JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any standard barbell power racks?

Are there any power racks that will take a standard barbell? I'm not too concerned about the weight itself since I've had 390lb on it for the deadlift and I don't think I'll be squatting that any time soon lol. Just obviously, the standard barbell doesn't seem wide enough for the cages. Kind of trying to avoid getting an olympic bar because I have all standard bars and plates now, so... just need a safe way to squat @ home.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JohnBlaze5 View Post
    Are there any power racks that will take a standard barbell? I'm not too concerned about the weight itself since I've had 390lb on it for the deadlift and I don't think I'll be squatting that any time soon lol. Just obviously, the standard barbell doesn't seem wide enough for the cages. Kind of trying to avoid getting an olympic bar because I have all standard bars and plates now, so... just need a safe way to squat @ home.
    Your only option if you're set on keeping your standard weights is to buy a 7ft standard bar, no one makes a full cage for 5ft bars.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnBlaze5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmm... interesting idea are the 7' foot standard bars strong enough?

I've put 390lb on my standard bar and it didn't bend / break, but as I was searching online last night, apperently standard bars are only supposed to hold 250lbs??!! If thats really true, I'm surprised my bar didn't break / bend as I've deadlifted 390lb with it many times.

It did however get *destroyed* when I dropped 330lb from an ill fated squat and it landed on the back of a chair LOL. Well, maybe not LOL, I'm still recovering from that ill fated squat.

I'd think a 7' foot standard bar would be kinda flimsy because the weight is further out.

I do remember I had the loaded bar on my bench and didn't feel like unloading it for flys so I just moved the 2 plates further out to the edge and it started to bend, so thats my concern about the 7' bar.

I guess new plates wll only be a few hundred... rather just keep my current plates if the 7' bar is strong enough

EDIT: Hmm.. a buddy told me that the bars are rated for 1/2 the weight they can really hold? Is that true?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

EDIT: Hmm.. a buddy told me that the bars are rated for 1/2 the weight they can really hold? Is that true?
    Cheap Olympic bars are usually rated at 500 if anything and several guys have bent them with less on it.

If you are squatting over 300, its time to step up to the big boy toys and get an Olympic set.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've also got to agree with the others about going to an olympic bar. I don't know how much weight you have in standard plates, but if you try selling them on CL you should be able to get close to what you'd pay for oly plates on CL. Oly sets sell at Dick's Sporting goods for about $150 on sale for a 300 lb. set so that would be a good starting point including a bar.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've put 390lb on my standard bar and it didn't bend / break, but as I was searching online last night, apperently standard bars are only supposed to hold 250lbs??!! If thats really true, I'm surprised my bar didn't break / bend as I've deadlifted 390lb with it many times.

Bending is one thing, but you can also make them snap in half. This is only partially related, but I remember reading an article where a guy was doing a clean and jerk, bar snapped, cut his throat. Article was from Ivanko, "How to Break an Olympic Bar", I believe.

If your bar is rated at 250, you're pushing your luck every time you go over that limit. Like your friend said, I'm sure that manufacturers do buffer the bar ratings significantly, but that's a safety precaution. It's not like overclocking your PC, this is your livelihood.

When it comes to lifting weights, pony up and get the right equipment for the job. Sounds like you're doing some pretty big weights and if you're not, then I'm sure you soon will be. Over-protection is better than questionable protection.

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    apperently standard bars are only supposed to hold 250lbs??!!
    Ivanko makes the B-86 standard bar that is rated at over 1000 lbs. I cant link you to it because of the post limit, but Its on their web page. Not recommending for you to go one way or the other on the Olympic stuff, but there are good quality standard bars out there if you look.
    "B-86 BAR
    An extra-high strength alloy steel bar MADE IN THE USA.
    This 7'2" bar, 1.1 dia. (28mm) is engineered to hold well over 1,000 lbs of regular cast iron plates.

+ Mag-tested.
    + Ultra-sonic tested.
    + X-ray tested.
    + Special straightness specified (less than .006 per ft. t.i.r.)
    + Ground and polished.
    + Ends ground to 1 1/16" diameter to hold regular plates.
    + Beautiful black oxide finish.
    + Shipped in protective cardboard tube."
    Last edited by donforeman; 03-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds solid, but at what cost?

Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    Ivanko makes the B-86 standard bar that is rated at over 1000 lbs. I cant link you to it because of the post limit, but Its on their web page. Not recommending for you to go one way or the other on the Olympic stuff, but there are good quality standard bars out there if you look.
    "B-86 BAR
    An extra-high strength alloy steel bar MADE IN THE USA.
    This 7'2" bar, 1.1 dia. (28mm) is engineered to hold well over 1,000 lbs of regular cast iron plates.

+ Mag-tested.
    + Ultra-sonic tested.
    + X-ray tested.
    + Special straightness specified (less than .006 per ft. t.i.r.)
    + Ground and polished.
    + Ends ground to 1 1/16" diameter to hold regular plates.
    + Beautiful black oxide finish.
    + Shipped in protective cardboard tube."

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ninjaneer View Post
    Sounds solid, but at what cost?
    That's where your supposed to email and find out. They only have full list prices on their web page. I did email them about some other products and they did say that they are going to change up their web page to be more user friendly next month. Until then you have to email and ask.

I did find a few other standard bars but they were not in the same league as the b-86.
    Ivanko has some other bars -
    Hampton has a 28mm bar in three lengths with 1" ends rated for 300 lbs
    Body solid has a cold rolled steel 1-1/16 bar in two lengths both lenghts claim to fit Olympic benches, but I didnt email to find out the specs.
    Other countries seem to have a better selection of standard bars, some are up to 30mm.
    Again I'm not saying the original poster should go one way or the other Olympic wise (I have both at the moment), just putting out a little info just in case its needed.
    Last edited by donforeman; 03-20-2011 at 07:17 AM.