mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tips for making the pull-up bar on my power rack bearable?

The majority of my pull-ups are done with a bar that temporarily hooks into my bedroom door. However, since my home gym is in the basement - it's a pain.

I'd like to start doing pullups using my power rack, however the bar digs into my fingers. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can make it a bit more comfortable to use?

Keysfitness Power Rack
    Because if it were easy, I wouldn't be interested.

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you tried a towel ?
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000) mehdi84 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cowboybiker View Post
    Have you tried a towel ?
    I haven't used a towel, but I've used a shirt which certainly worked OK. I'm looking for a bit more of a permanent solution though. I've considered boxing tape, but haven't tried it just yet.

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Foam wrap ? maybe tape to keep it secure.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what's digging into your fingers, its hard for me to understand. I have a smooth bar on mine and it looks like yours is the same; I've never had this problem.

Tape might work, but its hard to say since I can't understand what's hurting. The only other thing I've seen is the foam padding that some manufacturers put on their bars. Actually I've only seen one do this, Fitness Gear (Dicks), and the powertec pullup bar looks like it might, but I'm not sure. The only problem is getting it on as these type of wraps are usually done prior to assembly.

You might also try some other type of padded "wrap" like what is used for tennis rackets or some bicycle grips. Just some suggestions.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Haleon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go get a $2 roll of electrical tape. Wrap it around the bar nice and tight for 2 layers.
    Reps on recharge: TangerineSky, TallDH

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    what's digging into your fingers, its hard for me to understand. .
    This....I have no idea what is digging into your fingers either. From the looks of the picture you've provided I'm assuming it's just the bar's knurling. Which if that's the case, if it bothers you that bad, get yourself a pair of gloves or just some larger dish washing sponges to hold in your hands when you do pull-ups.

Other than that, if something else is digging into your hands, please explain what it is.

Originally Posted by Haleon View Post
    Go get a $2 roll of electrical tape. Wrap it around the bar nice and tight for 2 layers.
    I wouldn't put tape on anything you want to grip. Over time (especially in the garage where it can get hot), the glue is going to squeeze out and get all over your hands and everything else you touch from there.

Duct and electrical tape are VERY bad about this.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Gloves? Or yeah id second the tennis tape.

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    tuff tech grippies

bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonfilet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Perhaps something like these:

http://www.a3bs.com/home-gyms/rotati...040_17741.html

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Systems-.../dp/B001LOQ40E

I had a similiar problem with a pullup bar I had, I used old motorcycle gloves which had good padding and I was ok.

highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highhung723 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Although tape in general is a bad idea because it will lose adhesiveness over time, maybe bike bar tape might work. It's made for grip and a biker will put his entire upper body weight on it, so it should be fairly durable. Plus they're only about $10/roll and it should be enough for both hands twice.

ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was thinking about putting a couple of pieces of insulating foam pipe covers since everyone talks about using a bigger grip even this doesn't add a whole lot.

http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/we...nsulation.aspx

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Seriously?

Try Vagisil. Or just wash out the sand with a vinegar and water mix.

Unless you have a bonafide medical condition, don't wear gloves. Man up, grab the bar, and pull your weight. Oh, and if going downstairs is a "pain", think about working cardio. I'm in a two-story house with a home gym in the basement and three children. I'm up at 05:00 to work out and I rountinely go from the basement to the second floor to take care of kids during the 05:00 to 06:30 daily workout. And I do the "Recon Ron" pull-up program on my Body-Solid GPR378 rack six days a week, without tape, rubber, or Vagisil on the pull-up bar. So, again, I say: Man up.

One more thing: I'm 50. Are you older? Stop whining.
    Last edited by AttyGuy; 03-18-2011 at 05:11 PM.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    So, again, I say: Man up.

One more thing: I'm 50. Are you older? Stop whining.
    lol - and I'm normally the grumpy one. Can't really say I disagree though.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    lol - and I'm normally the grumpy one. Can't really say I disagree though.
    Dude, I knew you'd like it!

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    This....I have no idea what is digging into your fingers either. From the looks of the picture you've provided I'm assuming it's just the bar's knurling. Which if that's the case, if it bothers you that bad, get yourself a pair of gloves or just some larger dish washing sponges to hold in your hands when you do pull-ups.

Other than that, if something else is digging into your hands, please explain what it is.
    It is exactly that. I've used plenty of pull up bars in the past, this one just seems to do a great job at digging into my hands like no other. To elaborate, the coating on the bar is very slick, so I don't get a really tight grip on the bar causing my hands to rub against it with each pull-up.

Gloves are certainly a solution. As is tape, though I hadn't considered the long term effect of it oozing glue. =/

I'll probably just pick up some boxing tape for my hands and/or lifting powder. I imagine that may just be all I need.
    Last edited by mehdi84; 03-18-2011 at 08:43 PM.

forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Athletic tape. The kind they use for taping ankles and wrapping pole vault poles. Its durable and the adhesive isn't ultra sticky.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mehdi84 View Post

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can make it a bit more comfortable to use?
    Put a set of Fat Gripz on the bar. No more sore hands, and a free forearm workout.

Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bicycle handlebar tape works very well

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Your rack looks almost identical to mine, except I have a different pull-up bar style. There is no shame in taking measures to make you comfortable if it means you can focus more on your lifts than the pain in your hands. I use these utility gloves for deadlifts. I like how they have just the right amount of padding while the material is still quite thin and pliable. I picked them up at the Home Depot.

I will eat your babies tamaneri's Avatar
    tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tamaneri is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    get some medical tape and tape the **** out of it.
    http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...dical-tape.jpg

jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrm992 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mehdi84 View Post
    It is exactly that. I've used plenty of pull up bars in the past, this one just seems to do a great job at digging into my hands like no other. To elaborate, the coating on the bar is very slick, so I don't get a really tight grip on the bar causing my hands to rub against it with each pull-up.

Gloves are certainly a solution. As is tape, though I hadn't considered the long term effect of it oozing glue. =/

I'll probably just pick up some boxing tape for my hands and/or lifting powder. I imagine that may just be all I need.
    I used to be a fat bastard with no upper boddy strength, and I've spent every single day for the past year doing assisted pull ups, till I was able to do real ones. Most of them were done on a bar wrapped in old, beat up, adhesive oozing athletic tape. If the bar is slick and you cant grip it, use athletic tape to get a grip, or use gloves if you have to. If the only problem is that it hurts your hands, keep doing them till you get calluses. Calluses are your friends.
    Down 138.6lbs so far, as of 3/31/11. Goal is to be at 8% bf at 180lbs by the end of the year