Clam37 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can't get enough fat!

Hi all,

I've recently started a keto-ish diet. I've been averaging 50g of carbs or less and between 100-150g of protein. I'm having a really hard time getting my fat content up...only averaging 40-60g of healthy fats.

Suggestions??

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Coconut Oil, Must be the first fat intake for the day. Cook eggs in it, or put in coffee, right off the spoon. 3 tbls a day, = 45g fat.

Try bacon grease. Cook bacon and drain. I dont eat the bacon, its pretty much bad for your gut. U get 12g of fat from 1 tbl

Olive Oil, in salad or off the spoon. 14g per tbl

Ground Beef, 14g per 3oz

There is more, but these are my main intake of fats.
    STAY OFF THE SUGAR,

Good luck.

eginobili2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off what are your stats? Secondly what is a ketoish diet ,either you are on a keto diet or you're not. Thirdly , there are many foods high in fat (i.e , avocado oil, avocado, nuts, coconut oil as mentioned above, red meat, peanut butter just watch out for the sugar if your strictly on a keto diet which might take you out of ketosis .

Pyrojoe83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Avocados should be your friend. 12gcarbs (10 of which are fiber so 2 net) 21g fat and 2.9g protein in a medium avocado.... cant go wrong with that.

Originally Posted by rusrious View Post
    Coconut Oil, Must be the first fat intake for the day. Cook eggs in it, or put in coffee, right off the spoon. 3 tbls a day, = 45g fat.

Try bacon grease. Cook bacon and drain. I dont eat the bacon, its pretty much bad for your gut. U get 12g of fat from 1 tbl

Olive Oil, in salad or off the spoon. 14g per tbl

Ground Beef, 14g per 3oz

There is more, but these are my main intake of fats.
    STAY OFF THE SUGAR,

Good luck.

Thanks! That's very helpful

Originally Posted by eginobili2007 View Post
    First off what are your stats? Secondly what is a ketoish diet ,either you are on a keto diet or you're not. Thirdly , there are many foods high in fat (i.e , avocado oil, avocado, nuts, coconut oil as mentioned above, red meat, peanut butter just watch out for the sugar if your strictly on a keto diet which might take you out of ketosis .
    What do you mean by stats?

I'm a 24 year old female, overweight at 190 lbs, 5'5".

And by keto-ish, I've read about a hundred different articles suggesting the range can be from under 20g of carbs to under 50g of carbs. I try to stay under 50 and I'm successful 99.9% of the time. But I know that some people disagree and say 50 is to high to go into ketosis.

CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Clam37 View Post
    What do you mean by stats?

I'm a 24 year old female, overweight at 190 lbs, 5'5".

And by keto-ish, I've read about a hundred different articles suggesting the range can be from under 20g of carbs to under 50g of carbs. I try to stay under 50 and I'm successful 99.9% of the time. But I know that some people disagree and say 50 is to high to go into ketosis.
    I agree with the above sentiment, Avocados are definitely a keto diets best friend. To me it looks like your Carb and Protein intake is way too high to allow you into ketosis, unless you are killing it in the gym hardcore every day. I would maybe swing by a Barnes and Noble and check out their cookbook section, they usually have a lot of books on keto cooking. Write down the names and then order that from Amazon (B&N is way overpriced haha)

To start, rather than stabbing in the dark at what may and may not work and being in a ketoish state, I would suggest spending sometime figuring out what your TDEE is and then what your calorie deficit should be. Once you have the calories you are aiming for nailed down, then do the math to figure out how many grams you should be eating of each type to be in true ketosis.

For getting into Ketosis, every thing that I have read from credible sources have stated that the best ratios to work with are either the 70/20/10 or 70/25/5 splits (Percentages of Fat/Protein/Carb respectively). Mind you this is just a basic number, and each individual varies based on their own body chemistry, but this seems to work the best.

The math seems daunting but is pretty simple. As an example, using what you provided (and making some guesses on my own on what you didn't) I used a IIFYM calculator to get your TDEE. I put in a 24yo female, 190pds with a desire to get down to 135pds (guessed here). Used the total body weight formula, described your daily activities/job as sedentary and had you working out 5 days a week with 30 mins of exercise/cardio per day at a moderate rate.

This gave me a TDEE of 2,018 calories (the calories that you burn just doing what you do and what you need to eat to remain the same size now). Setting it at a 15% drop in calories for moderate weight loss you should be consuming no more than 1,614 cals a day. Now if you use the 70/20/10 split you should be consuming 125.53g of Fat, 80.7g of protein and 40.35g of Carbs.

To get to those numbers all you have to do is take your suggested daily caloric intake, 1,614 for example, and then multiply that by the percentage of one of the three caloric sources (70% fat/ 20% pro./10% carbs). So 1614*.70=1,129.8 Fat Calories, 1614*.20=322.8 Protein Calories and 1614*.10=161.4 Carb Calories.

Once you have the number of calories that you should be getting from each source figured out you will then have to figure out how those calories equate to grams. To do this you just need to divide. There are 4 calories per gram of Carbs, 4 calories per gram of Protein and 9 calories per gram of Fat. You take your numbers above and divide accordingly.

1129.8/9-125.53g
    322.8/4=80.7g
    161.4/4=40.35g.

I would start by trying the 70/20/10 split I showed and using your own numbers rather than my estimation of daily caloric needs (your number may be a lot higher depenjding on how hard and long you train each day, i just guessed at a small rate) and then moving those numbers around as you see fit. Some people do good with 10% of their daily intake coming from net carbs, some need to drop it down to 5% and some can take it up to 15% and stay in ketosis. Everybody is different. Just make sure that if you cut your carbs down you aren't compensating by upping your protein too high as protein can also be changed to glucose and will still knock you out of ketosis.

Sorry for being such a long post, but hopefully this helps you in some way, just saw your numbers and thought they looked off as you were eating nearly as much protein as me and I am 6'3'' and well into the 200s. .
    Last edited by CresMagni; 07-06-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarified my math

Thanks CresMagni! That info was incredibly helpful and I'm gonna run with it!