Thread: Skinny fat

Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Skinny fat

Apologies for another Skinny fat topic, as I know there's already so many out there. But I'd like to think this one is a bit different. I'm 5'10" 135lbs and around 15-20% BF, all my fat sits on my stomach and love handles. Now here's the thing..

I've been lifting for a few months but due to a medical condition I have to workout from home with minimal equipment, what I have is the following:

Pull up bar
    Barbell with around 50lbs of weight
    2x25 dumbbells

I don't even have a bench.

My routine is;

Monday - Chest/Bi's/Abs
    Tuesday - Back/Tri's
    Wednesday - Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday - Chest/Bi's/Abs
    Friday - Back/Tri's
    Saturday - Shoulders/Traps
    Sunday - Off

I do not work legs as they are pretty overpowering compared to my upper body, guess that's just genetics/years of soccer.

I don't really do a wide range of exercises as I'm obviously limited by equipment but it's something like this:

Chest - 3x12 flyes, 3x20 wide grip pushup, 3x12 dumbbell press (on floor)
    Biceps - 3x10 dumbbell curl, 3x10 barbell curl
    Triceps - 3x12 close grip bench (on floor), 3x12 skullcrusher
    Back - 3x until failure pullups, 3x until failure chinups, 3x12 bent over rows
    Traps - 3x12 dumbbell shrug
    Shoulders - 3x12 dumbbell front raise, 3x12 lateral raise, 3x12 upright row

As you can see it's not really that effective but I'm just trying to make use of what I have right now.

So moving onto my main concern, whether to cut/bulk or recomp, I'm worried I've wasted my "noob gains" by lifting like this for a few months but I don't know. At the moment I haven't really been doing anything, haven't counted calories, I've just made sure I've been getting atleast 1g protein/lb of body weight every single day. I've definitely gained some size in my Chest and Arms since I started but it's pretty slow progress and I don't have any before pictures to compare to (can post current pictures on request).

Now I know 90% of people here say bulk as you have nothing to cut down to when dealing with Skinny fat topics, but the thing is I'm scared of putting on ALOT of fat due to the reason that I can't hit the gym and have to stick with my 50lbs max of weights, I'd think I'd need to lift alot harder than that as I'm bulking, but I don't know. Also my stomach is ridiculous and to be honest, I'd rather cut down to 10% even if it means dropping to 125lbs and then starting from a lean base, I actually struggle to eat alot as I have no appetite, I've probably dropped 5lbs since I started a few months ago by not counting calories which just shows you how much I eat, I'd have a much easier time cutting than bulking.

I'm just debating on these two choices:

1. Cut for summer, get lean even if it means dropping 10-15lbs and looking skinny as phuck, I mean I already look skinny as phuck but I'd rather look lean and skinny than skinny fat right?

2. Very slow bulk, 100-200 calories above maintenance for 10 weeks and then see where I'm at, if I done this I'd probably purchase a bench and some more weights as I think bulking while only being able to lift light weights isn't very smart, but what would I know, that's why I'm asking.

Any advice will be considered, thanks
    ░░░░█▒▒▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
    ░░▄▀▒▒▒▄█████▄▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▄█████▄▒█
    ░█▒▒▒▒▐██▄████▌▒█▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐██▄████▌▒█
    ▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▀█████▀▒▒█▒░▄▒▄█▒▒▀█████▀▒▒▒█

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Way too long.

Please, spare me - 135 pounds, you need to bulk.
    You are not special, skinny fat people have no muscle and need to do a slow (!) controlled bulk with small surplus.

"I do not work legs as they are pretty overpowering compared to my upper body, guess that's just genetics/years of soccer."
    A mistake, legs are huge muscles and need to be trained.

Buy some more weights.

Good luck.

Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elebrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Way too long.

Please, spare me - 135 pounds, you need to bulk.
    You are not special, skinny fat people have no muscle and need to do a slow (!) controlled bulk with small surplus.

"I do not work legs as they are pretty overpowering compared to my upper body, guess that's just genetics/years of soccer."

Buy some more weights.

Good luck.
    Yeah I understand, I know some people can actually lower their BF% by going on a bulk if they don't gain much fat and gain alot of muscle and that will actually make them look leaner, but obviously lifting pussy weight isn't gonna pack much muscle on me, I guess I'll need to invest in some more weight regardless of which option I pick. Thanks.
    ░░░░█▒▒▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
    ░░▄▀▒▒▒▄█████▄▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▄█████▄▒█
    ░█▒▒▒▒▐██▄████▌▒█▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐██▄████▌▒█
    ▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▀█████▀▒▒█▒░▄▒▄█▒▒▀█████▀▒▒▒█

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Elebrah View Post
    Yeah I understand, I know some people can actually lower their BF% by going on a bulk if they don't gain much fat and gain alot of muscle and that will actually make them look leaner, but obviously lifting pussy weight isn't gonna pack much muscle on me, I guess I'll need to invest in some more weight regardless of which option I pick. Thanks.
    No problem, good luck, train hard

Registered User MusclesGlassess's Avatar
    MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10) MusclesGlassess is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Good luck.

Which would be more efficient for the leg muscles though? Running or leg presses squats etc.

Originally Posted by MusclesGlassess View Post
    Which would be more efficient for the leg muscles though? Running or leg presses squats etc.
    Squats (all kinds), lunges, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, machine exercises (always in addition to free weights, not to replace them), + sprints.
    Long distance running does nothing for legs in terms of hypertrophy.

jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MusclesGlassess View Post
    running = NOT good for building leg muscles!
    squats. deep ones. nice full range of motion. and deadlifts!