Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000)

Why All The Paleo-Diet Hate Around Here?

I'm genuinely curious...

Now I understand if someone doesn't want to follow the paleo-diet because it's exclusion of grains, starchy vegetables, and processed foods; but by no means is this an unhealthy diet, unless I'm missing something.

I feel as though people are confusing the primary goal of nutrition (health) with a secondary goal of nutrition (physique and fitness goals).

I guess I'm just really curious as to why it gets knocked so hard? I'm not strictly paleo, but I am concious of exlcuding grains and processed foods from my diet in an effort to not only lose weight, but also to force myself to eat more vegetables and fruits.

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by athletesfirst View Post
    I'm genuinely curious...

Now I understand if someone doesn't want to follow the paleo-diet because it's exclusion of grains, starchy vegetables, and processed foods; but by no means is this an unhealthy diet, unless I'm missing something.

I feel as though people are confusing the primary goal of nutrition (health) with a secondary goal of nutrition (physique and fitness goals).

I guess I'm just really curious as to why it gets knocked so hard? I'm not strictly paleo, but I am concious of exlcuding grains and processed foods from my diet in an effort to not only lose weight, but also to force myself to eat more vegetables and fruits.
    It's pseudo-science, tries to disprove cals in/cals out but can't

mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm genuinely curious...

this is bodybuilding.com not iwannaliveto100.com first of all.

athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    I haven't read much literature on it, I just know the basic principles of excluding processed foods and eating meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

Why ruin a good thing with unfounded claims...

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    As long as you believe in fairies, and do lots of kipping pull-ups & sloppy olympic lifts to failure, then Paleo should be perfect for you.

RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    As long as you believe in fairies, do lots of kipping pull-ups & sloppy olympic lifts to failure, Paleo should be perfect for you.
    lol

Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm genuinely curious...

It's not so much the cutting out of one of the most delicious forms of food, as it is the smug d-bag attitude that comes along with being prejudiced against an entire food group.

"Oh you eat grains, wow. I eat nothing but twigs and berries, it's like, totally more healthy because the cavemen did it. There are still tons of them around and they are shredded as fawk."

But, I'm not really a huge fan of fad diets... Atkins was lame too brah.

bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm genuinely curious...

The hate is that a normal diet can be just as healthy for the most part. If you take out all processed oils, fast food, fizzy drinks etc and add a lot of veggies and protein its almost the same.

I say almost, because of the fact most people still eat grains. My personal view is that no, humans are not meant to be eating them, but at the end of the day were living in a modern world, where work usualy gets in the way of steak and veggies for every meal. I havn't seen a study that points to grains as being especially unhealthy, however if you feel worse with them in your diet, cut them out...it's as simple as that.

Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't hate Paleo (even though I say I do), I just don't like members slamming on food groups (like grains) saying they are bad and the cause of obesity. It simply isn't true. It seems like Paleo dieters also happen to be crossfitters. I don't like the arrogant smug attitude they tend to have and believe what they are doing is superior.

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't read much literature on it, I just know the basic principles of excluding processed foods and eating meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

Why ruin a good thing with unfounded claims...
    Point exactly. You haven't read much literature on it. It's not a good thing if it makes you believe in false information. Also the fact that "paleo" is completely subjective and can mean a million different things

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As long as you believe in fairies, and do lots of kipping pull-ups & sloppy olympic lifts to failure, then Paleo should be perfect for you.

I guess I just don't understand how a diet consisting of meat, poultry, vegetables, fruits, and nuts can be condemned?

Someone else alluded to the fact that the writers / creators of the "modern day" Paleo Diet have tried to make unfounded claims about the calories in vs. calories out debate, and I completely agree that the key to losing weight is hitting your macros while being in a caloric deficit -- but, what's wrong with eating more whole unprocessed foods?

Originally Posted by Ghosting View Post
    I don't hate Paleo (even though I say I do), I just don't like members slamming on food groups (like grains) saying they are bad and the cause of obesity. It simply isn't true. It seems like Paleo dieters also happen to be crossfitters. I don't like the arrogant smug attitude they tend to have and believe what they are doing is superior.
    Competitive PL'er and rugby player -- again not strictly paleo although I do try to exclude grains and processed foods, but thats more to a tune of eating more vegetables and fruits rather than grains in an effort to feel better, lose weight, and eat more healthy.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    I guess I just don't understand how a diet consisting of meat, poultry, vegetables, fruits, and nuts can be condemned?

Someone else alluded to the fact that the writers / creators of the "modern day" Paleo Diet have tried to make unfounded claims about the calories in vs. calories out debate, and I completely agree that the key to losing weight is hitting your macros while being in a caloric deficit -- but, what's wrong with eating more whole unprocessed foods?
    Link me to anywhere anyone claimed that anything was wrong with meat, poultry, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. We can start there.

The next thing you can do is show me how the weight of the scientific evidence demonstrates the overall negative health consequences of grains, legumes, & dairy.

The final thing you can attempt to do is show me the comparative research matching macronutrition between a Paleo diet & a diet that contains non-Paleo foods, showing the superior effect of the Paleo diet on health indexes.

|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    STRONG Irony up in here......

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=132788483

I remember the good old days when you could ask a question, and politely get the answer you were hoping to get! What happened?
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It's more the people than the diet itself. If these people would just say, "I feel better when I cut out grains, dairy, etc." then I don't think anyone would have an issue with that. But they have an elitist attitude where their diet is the best and believe that it is backed by research all because they read a book or two written by men who CREATED the diet. Seek to confirm the null hypothesis, people.

Originally Posted by |progress| View Post

Thumbs up

Oh snap! You caught meh! YOU DONE CAUGHT MEH!!!!!

Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shrederator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mynameisuntz View Post
    It's more the people than the diet itself. If these people would just say, "I feel better when I cut out grains, dairy, etc." then I don't think anyone would have an issue with that. But they have an elitist attitude where their diet is the best and believe that it is backed by research all because they read a book or two written by men who CREATED the diet. Seek to confirm the null hypothesis, people.
    Argument against any organized religion. I mean, diet.

|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Oh snap! You caught meh! YOU DONE CAUGHT MEH!!!!!
    HA! Had to man. Literally just got through reading your thread.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Still doesn't getting it, dorp.

Roffles bro, that post was 100% not serious.

You must new, hmmm?

zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000)
    its because you give name to diets,that's why all the arguments occur.Learn that food is nothing but macronutrients.Stop thinking about recipes and ****,and just eat food.None of you invented the wheel and sure as hell none of you will create a magic diet and NAME it.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wait, are you serious? If so, strong misunderstanding of satire.
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

Thought the same until I read the book. They actually talk about calories in vs. calories out, must eat less to lose weight, etc.. Which I found rather ironic as well, considering they are telling you to eat as much as you want.....discredits the whole thing to an extent.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Roffles bro, that post was 100% not serious.

You must new, hmmm?
    It wasn't obvious through the 9 pages. Not at all. Should be held as the bible for the nutrition board.

Originally Posted by braggable View Post
    Wait, are you serious? If so, strong misunderstanding of satire.
    Yes, there is a strong lack of satire recognition in here.......
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Link me to anywhere anyone claimed that anything was wrong with meat, poultry, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. We can start there.

The next thing you can do is show me how the weight of the scientific evidence demonstrates the overall negative health consequences of grains, legumes, & dairy.

The final thing you can attempt to do is show me the comparative research matching macronutrition between a Paleo diet & a diet that contains non-Paleo foods, showing the superior effect of the Paleo diet on health indexes.
    1: I will dig up posts here about how the Paleo Diet is "unhealthy" because it excludes grains, completely anectdotal but the point was still made.

2: I never made the claim that grains, legumes, or dairy posed any negative health effects. I actually said quite the contrary, and admitted that I do not consider myself paleo...

"Competitive PL'er and rugby player -- again not strictly paleo although I do try to exclude grains and processed foods, but thats more to a tune of eating more vegetables and fruits rather than grains in an effort to feel better, lose weight, and eat more healthy. "

"Someone else alluded to the fact that the writers / creators of the "modern day" Paleo Diet have tried to make unfounded claims about the calories in vs. calories out debate, and I completely agree that the key to losing weight is hitting your macros while being in a caloric deficit -- but, what's wrong with eating more whole unprocessed foods?"

3: My original post was asking this question's reciprocal, but you said it much more eloquently -- "Is there any evidence to state that the Paleo Diet is less healthy than a diet that contains non-Paleo foods?"

Thought the same until I read the book. They actually talk about calories in vs. calories out, must eat less to lose weight, etc.. Which I found rather ironic as well, considering they are telling you to eat as much as you want.....discredits the whole thing to an extent.
    That's the thing, there's no consensus. For example potatoes = natural vegetable. Oh wait, potatoes are too "new" for our bodies to comprehend, they must be a government conspiracy. Primitive people not obese? Monkey see monkey do at its finest

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Shrederator View Post
    Argument against any organized religion. I mean, diet.
    As long as organized religion doesn't force their agenda on me OR act elitist towards me when my beliefs or world view(s) differ, I don't have a problem with them, either.

Same goes with paleo! Which, in my personal experience, comes off as very cult-esque. And a judging, elitist one at that.

That's the thing, there's no consensus. For example potatoes = natural vegetable. Oh wait, potatoes are too "new" for our bodies to comprehend, they must be a government conspiracy. Primitive people not obese? Monkey see monkey do at its finest
    Exactly. I won't say it's a bad diet, in fact it's quite the opposite, but the way it's presented by those promoting it are doing so in a way it turns a lot of people off. Honestly, I think someone saw an opportunity to promote a diet to those people who tend to follow the green earth movement and make money off of it.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

1: I will dig up posts here about how the Paleo Diet is "unhealthy" because it excludes grains, completely anectdotal but the point was still made.
    I personally wouldn't argue that Paleo is "unhealthy" - at least not from a physiological standpoint.
    2: I never made the claim that grains, legumes, or dairy posed any negative health effects. I actually said quite the contrary, and admitted that I do not consider myself paleo...

"Competitive PL'er and rugby player -- again not strictly paleo although I do try to exclude grains and processed foods, but thats more to a tune of eating more vegetables and fruits rather than grains in an effort to feel better, lose weight, and eat more healthy. "

"Someone else alluded to the fact that the writers / creators of the "modern day" Paleo Diet have tried to make unfounded claims about the calories in vs. calories out debate, and I completely agree that the key to losing weight is hitting your macros while being in a caloric deficit -- but, what's wrong with eating more whole unprocessed foods?"
    You seem completely confused about the nature of the negative views toward Paleo seen around here.
    3: My original post was asking this question's reciprocal, but you said it much more eloquently -- "Is there any evidence to state that the Paleo Diet is less healthy than a diet that contains non-Paleo foods?"
    I actually am not sure what your point is. Paleo excludes a bunch of food groups & plenty of foods on a purely speculative, rather than scientific basis. If you know anything at all about how certain eating disorders develop (or get exacerbated), then you'd know that placing a "taboo" stamp on any food is a big part of it. And in the case of Paleo, the "taboo" stamp on potatoes, grains, dairy, legumes, etc is unwarranted in the first place. Get it?