gut Don't choose a place JUST because the price is good, or the location is great. But don't forget that the factors above are important.

ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go to the Ivy League school if money is not going to be a big issue (if it costs like 3 grand extra, I wouldn't consider that a hindrance). There's a major subset of employers who will drool all over you if you went to an Ivy. Your alma mater will likely follow you for the rest of your life. I remember when applying for residency in medical school, many programs wanted to see your undergrad transcripts - and it was not surprising to see that the people picked by the most competitive specialties in the end had gone to Ivies for undergrad.