JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A question regarding tap water.

I tried to search quite a bit but haven't found any decent answers to this question so I thought I'd see if anybody here can provide some insight.

If it is true that hormones (estrogen related) such as those from contraceptive pills are being found in tiny quantities in sources of tap water, and said hormones are able to be re digested and potentially find their way into the bodies of humans where they might interfere with our endocrine system and hormone balance:

What measures could possibly be taken to treat the water which comes out of our taps in order to reduce the levels or effect of these hormones?

Basically I'm trying to learn if boiling or filtering tap water will destroy/remove the estrogen related compounds which are apparently increasingly present in our tap water.

dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JonnyF View Post
    I tried to search quite a bit but haven't found any decent answers to this question so I thought I'd see if anybody here can provide some insight.

If it is true that hormones (estrogen related) such as those from contraceptive pills are being found in tiny quantities in sources of tap water, and said hormones are able to be re digested and potentially find their way into the bodies of humans where they might interfere with our endocrine system and hormone balance:

What measures could possibly be taken to treat the water which comes out of our taps in order to reduce the levels or effect of these hormones?

Basically I'm trying to learn if boiling or filtering tap water will destroy/remove the estrogen related compounds which are apparently increasingly present in our tap water.
    Kind of answered the bolded question with the opening sentence of the following paragraph. I always drink filtered faucet water. Not because of estrogen related compounds found in the tap water as I can't comment on the truth of that. I do it because it simply tastes better.

JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonnyF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dizzzane View Post
    Kind of answered the bolded question with the opening sentence of the following paragraph. I always drink filtered faucet water. Not because of estrogen related compounds found in the tap water as I can't comment on the truth of that. I do it because it simply tastes better.
    I suppose filtration or boiling are the only possibilities yea, but I was wondering if either of them have any effect on the female hormones (if they're present).

I don't want peoples opinions on whether the levels of estrogen in water can or can not have a manifest effect on our hormone levels. Just want to know if the hormones could be destroyed by boiling the water or removed via filtration, if they were to be present.

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

We are talking about absurdly low quantities, but yes they do exist. Boiling / filtering will not take care of the compounds (unless you are collecting the steam to drink which is a little ridiculous whn you think of it), I believe you need one of those fancy multi-stage reverse osmosis filters to take care of it (and even then you won't get everything out).

From what I've heard, being concerned with the levels of medicine in tap water is tin-foil-hat level fear but I have not done a substantial amount of research into it either.
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs.

My 5/3/1 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142349681

jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyspaghettio is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    in on this thread
    iv always wondered about this too, but only because tap water is something i drink quite a bit of daily. I always filter it. I think thats enough considering how strict the laws are with tap. Prob. better than bottled thats the scary part...
    Your cage has no bars.

wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wolverine61 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i think drinking tap water is fine. i drink almost 2 gallons a day of it...
    ***ZYZZ CREW***

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I bought a RO setup at costco for $150ish, works great, tastes great. Whatever is in the tap water is drastically reduced, yadda yadda yadda.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My Quantitative Chemical Analysis prof always used to say that you can find almost every compound known to man in water if you had instruments and analysis methods capable of dectecting them at atomic levels.

Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I drink tap water and I am fine.

(notsrs)

X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    My Quantitative Chemical Analysis prof always used to say that you can find almost every compound known to man in water if you had instruments and analysis methods capable of dectecting them at atomic levels.
    This. You have to consider the practical effects of the chemicals, rather than the fact that they are merely present. Your body can safely handle small concentrations of a lot of bad stuff without any negative side effects. Put away your tinfoil hat and have some tap water. Besides, all of that estrogen in your tap water will be balanced out by all of the steroids they put in your beef. lol j/k

Just think about all of the horrible stuff in cigarettes. Then consider that it takes 30 years of smoking 20 of those things a day for you to develop emphysema/lung cancer.
    BSc in Exercise Science
    CAN-FIT-PRO Certified Personal Trainer
    Amateur MMA Fighter