seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rotator cuff exercises to prevent/mitigate injury?

Hello everyone,

I'm just ending week 20 of my weight training hobby and I've started to hear some faint crinkling noises in my right shoulder. I have no pain or weakness that I can detect at this time. Two weeks ago I did feel like I tweaked my right shoulder while doing shoulder presses, and the next day there was some mild pain if I pressed directly on where I believe my right rotator cuff is located.

I'm going to dial back the intensity of my shoulder work for a couple of weeks. I also want to integrate some rotator cuff exercises. Are there any specific exercises that have worked well for the O35 crew? Are there specific exercises I should avoid?

I've been training very hard for 10 weeks without missing a day on my 4-day split. Maybe it's a good time to take a week off from the gym? I'm not excited about that, but I'd rather take 1 week off than risk injury.

Cheers,

Sean

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm just ending week 20 of my weight training hobby and I've started to hear some faint crinkling noises in my right shoulder. I have no pain or weakness that I can detect at this time. Two weeks ago I did feel like I tweaked my right shoulder while doing shoulder presses, and the next day there was some mild pain if I pressed directly on where I believe my right rotator cuff is located.

I'm going to dial back the intensity of my shoulder work for a couple of weeks. I also want to integrate some rotator cuff exercises. Are there any specific exercises that have worked well for the O35 crew? Are there specific exercises I should avoid?

I've been training very hard for 10 weeks without missing a day on my 4-day split. Maybe it's a good time to take a week off from the gym? I'm not excited about that, but I'd rather take 1 week off than risk injury.

Cheers,

Sean
    Good idea to give it a rest and good foresight to investigate strengthening them to prevent injury down the road. If you don't see marked improvement in a couple of weeks I would be inclined to see a physician. For general information on RC strengthening/training/etc. go to the following link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I lift heavy but I do very little rc exercises. However, i do make sure I:

1. Warm-up and stretch properly. For bench start with just the bar and move up. I also swing and wave my arms around...
    2. I also do a ton of face pulls and bent over rows. What I row is very close to what I bench....
    3. Proper form...

Not saying this THE way to do it, but it works for me.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vmpolesov is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The rotator cuff consist of four muscles:

Subscapularis
    Infrasupinatus
    Suprapinatus
    Teres minor

The following website may assist you in indentifying the problem area:
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...uff-injury.php
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    The rotator cuff consist of four muscles:

Subscapularis
    Infrasupinatus
    Suprapinatus
    Teres minor

The following website may assist you in indentifying the problem area:
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...uff-injury.php
    This is a great site. I found them last year and its helped me alot. My rc aint what it used to be. But it doesnt sound like rice crispies anymore.( snap, crackle, pop )
    But I would say about over 90% better.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geebee666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a shot rc and have tried most of the exercises around here, the most effective and seemingly useless is to flex the shoulders back as if trying to touch your shoulder blades together, I do it several times whenever I think of it and after most shoulder related exercises.

Do over head presses with a close grip, narrower than your shoulders as it takes the leverage of the shoulder joints.
    Before this I could not do military presses due to pain.

Both ideas from these forums.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by geebee666 View Post
    I have a shot rc and have tried most of the exercises around here, the most effective and seemingly useless is to flex the shoulders back as if trying to touch your shoulder blades together, I do it several times whenever I think of it and after most shoulder related exercises.

Do over head presses with a close grip, narrower than your shoulders as it takes the leverage of the shoulder joints.
    Before this I could not do military presses due to pain.

Both ideas from these forums.
    That's scapula retraction. Face pulls added to anyone's routine as an assistance exercise will strengthen them and is a great preventative exercise.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is all priceless information. I'm doing more homework tonight based on everyone's advice and links.

cowboybiker, the Rice Krispies analogy is perfect That's just about what it sounds like. It improved over the weekend. Based on what I've read so far, I may have tweaked my right deltoid. Which makes sense; I've been pushing them really hard. Until I switched to a cutting diet on March 1st (ends the 28th) I was getting some strange stretch marks on both traps/shoulders about once a week (after shoulders workout). I'm just guessing they were stretch marks, but they weren't really so much on the surface; instead they seemed a few skin layers down. Thin dark purple lines. It was unusual, as least to this n00b.

Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This exercise helped me the most with my shoulder recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0TMsw7W74

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cowboybiker View Post
    This is a great site. I found them last year and its helped me alot. My rc aint what it used to be. But it doesnt sound like rice crispies anymore.( snap, crackle, pop )
    But I would say about over 90% better.
    That's great.
    The only medical advice I think I would ask in a forum is a reference to a knowledgeable source of information.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since we're throwing out references.

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/index.asp

If you have the patience to learn to navigate the site and do some detailed reading, it's fantastic.

Try SCE to AUX

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    That's great.
    The only medical advice I think I would ask in a forum is a reference to a knowledgeable source of information.
    Couldnt agree more. I got tired of having to take pain killers just so I could sleep through the nite. Stretching and Yoga have helped me alot. Im able to do so much more than before. Now I can push some real weight.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

victorsteven1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) victorsteven1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) victorsteven1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

good for you

Hello everyone,

Cheers,

Sean

Let's hear it for common sense!!!! I applaud your brains. Your body is telling you something and you are listening. Any of us who have been through this will tell you it starts out as a little "tweak" and if you are dumb enough to go the "no pain no gain"
    route then you'll have pain constantly and no gains period. I used the search window and got the url for most of the articles here on BB.com

http://search3.bodybuilding.com/othe...uilding&getfie

you can copy and past that or click on it if it is a live link. You can also just search youtube for rotator cuff rehab/strengthening.

Injuries to rotator cuff aren't always easily apparent but one of the causes not usually discussed is overuse injury. The constant wear and tear without a break is common to cause weakness and eventual failure in this area.Most think you just hammer a muscle for years and then it finally decides to blossom and grow. While persistence is needed so is rest and change.

My own experience with a rotator cuff problem was my first pursuit of a 300 lb bench. I was almost there and then I started getting too much mobility in my shoulder , a little "twinge" and poundage's that started to drop. A more knowledgeable bodybuilder told me that my solution was to get off the flat bench press and change it up , allow my shoulder to rest from "that" and work my rotator cuff muscles. Injure yourself he said and you may ruin your shoulder and you don't want that. So I "dropped back" and of course he was right. I never regretted being smart instead of stupid.... so now when a body part speaks I listen...is it doms or something more problematic...???

Lot's of the guys here have told you," been there done that"....and some are wishing they could be where you are right now instead of needing surgery and or having a shoulder that is never going to be the same.

Neonebula2001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good link I am having some similar things with the crepitus (crunching) and need to strengthen the rotator cuffs on both sides.

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great input from all. Another good suggestion, perhaps on a rest day, work them small stabilizer muscles of the shoulder girdle. Daily stack of supplements may help as well.

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I do this warmup everytime i do any pressing or benching. It works great as a warmup and i stopped having shoulder problems. Also if you dont already, add facepulls into your routine.
    ā˜…cVcā˜…

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post

I do this warmup everytime i do any pressing or benching. It works great as a warmup and i stopped having shoulder problems. Also if you dont already, add facepulls into your routine.
    Thanks for the video clip; excellent. Good for warm-ups, but also good for those rehabbing shoulder injuries. I was shown the YTWL's in shoulder rehab. These simple excercises were quite beneficial in getting my active ROM back. Not only will the YTWL's, using light weight, give the lifter a good warm-up, but also targets many of the stabilizers that support the shoulder girdle - which in most cases are overlooked until injury. Again, thanks for the post, most appreciated for all of us to enjoy.

Other than the scapular pulls I can't do a single one of those movements

All I can say is take care of your shoulders.

Try SCE to AUX

Metamorphosis In Progress Gunnar70's Avatar
    Gunnar70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gunnar70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gunnar70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gunnar70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gunnar70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the video. I'm going to do these tonight before my workout! Several years ago I dislocated my left shoulder so I expected it to be injury prone, but this year when I started lifting again, I tweaked my right shoulder (On legs day!! Go figure.) I took a week off and it is slightly better, so hopefully these warmups help. Thanks again.
    Goals are a waste of time without commitment. Commitment is pointless without purpose.

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gunnar70 View Post
    Thanks for the video. I'm going to do these tonight before my workout! Several years ago I dislocated my left shoulder so I expected it to be injury prone, but this year when I started lifting again, I tweaked my right shoulder (On legs day!! Go figure.) I took a week off and it is slightly better, so hopefully these warmups help. Thanks again.
    I am more prone to shoulder pain when squatting than any other lift. I do this 2 minute warmup prior to squats as well and pain hasnt been back since.
    ā˜…cVcā˜…

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

aikmanr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally, I like using cables to train my rotator cuffs. In the past, I would injure my rotator cuff when doing bench. Later on, I started training rotator cuffs twice a week with cables. Since that time, I've been injury-free.

sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up Rotator cuff exercises

Lee Hayward recently posted a good YouTube video about rotator cuff exercises. I've been doing the exact same "warm up" exercises that he demonstrates for the past 5+ years before every lift day.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hello everyone,

Cheers,

Sean
    When I tore my RC, doc had me focus a lot on stretching my neck; turn head to side, and lean ear towards ground, both sides. Also, you can chicken wing yourself with a towel (gently). Grab towel with hand of arm that needs stretching behind the back. Other hand is in front and pulls the towel forward, thereby raising the chicken winged hand. Arm circles, as well as holding arms out, and doing palms up, palms down helps me too. For exercises, I had to do a weird rotate thingy, and lots of lateral raises. Hope that helps.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555